190G Reef Predatory Fish

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 190 gallon reef, and I'd like to introduce a predatory animal to it eventually. To be more specific my tank's dimensions are 48"L x 30"W x 30"H. At the moment, I've got a maroon clownfish, rock beauty angelfish, rabbitfish, butter hamlet, and a honey red damselfish. They're all juveniles right now and are all anywhere from 2.5"-3.5", so obviously no preds yet. However, I've began stocking only fish that will eventually reach around 5"-6" long. The exception, of course, is the damselfish, as he might only grow another inch or so max to get to about 4". Aside from the damsel, I'm under the assumption that my current stocking list would eventually at least leave a predator in the conversation given they all reach their expected 5"+.

The candidates I had in mind were either a small lionfish, such as a dwarf fuzzy lionfish, or a small eel, such as a snowflake eel. I'm asking you guys on here because I haven't really found much information on keeping these animals with fish of my tank's size range. I hear a lionfish can eat anything that will fit in its mouth, but while I'm certainly not doubtful, I'm not exactly sure on what fish can fit in its mouth.

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same boat have a few fish is a rs 750xxl and would like to add a fuzzy dwarf. I know brs had it in theirs so I’m assuming it should be ok

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same boat have a few fish is a rs 750xxl and would like to add a fuzzy dwarf. I know brs had it in theirs so I’m assuming it should be ok
You'd think right especially purchasing it as a juvenile and allowing it to grow alongside everything else?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of those would be fine, just take note that the fuzzy lion can be a challenge to feed, click my name and 'find all threads" for some tips on their care. I do suggest an observation tank for both those species, especially the lion, not onlybassure their health but to establishba feeding regime. Eels also take special care in feeding.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either of those would be fine, just take note that the fuzzy lion can be a challenge to feed, click my name and 'find all threads" for some tips on their care. I do suggest an observation tank for both those species, especially the lion, not onlybassure their health but to establishba feeding regime. Eels also take special care in feeding.
Would you say the two are similar enough to do both at the same time? A part of me says it could make things easier if one observes the other eating, the one will follow suit. I'm not at all sure if I'd be correct to assume that. Or would you recommend one at a time, not introducing the other until the first is well established. If so, which, if it matters, should be introduced first? I'm also unsure if keeping both would be doable, so would you think I'd just have to pick one or the other?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you say the two are similar enough to do both at the same time? A part of me says it could make things easier if one observes the other eating, the one will follow suit. I'm not at all sure if I'd be correct to assume that. Or would you recommend one at a time, not introducing the other until the first is well established. If so, which, if it matters, should be introduced first? I'm also unsure if keeping both would be doable, so would you think I'd just have to pick one or the other?

You could keep them together in an observation tank together, I would suggest a 20 long. Make sure it is fully cycled, a cheap hob filter would be fine. These species eat on a gorge/ fast cycle so they will eliminate alot of waste alk at once. Many make the mistake of an inappropriate qt/observation and find out the hard way with ammonia spikes. I have also written some threads on eel care.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep them together in an observation tank together, I would suggest a 20 long. Make sure it is fully cycled, a cheap hob filter would be fine. These species eat on a gorge/ fast cycle so they will eliminate alot of waste alk at once. Many make the mistake of an inappropriate qt/observation and find out the hard way with ammonia spikes. I have also written some threads on eel care.
I've got a spare 20 high. Would that work assuming they're both juveniles? Or do you think they'll definitely need the long? And then by fully cycled you mean this shouldn't be treated as a QT? Or do you mean the QT should just be cycled prior to their introduction?

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean cycled as a having a biological filter. I suggest a 20 long for length for the eel. I think it will depend how big the eel is, you'll have to use your judgement. Just make sure the eel has a place to fully conceal his entire body and the lion has places to perch or even a cave.

OP
OP
T

Ty.S44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean cycled as a having a biological filter. I suggest a 20 long for length for the eel. I think it will depend how big the eel is, you'll have to use your judgement. Just make sure the eel has a place to fully conceal his entire body and the lion has places to perch or even a cave.

Do you have a recommended species of eel or another small lionfish? I know there's one of two more small species of lionfish and eel.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recommended species of eel or another small lionfish? I know there's one of two more small species of lionfish and eel.

If you scan through my threads you will find I profile many and have kept many.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back