OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other reason than I own one so I'm a little bias and I was trying to be a little funny ;)
LOL how do you like it?

I have been debating between the two but unfortunately it seems like waterbox doesn't have the greatest variety either? They do seem cheaper though which is nice

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long?
If it helps ours has doubled in just under 1 year....2" to 4". That was in a 4' 75g. I'm not sure if their growth slows in small tanks or not. Some think it does stunt them to an extent.

LOL how do you like it?

I have been debating between the two but unfortunately it seems like waterbox doesn't have the greatest variety either? They do seem cheaper though which is nice
We really like it. Most of the LFS around us have red seas as their own tanks and we looked at a lot of them. We were going to go with them as they are easier to get in the US (apparently) and they had the 900xxl which is 79".

But we found a local reefer with a 5 month old system he wanted to get rid of and ended up with our warerbox.

To be honest we think each has their pros and each has their cons.

Last edited:

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest looking into the Cade systems. They have a lot of really nice quality-of-life features and the price is very reasonable and competitive with Red Sea. I’m planning my next upgrade with their Reef 1800 S2.

It’s 71”x28”x24” (220 gallons) and $4200 compared to the Red Sea Reefer 3XL 900 (79”x26”x26” 240 gallon) at $4800.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps ours has doubled in just under 1 year....2" to 4". That was in a 4' 75g. I'm not sure if their growth slows in small tanks or not. Some think it does stunt them to an extent.

We really like it. Most of the LFS around us have red seas as their own tanks and we looked at a lot of them. We were going to go with them as they are easier to get in the US (apparently) and they had the 900xxl which is 79".

But we found a local reefer with a 5 month old system he wanted to get rid of and ended up with our warerbox.

To be honest u think each has their pros and each has their cons.

Very nice. Yeah I don't mind if it's not reefer if the price is right and it hase the size I want. Personally if I could get like a 6 foot that isn't 200 gallons I would because I don't need my renter being crushed by fish tank hahahah

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest looking into the Cade systems. They have a lot of really nice quality-of-life features and the price is very reasonable and competitive with Red Sea. I’m planning my next upgrade with their Reef 1800 S2.

Very nice I'll check now! Thank you. I have actually been looking for alternative companies that do the same but haven't found much.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Yeah I don't mind if it's not reefer if the price is right and it hase the size I want. Personally if I could get like a 6 foot that isn't 200 gallons I would because I don't need my renter being crushed by fish tank hahahah

If you can find a spot against a load bearing wall and have good floor joists, you should be fine. I don’t have the math in front of me, but I once calculated the pressure per square inch of a large tank when I lived in an apartment, and found that it was less than a football linebacker standing on one foot. If he wouldn’t fall through the floor, which is an absurd thought, the tank won’t either. It helps to have a flat bottom to the stand that spreads out the weight evenly. You don’t want any severe pressure points.

Now, if you were planning a 300+ gallon monster tank, then I’d probably have a contractor come in and check the floors. lol

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a spot against a load bearing wall and have good floor joists, you should be fine. I don’t have the math in front of me, but I once calculated the pressure per square inch of a large tank when I lived in an apartment, and found that it was less than a football linebacker standing on one foot. If he wouldn’t fall through the floor, which is an absurd thought, the tank won’t either. It helps to have a flat bottom to the stand that spreads out the weight evenly. You don’t want any severe pressure points.

Yeah I was gonna put perpendicular to my joists and up against the room walls that is the south wall of my house meaning the otherside of the wall is the outside. Which I think that means it's load bearing.

Totally but I think case aquariums by the looks of it have little feet. Might have to leave them off maybe? Or put a sheet of plywood or something underneath

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was gonna put perpendicular to my joists and up against the room walls that is the south wall of my house meaning the otherside of the wall is the outside. Which I think that means it's load bearing.

Totally but I think case aquariums by the looks of it have little feet. Might have to leave them off maybe? Or put a sheet of plywood or something underneath

Ah, I didn’t even register that since I’m in a ranch-style with concrete flooring. I’m not sure about the plywood. I’d see if the feet are detachable, first. They’ve thought through a lot of the small details on that tank, so I would be surprised if they weren’t.

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I didn’t even register that since I’m in a ranch-style with concrete flooring. I’m not sure about the plywood. I’d see if the feet are detachable, first. They’ve thought through a lot of the small details on that tank, so I would be surprised if they weren’t.
Yeah even if it's now I'm sure it would be fine since it looks like they are all the way around.

From looking at it the price is pretty good but I'm not sure if the pricing is USD or CAD since I'm Canadian. If it's CAD then that's gonna hurt lol

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah even if it's now I'm sure it would be fine since it looks like they are all the way around.

From looking at it the price is pretty good but I'm not sure if the pricing is USD or CAD since I'm Canadian. If it's CAD then that's gonna hurt lol
Sorry I mean.if it's USD

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They’re adjustable caster feet to help level the aquarium if the flooring is uneven. I’m pretty sure that would be make them removable, too.

Ah, yeah, the price is in USD. They’re Australian, and only just entered the US market. I’m not even sure if they have a Canadian distributor. Bummer.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They’re adjustable caster feet to help level the aquarium if the flooring is uneven. I’m pretty sure that would be make them removable, too.

Ah, yeah, the price is in USD. They’re Australian, and only just entered the US market. I’m not even sure if they have a Canadian distributor. Bummer.
Algea barn is a retailer so if they ship to Canada then you are all good ;)

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Haha they do! It's through algae barn I just don't know if algae barns prices are Canadian hahaha

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not that I know of unless you go custom....there are a lot of custom makers as well that will set you up like the mass produced guys.

Class cages I read here is really good :)

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth and blue tang together in 90g for 10+ years for me. Just upgraded to 150g 5’ tank and added a blonde naso!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back