20 gallon long stocking options

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm new to this forum and as well as the saltwater hobby, I have a 20 gallon long freshwater tank that houses some fish and I am looking for future stocking options, I am planning in converting the tank from freshwater to saltwater I am planning on getting the sand for saltwater, the equipment (protein skimmer, wavemaker, RODI water system, etc.), as well as some live rock. I am looking for tips to maintain my aquarium, tips to keep/ feed corals (soft and LPS) and as well as thinking of stocking for my tank. I dont know what corals to use but one coral I do know that I'm using are zoanthid, coral stocking will be appreciated, but I am more stuck on what fish to get here is my list of aquarium fish and will this be doable?

1 clownfish pair
1 purple firefish
1 yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp duo
1 cleaner shrimp
1 nassarius snail
2 scarlet reef hermit crab

Will this work? I want to do 20% water changes so I don't want to overstock, should I remove something? Any advice is appreciated!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! List looks good. I would just take stocking the fish slowly. As for the snails you'll wait to diversify. Take a look at reefcleaners.org, you'll want something like their 10 gallon package with hermits. You many need more later on but it's a good starting point. For coral it will depend on your lighting which you can grow.

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! List looks good. I would just take stocking the fish slowly. As for the snails you'll wait to diversify. Take a look at reefcleaners.org, you'll want something like their 10 gallon package with hermits. You many need more later on but it's a good starting point. For coral it will depend on your lighting which you can grow.
Which lighting do you recommend for a 20 gallon long?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which lighting do you recommend for a 20 gallon long?
What type of budget do you have and will you try SPS?

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of budget do you have and will you try SPS?
I already have the tank in freshwater, so I have the tank and a HOB filter, my budget for saltwater equipment is around 350 dollars, I won't try SPS yet I'm thinking soft first then hardy LPS corals

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any cheaper alternatives for lights, if not that's ok. I also checked the reefcleaner site and they recommended me some cleaners so I have a new set up, will it work or should I stick to the old one?
1 clownfish pair
1 yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp
1 purple firefish
1 cleaner shrimp
5 scarlet reef hermit crab
10 dwarf ceriths
3 nassarius snails
4 florida ceriths
4 nerites

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe a black box... i'd go with ai prime you can find some for cheaper on facebook marketplace and on here. very good light you wont be dissapointed
is the new list good ? or should I stick with old list

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking looks good and even a little on the light side of moderate. I would honestly cut the reef cleaners suggested package in half but no harm if you keep it that heavy.

OP
OP
N

N103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking looks good and even a little on the light side of moderate. I would honestly cut the reef cleaners suggested package in half but no harm if you keep it that heavy.
Thanks! I will be buying the stocking after I cycle and buy the equipment (RODI, saltwater test, clean supply, food, protein skimmer, and the lights)

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the new list good ? or should I stick with old list
I think the new one is good. Little on the heavy side as said before but maintenance will keep that down. I have a 20 g water box right now with a clownfish, only one snail, one hermit. I need to get more cuc and am looking into a small blenny. Unfortunately with my hermits, they are all dying because they don't have bigger shells to move into. I'd recommend putting some empty bigger shells into the tank for the hermit crabs to transfer into

yababo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of good light option, if AI Prime HD is too expensive there's the non HD which you may be able to get away with. You can also always buy used but do be aware of the led age

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back