20 Gallon tall DIY build

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started building a 20 gallon SPS tank in March. I wanted to have a false wall as well as enough room to have both SPS as well as some LPS. I decided on an L shape wall to give me the best of both without taking up a whole side of the tank. The first build was a EPIC FAIL as the false wall broke and there was a crazy sulfate problem killing everything. You will see in the photos I used a paint for the false wall. I did my research and used Krylon Fusion for plastics as it cures after 7 days and is aquatic safe I also learned to never use Silicone for something that would be under a lot of pressure. I then rebuilt the false wall using J-B Water weld and it has held up really well since I built it in June. I also built a custom stand and canopy to hold it off mu nightstand and to have it better fit the decor in the bedroom. It has been up and running since June 18th and it has been doing well other than a Hair algae outbreak. Hopefully got rid of it through a dark cycle and not having my lights on for 2 weeks. It currently has a phyto bloom and I'm going to do water changes for the next few days to hopefully curb it. Maybe put it in my 90? I will get current pics up as soon as it clears up. Here are pics through the entire process.

DSC00604.jpg

DSC00607.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

DSC00720.jpg

DSC00886.jpg

089.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01882.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

DSC01952.jpg

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change this morning. Thank is clearer but still a bit green. My hair algae is back even after my lights out for 2 weeks a month or so ago. I don't know what to do. I have my skimmer running 24/7 and I use R/O water.

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do you have for livestock in this tank? Hair algae is usually a sign of either too much bioload or too much feeding. It could also be a problem with lighting. if the bulbs are starting to get old the spectrum changes to one that really promotes algae growht.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tail damsel, a yellow damsel, a tomato clown and a strawberry pseudo. I am using stock bulbs that came with my odessea 4 bulb t-5 fixture and I only feed once every 2-3 days.

jedidad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old are the bulbs. also how often do you do water changes. in these small tanks it is very hard to keep up with nutrient export and i would recommend at least a 10% water change each week. 20% a week would be what I would do myself. I had a 29g biocube and as long as i kept up with my water changes it did great but as soon as i slacked off it would get out of control fast.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally just tore the thing down, rebuilt, then tore it down again. I can't seem to be able to keep up with the hair algae.

MoeManTheSnowMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you purchased new bulbs yet? I hear the bulbs that come with that fixture are garbage.I just bought the same light. But as soon as my tank cycles I'm buying new bulbs.I hope you are able to work it all out. You did a nice job on your build.

Last edited:

LukeG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Biopellets. I'm having a lot of success with them. I used to clean my skimmer cup every week or so. I have to clean it every other day now.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I unfortunately had to tear down the tank again. I hope to have it back up in the next 4 months. Just trying to give myself a refresher on the nitrogen cycle and recycling a tank. I am currently in the process of selling my 90 setup. I just can't afford the electricity on it while trying to go back to school bit I don't want to be without a tank either. I have set myself a budget of $400 with $100 every month to get everything I need and everything set up the way I want it. That way, I can work on letting it cycle while I continue to get bits and pieces that I really need. New bulbs etc. My plan I to get an RO filter first, then salt and substrate. I would like to get new rock to avoid leaching of the chemicals that were in the tank before but it just want in the budget yet.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some more research. Do you guys recommend running a skimmer during cycle? Or even perform water changes? I have heard conflicting information from "Experts" online but I question almost everything that isn't first hand experience. From me or someone I trust anyway.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have figured out why I have been having the hair algae outbreaks. I was looking at my stand and canopy to see if they needed any new hardware, etc. I noticed the L-brackets that are on the canopy are beginning to rust. Possibly dosing my tank in Iron without me realizing it? I'm wondering how to avoid this, It is apparent that I need to replace them but I'm not sure if anyone supplied Plactic L-Brackets so they don't rust. Does anyone here have any recommendations by way of rust preventative paint or something that I may be abl to use.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back