OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NPS need flow though which they can’t get inside a pot. Some need very specific laminar flow.

This is why you will often see specific nps species tanks or just easier ones in reef tanks.
Do sun coral get algae problems? I think the phyto fuge is gonna act like a skimmer

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I got I will prob get like a kit for calc alk mag and then a ph test
Make sure to wash the hyrdrometer good with RO or distilled.

What type of wave maker are you going to use?

For budget I really like these. They are controllable.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use another hob filter like an aquaclear filter, take out the filter media and replace it with chaeto/macro algae as a refugium rather than a seperate tank. all you'd need then is a cheap light mounted on it.
Oh. Could I use the hob I already have for that and run no mechanical media except floss?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do sun coral get algae problems? I think the phyto fuge is gonna act like a skimmer

Not any more then a normal LPS. Algae can grow on their skeleton but not directly on their flesh.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's differences of opinion but usually what I see is:

Alkalinity 7-9
Calcium 380 - 420
Magnesium above 1200 and generally 1300 - 1400

Here's some videos you might find informative:

Forest Rohwer "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas"

Changing Seas - Mysterious Microbes

Nitrogen cycling in hte coral holobiont

Richard Ross What's up with phosphate"

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use another hob filter like an aquaclear filter, take out the filter media and replace it with chaeto/macro algae as a refugium rather than a seperate tank. all you'd need then is a cheap light mounted on it.
That's a good idea, I have an extra one lying around may try that out.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to wash the hyrdrometer good with RO or distilled.

What type of wave maker are you going to use?

For budget I really like these. They are controllable.

Maxi I just want a little extra flow at the surface to blow rotifers and phyto and nutrients

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, what would The optimal height for my t5s be? I am getting 16-20 months worth for only 40$ which is totally worth it

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the tropic Marin supplements id need? It sounds natural which is good. I don’t want heavily artificial dosing so this will be nice

Attachments

• 0E9B120C-A41D-4CB0-BEB7-354632B6EF62.png
    0E9B120C-A41D-4CB0-BEB7-354632B6EF62.png
    643.1 KB · Views: 78

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the hob has room with a fully submerged section, then you could definitely do a refugium with some mechanical media in your hob.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Noah, I believe you will actually find that engagement will increase and you will get better and more direct answers by practicing some google-fu first.

Your history shows that you pepper your threads with questions jumping from one topic to the next very quickly and it seems not a lot gets resolved. Sometimes you circle back, often not.

If you start your questions at Google, most of the best links will bring you right to a R2R thread where it has already been discussed AND you can engage with the people who are already discussing it. If you don't find your answers, give the context, what you've found so far and ask for opinions.

I don't know many people that will stop what they are doing, to make you an Amazon list when you aren't willing to do it yourself, whereas, if you did some research, created the list that seems right to you and put it out with "hey, I'm looking to xyz, I've made a list on Amazon with products that my research showed would be needed and helpful. Anything you would add or subtract and why, Thanks" you'd have at least half a dozen people engage on that topic and a discussion could be had and you actually learn what you need.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any pics of the "china filter"

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this work for tests then a calcium test? Idk if I need a mag test b/c I don’t think I’m getting mangroves

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be cheaper, distilled water from the store then salt or premixed salt? Thinking about it, id Rather not mess with rodi and filters and all that stuff
Get distilled from the store. It'll be fine for what you are doing.

If you can get a bucket of aged aquarium water from a reefer you trust I'd add that also. As far as dosing you need to be testing alklinity, calcium and magnesium and be ready to dose whichever is low. They can move together but can also move intdependantly so all three should be monitored regularly along with pH (I would suggest weekly for the first year). Watch your nutrients, I'd be hesitant to be adding that much phyto initially, not having any corals yet to use tehm up you may get nuisance algae issues.
Not trying to be argumentative but getting water from another tank is a terrible idea. He'll be using liverock, no need to import problems from another tank. For softies and even simple LPS you can get way with nothing but a nitrate test and swing arm hydrometer. Been there done that. 10%-20% water changes will keep everything where it needs to be in a simple softy & hardy LPS tank. I had no problems keeping candycanes, softies, trachys, etc. back in college. Didn't even know there was a test for phosphates back then. Rocked out with good halides and biweekly waterchanges. Used go and ramped up fuge lights if algae was blooming and just eyeballs it. Many people got by that way. Not the ideal way and you won't grow sps like that but for things he is doing it'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back