2016 Apex review

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have taken the plunge into aquarium controllers and here is my review for the 2016 WiFi Apex. I am not the most tech savvy guy and it seemed like quite a daunting task to set up programs and made me second guess my purchase. This unit has been set up and running for about 2 weeks now. I am using WiFi connection and have not had any problems with the connection. I did have to call my Internet company and have them reconfigure my router and modem to allow the apex to access the internet, not really the apex fault. The best way for me to set this up is with pros and cons.

*Pros*
Set up - The set up was a breeze and couldn't have been easier. The step by step instructions on the APEX website worked to a tee. I set mine up on PC which allowed split screens and could follow the instructions withouto flipping between tabs. There was also an option where you could set up with Mac and android as well. As for hooking up probes and calibrating them it was extremely easy and straight forward. The whole set up process took me 30min.

WiFi - Where my tank is located would have required me to drill through a finished floor and ceiling to get a hard line from my modem to the Apex unit. This was also something that concerned me when buying the unit for fear the WiFi would cut out continuously. The signal is very strong and I haven't had one drop yet so fingers crossed that trend will continue.

Modules - If you have done any research into the apex system you know that modules can be purchased to control just about anything. Setting them up is as easy plugging them into the unit and locating them in your dashboard or on fusion. I purchased the Autofeeder, Breakout box, and Utility Pump with my unit. I plugged them in and they were ready to program.

Programing - I am not a tech guy and programming was a daunting task for me when it came to the APEX. I couldn't believe how user friendly apex fusion was when it came to programing a module or outlet. There are simple presets for ATO, skimmer, powerheads, lights, ect, that if your like me can be set without coming up with a basic program. Now things like like the float switch/breakout box require that you assign a program to that certain switch. There are hundreds of threads/forums and videos about setting up a program and that's how I found a simple program for my autofeeder.

Information - This is a huge plus with this system. There is a ton of information on everything APEX out there and can easily be found by a Google search. If you have a problem with a program or can't get a module working properly there is a 99% chance someone else has had that problem and solved it.

Monitoring - After I had a easily preventable tank crash while out of town, this was extremely important to me. I have found no issues when monitoring the tank through apex fusion and it has worked flawlessly for me. The ability to see the graphed data and see how much your pH fluctuates during certain times of the day makes it easy to see when you should add 2-part or what time is most effective when turning on refugium lights. This also gives you real time data (peace of mind) when not around your tank.

Apex Fusion - After reading some of the gripes with previous versions of Fusion across the Internet, I can say it has worked flawlessly without any hiccups. When accessing it on your touchscreen devices there is a "slide protector" which has to be slid off before turning the outlet on or off, preventing a pump from flooding your basement because you sat on your phone with the browser open.

Adaptability/expandability - As marine and reef aquarists our tanks and reef addictions grow, change and expand. This unit will grow, change and expand with your needs. I am considering getting a bigger tank in the future and also setting up a nano frag tank and I know that I can monitor those tanks with the purchase of another module or two.

Looks - The unit looks sharp and modern. I really like the styling and color combo of the unit. It wouldn't be an eyesore if displayed next too or under a tank.

*CONS*
Float Switch - This is something that isn't big deal and is easily solved but for a company that has as many modules, pumps and accessories, a plug and play float switch setup should be in production.

Wires - This is another small and manageable con. There are a lot of cables, some are very lengthy, which is good for someone that needs that but can be a pain for someone who doesn't. There are many theads on wire management that can help clean up the rats nest, some of them are absolute works of art.

Probe holder - I just felt that this unit should come with a probe holder, even a cheap chincy plastic one with suction cups, just something to hold the for probes the unit comes with. They sell one which I ended up purchasing and it works great but it was an extra $40 on top of what the unit cost.

*Conclusion*
This was a huge purchase for me and one that I was praying I wouldn't regret. After 2 weeks I can say that I am very satisfied with what I bought. I would recommend this to anyone at any skill level of reefing. If you noticed I didn't mention price being a con and I don't consider it to be one. I know that there are cheaper units and that some of the price is just for the apex name and fancy coloring but for me this was my perfect controller. The ability to plug in, set it up in under 30min and have it spitting out data was worth it. I have even written a simple ATO program (baby steps) in the last couple of days that has me wanting to start having even more in depth control and failsafes. I also have wanted to set up an automatic water change program and that is easily done with this system. There are many other good options out there but the 2016 WiFi APEX was my perfect controller and best fit my current/future needs and budget. I would recommend it to anyone considering it.

I will give it a month or two and update this review if anything changes good or bad.

rizorido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have taken the plunge into aquarium controllers and here is my review for the 2016 WiFi Apex. I am not the most tech savvy guy and it seemed like quite a daunting task to set up programs and made me second guess my purchase. This unit has been set up and running for about 2 weeks now. I am using WiFi connection and have not had any problems with the connection. I did have to call my Internet company and have them reconfigure my router and modem to allow the apex to access the internet, not really the apex fault. The best way for me to set this up is with pros and cons.

*Pros*
Set up - The set up was a breeze and couldn't have been easier. The step by step instructions on the APEX website worked to a tee. I set mine up on PC which allowed split screens and could follow the instructions withouto flipping between tabs. There was also an option where you could set up with Mac and android as well. As for hooking up probes and calibrating them it was extremely easy and straight forward. The whole set up process took me 30min.

WiFi - Where my tank is located would have required me to drill through a finished floor and ceiling to get a hard line from my modem to the Apex unit. This was also something that concerned me when buying the unit for fear the WiFi would cut out continuously. The signal is very strong and I haven't had one drop yet so fingers crossed that trend will continue.

Modules - If you have done any research into the apex system you know that modules can be purchased to control just about anything. Setting them up is as easy plugging them into the unit and locating them in your dashboard or on fusion. I purchased the Autofeeder, Breakout box, and Utility Pump with my unit. I plugged them in and they were ready to program.

Programing - I am not a tech guy and programming was a daunting task for me when it came to the APEX. I couldn't believe how user friendly apex fusion was when it came to programing a module or outlet. There are simple presets for ATO, skimmer, powerheads, lights, ect, that if your like me can be set without coming up with a basic program. Now things like like the float switch/breakout box require that you assign a program to that certain switch. There are hundreds of threads/forums and videos about setting up a program and that's how I found a simple program for my autofeeder.

Information - This is a huge plus with this system. There is a ton of information on everything APEX out there and can easily be found by a Google search. If you have a problem with a program or can't get a module working properly there is a 99% chance someone else has had that problem and solved it.

Monitoring - After I had a easily preventable tank crash while out of town, this was extremely important to me. I have found no issues when monitoring the tank through apex fusion and it has worked flawlessly for me. The ability to see the graphed data and see how much your pH fluctuates during certain times of the day makes it easy to see when you should add 2-part or what time is most effective when turning on refugium lights. This also gives you real time data (peace of mind) when not around your tank.

Apex Fusion - After reading some of the gripes with previous versions of Fusion across the Internet, I can say it has worked flawlessly without any hiccups. When accessing it on your touchscreen devices there is a "slide protector" which has to be slid off before turning the outlet on or off, preventing a pump from flooding your basement because you sat on your phone with the browser open.

Adaptability/expandability - As marine and reef aquarists our tanks and reef addictions grow, change and expand. This unit will grow, change and expand with your needs. I am considering getting a bigger tank in the future and also setting up a nano frag tank and I know that I can monitor those tanks with the purchase of another module or two.

Looks - The unit looks sharp and modern. I really like the styling and color combo of the unit. It wouldn't be an eyesore if displayed next too or under a tank.

*CONS*
Float Switch - This is something that isn't big deal and is easily solved but for a company that has as many modules, pumps and accessories, a plug and play float switch setup should be in production.

Wires - This is another small and manageable con. There are a lot of cables, some are very lengthy, which is good for someone that needs that but can be a pain for someone who doesn't. There are many theads on wire management that can help clean up the rats nest, some of them are absolute works of art.

Probe holder - I just felt that this unit should come with a probe holder, even a cheap chincy plastic one with suction cups, just something to hold the for probes the unit comes with. They sell one which I ended up purchasing and it works great but it was an extra $40 on top of what the unit cost.

*Conclusion*
This was a huge purchase for me and one that I was praying I wouldn't regret. After 2 weeks I can say that I am very satisfied with what I bought. I would recommend this to anyone at any skill level of reefing. If you noticed I didn't mention price being a con and I don't consider it to be one. I know that there are cheaper units and that some of the price is just for the apex name and fancy coloring but for me this was my perfect controller. The ability to plug in, set it up in under 30min and have it spitting out data was worth it. I have even written a simple ATO program (baby steps) in the last couple of days that has me wanting to start having even more in depth control and failsafes. I also have wanted to set up an automatic water change program and that is easily done with this system. There are many other good options out there but the 2016 WiFi APEX was my perfect controller and best fit my current/future needs and budget. I would recommend it to anyone considering it.

I will give it a month or two and update this review if anything changes good or bad.

I was as happy with it as you till my first incident where I lost all my SPS due to the rockets staying on for no reason when fusion connection dropped !
I'm giving it another try and hope this will never happen again !

OP
OP
Murr7

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was as happy with it as you till my first incident where I lost all my SPS due to the rockets staying on for no reason when fusion connection dropped !
I'm giving it another try and hope this will never happen again !

I have gone through and set the fallback mode too off on anything that I wouldn't want running all the time. As a test I just unhooked the modem and waited to see what happens.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back