What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HW Marine Reefer mix, I am not lying as it is 2022 and I am still using it. I do plan on switching to a mix that is on your list, BUT, I did not make the decision to change because of the salt, just availability. So I say other to support HW Marine.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of mention about TM Pro and some issues.. I've been using the salt for 3 years or so and haven't noticed many problems other than it being harder to get of late.

What are the issues with TM Pro?
People are reporting reddish-brown sludge in their mixing bins, but I have not had any of those issues. I love TM Pro Reef, it just mixes too low Alk for me at this point otherwise I'd stay using it. Plus, I like that ESV is mixed in like 2 hours because it's 4-part mixing where 2 of those things are liquids, so emergency water changes can be faster.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO. Cheap, consistent and cheap lol. I have a ton of water to take care of, so this allows me to not spend a fortune on salt. I change out almost 350 gallons a month. Do not want to even imagine what that would cost with anything else lol.
Wow. Do you have a build thread? 350 gallons a month? Is that a 10% wc?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Do you have a build thread? 350 gallons a month? Is that a 10% wc?
I do and it is kind of a scattered one. It should be linked to my build thread badge. For the fish barn, I do about 8 gallons a day. For my dualing (now single) 180 setup, I do about 4 per day. That will change to 2 this weekend, so the total water changed will go down.

30x4=120
30x7.5=225
120+225=345 give or take.

And I still have to dose alk and calcium lol. Even with about 50% water change a month on the tanks.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do and it is kind of a scattered one. It should be linked to my build thread badge. For the fish barn, I do about 8 gallons a day. For my dualing (now single) 180 setup, I do about 4 per day. That will change to 2 this weekend, so the total water changed will go down.

30x4=120
30x7.5=225
120+225=345 give or take.

And I still have to dose alk and calcium lol. Even with about 50% water change a month on the tanks.
Ah I was just reading this one today! Nice!

Jw258

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off using Aquaforest Reef and had good results but friends suggest I switch to TMPR so I did. It makes sense to use TMPR because I use All For Reef but I am tempted to return to AF Reef every time I run out if TMPR as I've never been able to get the yellow/green tips back on my Bubblegum Monti since going to TMPR.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important part of this thread that 50% of people missed. ;Pompus ;Hilarious

91C8FE02-9685-405F-81EA-824E868ABCFA.jpeg

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea, widely available and mid point price.
Mine mixes clean, every single time (not heated) through 24 buckets.
But in the end, salt is salt, more of this, less of that, bio additives, elevated, NSW.
Some of the most amazing tanks I have ever seen use the most inexpensive salts.
It’s the reefer that makes this possible, not the salt.
do you follow Red Sea's advice to mix no more than 2 hour max, or do you follow BRS with the 24 hours to mix it?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
do you follow Red Sea's advice to mix no more than 2 hour max, or do you follow BRS with the 24 hours to mix it?
I use Red Sea blue bucket. It is fine to mix and store for as long as you want. Red Sea pro salt should not be mixed/stored for more than 2 hours. BRS investigates came to the same conclusion.

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea blue bucket. It is fine to mix and store for as long as you want. Red Sea pro salt should not be mixed/stored for more than 2 hours. BRS investigates came to the same conclusion.
The BRS investigates video that I'm referring two is this one:

They say the mix doesn't mix clear not until 24 hours. What BRS video are you referring to?

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The BRS investigates video that I'm referring two is this one:

They say the mix doesn't mix clear not until 24 hours. What BRS video are you referring to?

I was talking about it from a alk drop stand point. There are at least 2 videos that talk about it (with heat and circulation, without heat and circulation). Here is one

I typically end up mixing overnight so that the temp comes up to my tank temp before water change.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The most important part of this thread that 50% of people missed. ;Pompus ;Hilarious

91C8FE02-9685-405F-81EA-824E868ABCFA.jpeg

I picked up on that, first thing I looked for.... What would Randy do ?
As far as I recall, randy does not keep a personal reef tank. The goals of a public aquarium is way different from a hobbyist. @Randy Holmes-Farley please correct me if I am mistaken.

Edit: No salt performed considerably better than any other salt (of the same category) in the brstv investigates series.

Last edited:

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had considered switching to TM Pro but holy cow is that expensive - like 67 cents per gallon vs the 27-47 other salts are. As my next tank is going to be north of 300+ gallons, I have no desire to spend that much on salt.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switch back and forth between Fritz blue box and Brightwell Neomarine. Both are a synthetic salt, so no brown crud in my mixing container like red sea blue bucket used to leave. They both also run dKh around 8.5.

I will say that I have to use quite a bit less salt from brightwell to get it up to 1.026. Like 17 cups for 40 gallons instead of 20-21 for fritz and red sea.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use reef crystals. they dont have any problems for me because i maintain my trace elements with dosing as opposed to water changes. i am curious though, why dosent anyone put saltwater through a crazy fine filter mesh then just take the water & evaporate it, would have exact ocean peramaters
Red Sea gets their salt this way. They pump it from the ocean into evaporation vats.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back