20g long qt and water changes

sscg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 20g tanks that I'm cycling right now I plan to qt 4 small fish in each tank with copper powder, I want to know if should I do daily water changes and how much, is 20% enough for that bioload or should I do 50% ?

In the first tank i will put a pair of small clownfish, 1 royal gramma, 1 sapphire damsel and in the other one 2 clown gobies, 1 firefish, and 1 jawfish.

Meat locker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would research qt set ups and figure out what's best for you.

If these are qt tanks, typically, they are bare bones. My qt(10 gallons) had a heater, hob filter with sponges and ceramic media, ammonia alert badge, and an air stone.

I didnt cycle this tank and added bottled bacteria. I had 2 clowns, royal gamma, and a yellow watchman. I did water changes in between medications. I continually added small amounts of bacteria to help combat ammonia. The ammonia never reached toxic levels. I would change the water as needed depending on what its testing. If your adding copper to therapeutic levels, dont forget to add copper to the new sw to maintain the same level you are shooting for.

I would only change water as needed. could be daily... or every few days or more!

Plus if there isnt a surface for the bacteria to colonize a bare tank wont handle a big bio load

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a 20g long for fish qt. ive done 3-4 fish at one time and fed pretty heavy, ive never had an ammonia problem unless my 2 ammonia alert badges are faulty. i use a cheap hob filter and use seeded filter floss from my DT tank. i also have a cheapo like powerhead/filter thing that is submerged and also has seeded filter floss in. fish are only in that tank for like 17-18 days during copper then get transferred to another tank thats sterile. i also use like 5-10ml of bio spira every 3-4 days

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia Control in a Hospital Tank
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ntrol-in-a-Hospital-Tank.296119/&share_type=t

Bottled bacteria is a good option to help control ammonia and usually reduces how many water-changes you’ll need to perform. When I QT with 10-20g tanks I usually do a 5g water change every 3-4 days. Using an alert badge, and keep a close eye on your “patients” for signs of ammonia (heavy breathing, frayed fins, and white/cloudy “burns” on fins and tails). Don’t blindly trust the badge though, I’ve had a few not work properly...

Also- just as a reminder, if you are using copper do NOT use prime or other ammonia reducers as it will kill all of your fish :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as noted above, when changing water make sure to dose the new saltwater before it goes into the tank.

If you put the water in and then dose the tank to “catch up” the copper level, you’ve just given parasites (if present) a small window of opportunity to attach to your fish and restart their lifecycle.

OP
OP
sscg

sscg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience quarantining with chloroquine phosphate but i'm going to use copper powder this time and i'm kind of nervous because I can't use prime and the tank is not cycled but I will buy a few bottles of biospira. So just to be safe I'll make daily water changes because I don't really trust seachem badges after a bad experience.

Thanks for the info guys!

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had an ammonia issue after dosing Biospira to kick start a qt.

As for water changes, I'd say 20-25% a week should be sufficient. I generally use two ammonia badges per tank just in case one is defective but that's your call.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back