20H saltwater concept...thoughts?

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I found a site with recommendations on how to set up a nano reef...I can post a link to it later if you guys would like to read (grill? :p ) its suggestions, but first I wanted your thoughts on my tank concept based on it. Here we go...(I'll only mention details that are not givens)
SETUP; A 20H with a background covering the sides and back (to keep stray light - abundant in my room, which has a south facing window and a bunch of lamps sustaining houseplants - out of the tank). The tank will be kept completely dark for the first month or two of cycling; a single fish will then be added and the front will cease to be blacked out, but the lights will still not be turned on for another month at least (depending on when any photosynthetic life is added...could be later), at which point a clean up crew will also be added (the aforementioned site recommended the following for a tank this size; 4 Trochus snails, 4 Cerith snails, 2 Nassarius snails, 4 Bumblebee snails, 1 Peppermint shrimp or cleaner shrimp, and perhaps a fighting conch).
LIGHTS; Likely two 5000K BR30 bulbs (with 120 degree beam angles...I use the 2700k version of these to grow some of the aforementioned houseplants), with 2200 lumens each. Probably better for macroalgae growth than coral growth...I have not, however, ruled out a strict FOWLR setup with no photosynthetic life, in which case the lighting will be far weaker. If macroalgae are used the tank may receive some light fertilization as well. Photoperiod would likely be about 8 hours a day.
FISH; No clue on this front. Might just have a colony of invertebrates, as I am nervous about dealing with territorial issues between the fishes (especially since I would love to attempt to spawn the fish/inverts). If I do keep fish, I just want a mated pair of one species to keep the bioload down. I don't want to deal with any species that demand live foods (mandarins, pipefishes, etc)
SESSILE LIFE; Soft macroalgae and soft corals chiefly, to reduce the number of variables (calcium!) I need to track in this tank. May not keep any.
CIRCULATION; One 160 GPH filter near the top of the tank with the output roughly 6 inches away from the front glass, and two 80 GPH filters/pumps on the bottom corners of the opposite side. The 160 GPH filter will be filled with purigen.
WATER; Shooting for 35-36 ppt salinity, 3 gallon WC's a week. If I try to spawn any of the occupants, the waste water will be sterilized with a small amount of bleach, dechlorinated, and then used for algae and perhaps copepod cultures. Should I do WC's during cycling?

I'd be thrilled if you guys could help me make this idea less vague...I'm struggling to determine precisely what to do with this tank. Thanks :)

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you tied to the 20h? The dimensions of the 20l are probably more suited to the swimming habits of more sw fish.
True...but I already have the 20H in question, and getting a 20 long would also require me snagging a 50-60+ dollar stand to support it. Is there any way I could use a wire shelving rack for the stand if I could find a way to distribute the tank's weight evenly on it?

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had a 20H many years ago. It had a 4 bulb t5 light and some rock and sand. For a while it had a tiny skimmer on it but it was an inefficient cheap one and I ended up ditching it with no issue. I just had a couple clowns and a goby in there along with some shrooms and leathers and stuff. It was super cheap to put together and operate; worked just fine. Get a decent powerhead for good flow and just get on a regular schedule of small water changes. No reason to complicate things.

OP
OP
LordJoshaeus

LordJoshaeus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...the ball is now rolling on doing something with this tank :p I just purchased a 50 GPD RO buddie from amazon to see if I can tolerate the process of producing sufficient RODI water for a tank this size (the idea behind the 50 GPD rather than 100 GPD is that the 50 is slow enough that I can go do other things while it is doing its job). Plus they appear to have started coming with faucet adaptors...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back