225g CDA SPS dream build

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We got the LED strip lights in yesterday and man does that make it nice under there for like $20. It’s controllable by Alexa and has a cool mode that flashes the lights in different colors according to music it must be able to pick up on a microphone! Crazy!

I’m struggling a bit to determine how to plumb and brace it. Bracing in a stand with minimal drillable areas is difficult. More on that after the plumbing plan. I think I’ll reduce from 1-1/4” off the COR20 union after a short vinyl hose connection. Some people say silicone but I worry that won’t have the longevity that vinyl will. Thoughts?

Then after the hose section I’ll reduce to 1” and stay 1” through the four port manifold I will make which will be 1” because I so happen to have four 1” Cepex ball valves and then I will reduce to 3/4” for the final run. The other return will just reduce to 3/4” its hose section.

What I’m actually struggling with is how to secure the manifold and overflow lines to anything. The deck is recessed above the steel tubing so I can’t flush mount the pipe into it with normal brackets. I’d have to drop them down with a cheater piece of 2x4 or something perhaps a bit ugly. The stand is painted steel and the manufacturer said he doesn’t suggest drilling it. Thoughts on that? Pics to show what I’m working with.
Green is the beananimal overflows and the purple is the two returns with one having a manifold.

575D1073-FB65-47A5-B063-8DDD16222870.jpeg
image.jpg

the thin white is the deck that would be drillable on the back here as well as wood wrapping that center brace.
image.jpg
What strip lights did you get? I might want to do something similar (especially if Alexa enabled)

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't watched the video, but could coated magnets be of help in some way?
That’s a good idea possibly. In the video they use hanging split pipe clamps on threaded rod attached to brackets
What strip lights did you get? I might want to do something similar (especially if Alexa enabled)
i believe it’s these: https://www.feit.com/product/16-ft-smart-color-changing-led-strip-light/

$35 at Costco. Think they were on sale like $25 a few months ago when I bought them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I swapped out a actinic Reef Brite for a daylight one and started opening up the XR15 Gen 5s. Decided I’d keep the $500 and stick with a light that’s proven at this point over a new generation. Also the extra spread would probably mean lots of loss at my mounting height. With the mix of colors with those three lights (actinic and daylight reef brites and XR15 gen 5 blues set to AB+ I love the spectrum I’m seeing and hope the tank will too.

I made a plumbing plan today and a parts list and started adding it to my cart with schedule 80 fittings and it was going to over $600!!!!! Decided it’ll be schedule 40 plus some blue spray paint for me! Yeesh! A Spears gate valve in 1.5” like I need for the overflow is $102! Insane!

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last inhabitant has been added to QT for this cycle, a yellow tang from a tank shutdown. He’s finding his place in the hierarchy of the zebrasoma trio but not too much battle as I placed it in during the last minutes of twilight last night and dropped him straight into 2.5 ppm copper which I had just elevated to in the morning for the others. Ammonia is being a bit of a problem even with two cycled sponges in the system and Microbacter 7 but I’m keeping the badge no higher than mildly green thus far through water changes. I hit up Lowes last night as well and have begun to make a bracket system for bracing the pipes to the steel tubes
BFC9D566-D796-488E-80DF-06D1810D1F5D.jpeg
E4417862-5B4A-4B0C-A2B5-1CE6DDEEB5AA.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The last inhabitant has been added to QT for this cycle, a yellow tang from a tank shutdown. He’s finding his place in the hierarchy of the zebrasoma trio but not too much battle as I placed it in during the last minutes of twilight last night and dropped him straight into 2.5 ppm copper which I had just elevated to in the morning for the others. Ammonia is being a bit of a problem even with two cycled sponges in the system and Microbacter 7 but I’m keeping the badge no higher than mildly green thus far through water changes. I hit up Lowes last night as well and have begun to make a bracket system for bracing the pipes to the steel tubes
BFC9D566-D796-488E-80DF-06D1810D1F5D.jpeg
E4417862-5B4A-4B0C-A2B5-1CE6DDEEB5AA.jpeg
Beautiful trio!!

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely things are happening again! Got a lot of the plumbing parts in white schedule 40 PVC as the BRS price on schedule 80 for my plan was $650!!!!! And I already had all but one Spears valve! The gate valve for the overflow alone will be >$100. Prices on petroleum based things are crazy right now. Going to use the white fittings and paint them blue with Krylon Fusion spray paint. I have blue pipes fell BRS but am planning with some old white pipe I had in the garage right now.
18E7E781-2621-47C9-9E62-74DFDA38C806.jpeg

Test painted white fitting:
image.jpg

Bulkheads are all installed with cleaned gaskets and used some Rectorseal 5 soft set thread sealant on all the threads of the bulkheads right where the nuts will sit to help seal up against any leaks. I also filed the form lines on the bulkhead flanges where they’d push into the gasket to try and make a nearly perfectly flat flange.
image.jpg

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been plumbing time on and off for the last week and I am beginning to have something to show. The white pipe is allowing me to move forward and plan cuts and placement while I wait for more blue pipe later this week. The white fittings will be used though. I may not spray them now as I actually like the red white and blue theme it creates. Bar codes, shmar codes.
B35B87A0-05E3-4F60-A5FD-4173D2A5ABEB.jpeg
DB20E05B-223E-4CCE-AF7C-E3247F5E3FF0.jpeg

I’m pretty amazed how strong the 3M VHB 30 lb double sided sticky tape can hold those galvanized ceiling flanges for the split ring hanging galvanized pipe clamps you see on my far left overflow pipe and I may skip the epoxy and just use that permanently. I could always add it back later if this fails to hold..

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got through the main trunk of the manifold by the end of the night, got the silicone tubing cut to size and got the wood blocks painted and epoxied to the underside of the stand deck which allowed me to hang the manifold from some pipe clamps.
4D882476-30E4-414B-A20E-101E25F1A85F.jpeg

My quarantine efforts have not been going well. I’ve lost four of five banggai cardinals to starvation. By the time I realized they just weren’t eating enough they were dropping like flies. Two finished prophylaxis yesterday and when I thought they had been eating and were good to move I put them in the main holding tank and they quickly looked weak against the slight current so I moved them back and one quickly died which had been the stronger of the two. A week ago I lost the desjardini. He had been breathing hard, perhaps from the copper and the slight ammonia. The other two tangs are healthy as can be that were with him… he always seemed weak and I probably shouldn’t have bought him but it was worth an attempt to save it at the price. I’ll have to try again on the sailfin and perhaps will switch to anthias instead of banggais for my next batch.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly but surely things are happening again! Got a lot of the plumbing parts in white schedule 40 PVC as the BRS price on schedule 80 for my plan was $650!!!!! And I already had all but one Spears valve! The gate valve for the overflow alone will be >$100. Prices on petroleum based things are crazy right now. Going to use the white fittings and paint them blue with Krylon Fusion spray paint. I have blue pipes fell BRS but am planning with some old white pipe I had in the garage right now.
18E7E781-2621-47C9-9E62-74DFDA38C806.jpeg

Test painted white fitting:
image.jpg

Bulkheads are all installed with cleaned gaskets and used some Rectorseal 5 soft set thread sealant on all the threads of the bulkheads right where the nuts will sit to help seal up against any leaks. I also filed the form lines on the bulkhead flanges where they’d push into the gasket to try and make a nearly perfectly flat flange.
image.jpg

Out of all this awesomeness,the only thing thay concerns me is that freakin' spider in the picture........

EDIT: I am a mechanical hand/plumber/pipe fitter/welder by trade and those plumbing skills make me envious,wow !!!

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Braces are in for the overflows. Returns are almost ready but I need a different size split ring clamp since I up sized to 1” from 3/4” for the whole run. I hope to slide it into place this evening and test fill it.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C1433B21-A747-4491-AC88-FD918F8B707A.jpeg
EB6CD988-CC0E-4359-A997-FBDCDFFA85E4.jpeg
It’s wet! I have it full of tap to test and no leaks! I played around for hours trying to figure out how to get a decent siphon break with a hole drilled in the bottom of the locline and not flood my sump. I had to drop the water level to around 7.5” which is good for my skimmer anyways. Tricky figuring out how to work a three hole overflow but I think I got a good level found.

OP
OP
AaronFReef

AaronFReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I put the rock in last night I weighed it all it was around 75 lbs. Not a ton for this much water. I plan to put a bunch of rock from my other tanks sump in here into the sump and when I shut that tank down and cut all the acros off I may put the rocks into the system as well at least for a while. Hopefully that will speed up the stabilizing.

Right now the tank is full of my well’s tap water and has been running that way for a few days. I have half a mind to just run some cuprisorb to remove any bad chemicals and then mix in salt and we will be off to the races but am not sure yet. The nutrients in our tap are decently low but the TDS is decently high. Lots of silica which would be a real bear to remove this quantity of. But I’ll take diatoms and hair algae over Dino’s any day so we will see…..

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 26.9%
Back