250000 litre pool conversion to reef tank!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Spotted Box fish.

Kingdom:
Animalia
Phylum:
Chordata
Class:
Actinopterygii
Order:
Tetraodontiformes
Family:
Ostraciidae
Genus:
Ostracion
Species:
O. cubicus
Binomial name
Ostracion cubicus

Linnaeus, 1758

This is one of my favorite fish in Tank:) My Girlfriend saw it at not so local fish store and had to have it:)!
Thinking this is great:)! Getting her more involved in the hobby is a good thing:) Less flack when new additions appear in tank:)
So we brought him home....one of the few times i did not research the becheebers out of a tank addition before buying:(
Sooooooo i get online after acclimatizing, putting in 33 gallon quarantine and discover this is the second most venomous creature in the world short of the dart frog!!!!! Well....the research continued long into the night hours. Turns out there are mixed emotions on these guys...some say "tank nuker" some say no problem. My experience has bin nothing but positive:)
The good:
-He has the most personality of any fish i have ever owned:)!
-He recognizes me or the wife and follows you back and forth.
-He is a lot like a puppy dog.
-He will spray water at you when walking by tank to get your attention:)
The bad:
-None yet...but people say he could nuke the tank:(
I think they are a lot like the Dart frog...when taken out of their natural habitat and deprived of the foods that make them venomous they become non venomous:)!
So after 10s of hours of research and 6 weeks in quarantine i reluctantly decided to add him to main display.
Issues that crossed my mind:
-tank nuke of course
-his size...Bam Bam was only an inch long and i had 8-10 inch tangs in main display!
- and his motility ...would the above average flow in my tank send him into a spin and suck him into a gyre?
I was pleasantly surprised:)! Not 30 seconds after Bam Bam dove into the main display my 10 inch Hippo tang decided to display his tank dominance on the poor little fella! Big mistake! Bam Bam...hense the name proceeded to peck the crap out of Big Blue! With a vengeance i had never thought possible! End of problem. He also has no problems in the flow and is a very aggressive eater. I would highly recommend these little fellas:)!

IMG_0297 (1).jpeg

IMG_0299.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0303.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

Stunning addition!! I want one now lol!!

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how big is Bam Bam going to get? With his color you sure wouldn’t miss him in the display.
HaHa:)))!!! There lies the rub! He has doubled his size in last 4 months and can grow to 18 inches!!! Good excuse to finally convert that swimming pool into a reef tank:)! I think he will be OK in main for several years:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 18” your anthias better learn to swim fast. clown fish really add some character to a set up.
They have a pretty small mouth:) Even at 18" i think he would have trouble with 4 inch anthais:) God bless if he makes it to 18"! Yes love the clowns..they provide a lot of live food for rest of tank:)

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning addition!! I want one now lol!!

First Fish i look for every morning.......Bam Bam:)!
Update! Bam Bam had big white patch covering 35% of his front and central body:(? Looked like raised white fungus on skin?? Sorry no pics:(((...I take pics of everything not sure how i missed this??? Came over night??? Would appreciate your thoughts...know its hard with no pics:( My thoughts....I think he got burnt by ...Bubble tip.... or other stinging coral or creature in tank? It went away as fast as it came:))) thank god..myself and wife would have bin devastated if it had bin terminal:((( Was about to remove and quarantine ...gave him one more night and bechingo...next morning gone:)))))!!! One thing i also noticed was small white patch on BIG BLUE nose? OK one might suspect ick....but over night no fungus on Bam Bam an white patch on BIG BLUE gone???

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kk...question....help please! I only need to clean my glass in main display once every 2 weeks? Quarantine tanks i could do daily...red and green algae. Frag tank same thing ...why does my main display not grow algae on glass?

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't complain..... I hate cleaning my glass ;)

Is the frag tank connected to the whole system? Could be why, algae grows there and not in the DT.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't complain..... I hate cleaning my glass ;)

Is the frag tank connected to the whole system? Could be why, algae grows there and not in the DT.
Yes ...all one system. Still makes no sense?? Same water..same light??

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the lights don't shine on the DT glass enough to allow it to grow as fast? #reefsquad anybody got any insight?

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns only lay eggs if i have BRS video running in background:)!
Also my relatively new Coral Beauty is doing fine and had to swim by to check out the menu for 12-14 days down the road:)! Blenny had to let him know He was crossing his turf!

Attachments

• IMG_0498.MOV
    12.9 MB
OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank videos.

Attachments

• IMG_0502 (1).MOV
    13.3 MB
  • IMG_0501.MOV
    9.5 MB
  • IMG_0500.MOV
    12.6 MB

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you could attach videos without going through videos. Tank looks awesome. How's the bta's next to the coral? Obviously they look fine, but have they stung anything?

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize you could attach videos without going through videos. Tank looks awesome. How's the bta's next to the coral? Obviously they look fine, but have they stung anything?
The way the videos attached is new to me too? Thanks it's a work in progress:). No stings yet..fingers crossed...They have divided several times so eventually they will get to a spot that will cause trouble.

OP
OP
Albertastorm

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KKKK....i have an automatic water change system that changes 6 gallons per day in a mixed reef system with a lot of calcium and alkalinity burning corals:)))! 700 gallons. I add 1.029----1.035 salt water.....my levels do not rise???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back