OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see my post warning you about palythoa? Do NOT climb into the tank and mess around if there is palythoa soft coral in there, they can release palytoxin and that can be a serious problem.

You said you aren't feeling well? Could you already have been exposed?

Jay
Did you see my post warning you about palythoa? Do NOT climb into the tank and mess around if there is palythoa soft coral in there, they can release palytoxin and that can be a serious problem.

Jay

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty that is one clean empty tank above. I’m not seeing a passing grade for timely correspondence here, but am seeing an A+ clean rinsed tank

why is there clouding in the refill part, thats opposite of clean

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is water going in on new sand, unrinsed, +=$&*#@nhgd+&$)$@*&

is that unrinsed new sand that you skipped rinsing out of concern for bacteria being washed away

water with milk in it? I can also safely assume the holding tank is still cloudy and without new water, this is going exactly like I like rip cleans to go

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone who is not subbed to this thread is missing out on the king capital novella read of reef 2 reef for all of 2022.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since fish disease was found to be the cause here vs the sand once we uncovered the untreated new tang post, those fish really need to wait until the end of March to go back in. I know they won’t, but that’s in response to post #1 page 1.

your main goal was to stop fish loss

this reef needs fallowed. The fish need to be held in appropriate watch systems so they can be treated according to any symptoms that manifest in the next month or so.

before adding new fish to a super old reef they would need to be quarantined since it’s not worth the risk to not qt

it’s important to know that skipping fallow causes the next potential round of loss, it has nothing to do with rip cleaning. Being untreated, symptomatic and held in tight close quarters with elevated free ammonia means the fish need assessments now more than ever

I truly care about stopping your fish loss is why that’s mentioned. I’m ascertaining you yourself are ok if able to lug all this water and heavy gear

still go get checked out tonite after reassembly we want all aquarists safe

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update getting ready for the final rinse
The sand is in

Jay
Ok the bag said no rinse
My whole family has been sick so I think I just have what they have
I’m still need another 75 gal, I should have that tomorrow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 51

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m out. This was the most offensive rip clean I’ve ever seen. I’ve never been so concerned for another aquarist only for them to do literally opposite of every stated prep and follow through effort, nobody should repeat any aspect of this. Nobody should skip going to the doctor when reporting aquarium potential sickness, your poor fish.
We both know you will be back !

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only in the sand rinse thread as a staunch, staunch warning of what never to do for the sake of human health and fish tank longevity.

you know how there’s a no fly list

Rusty is on the no dangerous herps list. If you ever think even for one second of owning a king cobra, you can’t because you’re on the list. Same for a tiger, a cone snail, or a rattler with fangs in tact, the list bans all those.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it’s horrible work, so bad Id recommend all new sand
Which is still pre rinsed but in half the time.

I estimate it will take six hours of rinsing in sections to get this much old sand cleared, then you glass test each sub section to make sure it’s clear- verification assessments are in each linked thread to ensure there isn’t an excuse for incomplete rinsing which can kill the whole reef, all at once, opposite of our collection of wins

why do I get the impression that literally only a ten second cursory reading of the threads has been done
It’s worth the time to study to catch all the small details this is a huge job, not like a nano rip clean
One might consider using a power drill with a paint mixer attachment to thoroughly stir the sand in the rinse water. Stirring too long will abrade the biofilm and possibly kill it. Just a thought.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @rusty dowell now resisent diesese expert seems like swaying more to fish diesese did you ever get any advice about fish i showed in post 52? As on that orange shoulder tang looks like got something on its back end.

Let me see if can quote it to get picture
@Jay Hemdal is r2r resident expert on fish diesese,I know vetteguy very knowledgeable also but he already been tagged.
I'm no expert but If was me I would be thinking if you didn't qt in first place on your fish and your fish have built up an immunity to certain parasites thats great but a huge stress event like this could weaken your fish and then parasites/ dieseses got the upper hand to strike so if is the case then could medicate your fish whilst they in qt.i will post Jay's current diesese protocol 2021 in a moment if you want a read while you waiting for water to get made but please wait till jay replys to give an expert opinion.

And even if your fish not shown any signs of diesese or parasites in last years,they could still be in your tank but in low numbers or whatever .

Anyway good luck you got a big job ahead of you.
Maybe ask family or friends to help you to speed things up ^_^

Edit: current diesese protocol

I also see on first page you say lost 2 tangs and a angel and clownfish,tangs have thin slime coats so I read alot people say this is why tangs are known as ich magnets as thinner slime coats so more susceptible to parasites ( not saying you got ich but saying still get advice from jay on his opinion but this tank and its inhabitants had a possible huge stress event)
Also on this screenshot of your orange shoulder tang I believe it is,what's on it where outlined ?

Screenshot_20220101-225653_Chrome.jpg
If not,you now 2 days behind but maybe good idea to ask Jay and show him pictures of this tang or any signs on any fish that not normal and say any behaviours like swimming Into powerhead,loss of appetite,spots,marks,loss of colour and the like to get an opinion and decide if or what medication will or won't use as like I said other day and jay said earlier a parasite could of been in your tank long time but low numbers or added in recently and huge stress event caused fish to get weaken and give upper hand.

Also the purple tang I think it is in your post 54 I noticed other day looked to have cloudy skin / excess mucus, is this just the cloudy tank or glass or the actual fish ?

As I say im no fish diesese expert but that's what my opinion was the other day and still advise best to ask Jay's advice on your fish now he saying what he said so you can have some kind of plan in hand

anyway wish you good luck ^_^

Screenshot_20220102-232421_Chrome.jpg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rusty is on the no dangerous herps list. If you ever think even for one second of owning a king cobra, you can’t because you’re on the list. Same for a tiger, a cone snail, or a rattler with fangs in tact, the list bans all those.
Thanks for the laugh, that was needed and appreciated !

(your previous post was quite funny too, lol !)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only in the sand rinse thread as a staunch, staunch warning of what never to do for the sake of human health and fish tank longevity.

you know how there’s a no fly list

And it takes someone as insulted such as yourself to nominate or tag someone with said herps flag ?

from
My many years of living .
the only advice I can offer ….
How we reach the destination is each owns decision .
whether someone chooses to take your path or make their own .
the end goal isn’t arriving at the same time !

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a play on words to elucidate that reef2reef doesn’t want anyone dying from palytoxin, because apparently it’s common to take the risk with such organisms

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a play on words to elucidate that reef2reef doesn’t want anyone dying from palytoxin, because apparently it’s common to take the risk with such organisms. We got a little flip flop here: I’m sick, it’s probably from the tank then to—> na nevermind its something the whole family already had.

that’s a flip flop between I might die to: psych, I’m secretly not considering anything anyone is writing here but my expectation is still for you to keep my twenty year reef alive.

It was horrible to put any family in harms way during the rip clean, which occurred. I was frustrated at attempting to help someone and then the result is they put an entire family in potential harm with a cloudy refill at the end, without reading one single prep mentioned from page one.

when you killed your fish with one handful of sand, I’m now thinking it could have been disease just the same.
Think of the whole
Picture .
If you can’t physically change anything of the situation .
Do you think I’m going to lose any sleep cause you’re up worried all night ?

nope ! Not a chance !
Opinions are like a holes !
everyone has one .
Let it go .

you offered the proper information to educate .
you offered the advice to save the fish .
whether Someone accepts the advice or information is their choice. .

let it go

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sideline summaries are always helpful in the overall live time jobs we work. appreciate the constant predictions you provide and references to prior safe jobs, preps in general, things to anticipate - watching out for and responding to personal symptoms etc

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sideline summaries are always helpful in the overall live time jobs we work. appreciate the constant prediction and reference to prior safe jobs, watching out for personal symptoms etc
If I stressed about everything that’s happened in life to everyone else. .
I would have had a heart attack and died by now .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back