29 gallon rebuild

BlkIcePicasso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Guys I'm new here and I enjoy this hobby very much. I do have a running 29 gallon tank HOB filter almost 11months running. I want improve the tank with a sump and better filtration... I wanted ask a few question about flow rate and the right bulkheads for intake and return line.So any suggestion and advice please let me know... thanks guys

Reefer_lou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest i would get a bigger tank. it isn't really worth it to drill and plumb a 29 gallon. you are better off getting a bigger tank like a 40 breeder or 65 gallon tank. way more room to work and have a bigger sump. when you put sump on a 29 gallon you don't really have a lot of room for a skimmer and stuff which you don't really need on a tank that small.

OP
OP
B

BlkIcePicasso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah your right about that... but only reason why I wanted rebuild because i dont have room and it'll be learning experience and hands on project . So for future tank i know what to do and prepared for. I dont have the room for a 40 gallon breed and my room.So that's why I wanted do this project but I guess I can always enjoy my tank as it is for now.

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a link to a sump on a 29
Phase II - Aquarium Adventures
Anytime you can add water volume and filtration to a small tank is a good thing. As for flow a 1" or 1-1/4" drain should be fine with a 3/4" return. I would try to get around 300 gph flow. You could always just drill for the drain and run your return over the top of the tank instead of drilling it. Something like a mag 5 return pump would work.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Can't wait to see the tank!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back