29g Stocking.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R!

I’m looking to stock my 29g tank, once it is cycled and once I have the RO system setup.

I was wondering what would work well?

I definitely want a clownfish pair, that’s on the top of my list. I hear they get aggressive when breeding, so could I maybe have a goby as well? Or a shrimp?

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the pair work out with shrimp or crabs?
The clowns shouldn't bother either. The goby should work as well. All nano community fish should work, it's just going to depend on your individual clowns and how you introduce them and the other fish

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here also, but from what I’ve read, a tail spot blenny would be a good fit for a tank that size with a pair of clowns. It would also help with algae control down the road.

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New reefer here also, but from what I’ve read, a tail spot blenny would be a good fit for a tank that size with a pair of clowns. It would also help with algae control down the road.
Tailspots have a great personality, can't say I've seen mine eat algae tho. He just swims around my rocks all day.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns shouldn't bother either. The goby should work as well. All nano community fish should work, it's just going to depend on your individual clowns and how you introduce them and the other fish
That’s good news! I was looking at a Watchman Goby, would that work?

Also, do you guys notice your Clowns messing with shrimp?

—-

Well depending on what types of clowns you had in mind.
Black/White ocellaris clownfish.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I’m thinking:
  • 2x Black/White clowns (possible regular)
  • 1x Watchman Goby
  • 2x Scarlet Skunk Shrimp
  • Some type of crabs (any suggestions??)
Does that look good?

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • 1x Watchman Goby
Does that look good?

If you're getting a watchman goby, you should get a pistol shrimp to pair with it (cool symbiotic relationship).

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • 1x Watchman Goby
Does that look good?

As far as crabs go, I've read that scarlet hermit crabs tend to be one of the safest to put in reef systems (that is, least likely to eat a fish).

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good news! I was looking at a Watchman Goby, would that work?

Also, do you guys notice your Clowns messing with shrimp?

—-

Black/White ocellaris clownfish.
The goby is a bottom dweller and the clowns swim freely. They won't mess with each other or shrimp. Think of it like this, get fish that fill each level of the aquarium. Bottom dwellers, rock dwellers, and free swimmers.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby is a bottom dweller and the clowns swim freely. They won't mess with each other or shrimp. Think of it like this, get fish that fill each level of the aquarium. Bottom dwellers, rock dwellers, and free swimmers.
So pretty much the same as freshwater - Tetras/other schooling fish taproom top/middle and Corydoras and Loaches for bottom dwellers. :)

As far as crabs go, I've read that scarlet hermit crabs tend to be one of the safest to put in reef systems (that is, least likely to eat a fish).
Oohh, ok! I like the look of those.

If you're getting a watchman goby, you should get a pistol shrimp to pair with it (cool symbiotic relationship).

Any specific type? Or is it just what I like the look of? It would be super cool if my future Goby paired with a pistol.

Would it still be ok to get the scarlet banded shrimp? Or would it be better to only get 1, because I’m also getting the pistol shrimp?

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like trochus and turbo snails. I like my tailspot blenny as a rock dweller to contrast the clowns free swimming. If you go that route you could probably add a bottom dweller like a watchman goby. Personally my favorite fish currently is my pink streak wrasse. He's a rock dweller and pretty cryptic. Anything you're looking at specifically other than the pair of clowns?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on good snails, or other fish/invertebrates?

#reefsquad
It’s very much personal preference really, I have a mixture of snails, crabs and all sorts

Some of them help with specific jobs, so just pick a few you like the look of

I like hermit crabs, turbo snails, etc

Just remember they need food, so don’t add them until the system can provide enough for them or they will starve. In my new big system I didn’t add CUC for around 2 months I think

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a good old fire shrimp and pick either snails or crabs because in my experience the hermits eat the snail for their shells

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like trochus and turbo snails. I like my tailspot blenny as a rock dweller to contrast the clowns free swimming. If you go that route you could probably add a bottom dweller like a watchman goby. Personally my favorite fish currently is my pink streak wrasse. He's a rock dweller and pretty cryptic. Anything you're looking at specifically other than the pair of clowns?
Well, yes, I still want a watchman goby. I would also want sort of a stand alone fish, preferably a colorful one!

It’s very much personal preference really, I have a mixture of snails, crabs and all sorts

Some of them help with specific jobs, so just pick a few you like the look of

I like hermit crabs, turbo snails, etc

Just remember they need food, so don’t add them until the system can provide enough for them or they will starve. In my new big system I didn’t add CUC for around 2 months I think
Ok! I think once my tank is well established, I’ll get some Turbo Snails. :)

I like a good old fire shrimp and pick either snails or crabs because in my experience the hermits eat the snail for their shells
I would actually like to keep 2x Scarlet Banded shrimp - would they work?

Back