3-Part or 4-Part Recommendations

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix your own and save 2/3 in cost. Aquaforest has the recipe on youtube;) or if you like I created a spreadsheet that does all the calculations with the Aquaforest ingredients.
Hmm, I'd be interested in that spreadsheet for when the time comes my pre-mixed jugs are empty. :)

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI...I use redsea and have to dose three times as much KH then calcium (not really sure what's up with that, I figure the calcium is just more concentrated). Also, if you are looking for trace elements you would have to implement redsea's coral colors program which makes your dosing 7 part. With that being said, I have had pretty good success with the program.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI...I use redsea and have to dose three times as much KH then calcium (not really sure what's up with that, I figure the calcium is just more concentrated). Also, if you are looking for trace elements you would have to implement redsea's coral colors program which makes your dosing 7 part. With that being said, I have had pretty good success with the program.
My biggest qualm with Red Sea is that their method seems to focus on high KH. While I have had success in the past with high KH, I am not going that route with this setup and would like to keep my nutrient levels pretty low.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'd be interested in that spreadsheet for when the time comes my pre-mixed jugs are empty. :)
pm your email, and I will send it

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size? Mostly SPS?
200 gallon lots of SPS
CACED9D8-33BC-4445-9978-D7705F5CD2CC.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is. That product is not designed as an equal parts dosing system. The calcium part is far more concentrated than the alk part.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. That product is not designed as an equal parts dosing system. The calcium part is far more concentrated than the alk part.

I use Red Sea right now and it is fine for hitting target numbers but you have to treat each component separately. I've used 2 parts in the past that were equal part and it's easier but you do end up with (alk,cal or mag) out of balance on occasion. I'm considering adding a two part with my DOS and using the Red Sea to supplement when I see something going low (primarily magnesium since I just have the two head dosers and can't dose all three automatically).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea right now and it is fine for hitting target numbers but you have to treat each component separately. I've used 2 parts in the past that were equal part and it's easier but you do end up with (alk,cal or mag) out of balance on occasion. I'm considering adding a two part with my DOS and using the Red Sea to supplement when I see something going low (primarily magnesium since I just have the two head dosers and can't dose all three automatically).

I really don't understand the rationale for intentionally making it unequal parts dosing. It just makes it more complicated and requires a lot more testing.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't understand the rationale for intentionally making it unequal parts dosing. It just makes it more complicated and requires a lot more testing.

Yeah I didn't realize it was not balanced when I got them. It is definitely a pain which is why I want to go to a balanced product. I thought about adding rodi water to the calcium to get it balanced but now I'm just go to use it for minor adjustments. It's a little too concentrated for my taste for dosing anyways. I would rather go with a less concentrated product and dose more this way a major overdose is less likely.

With red Sea it is so concentrated out of the bottle that you can easily overdose. I know I could cut the concentration but why fiddle with it when there are easier to use products out there

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn't realize it was not balanced when I got them. It is definitely a pain which is why I want to go to a balanced product. I thought about adding rodi water to the calcium to get it balanced but now I'm just go to use it for minor adjustments. It's a little too concentrated for my taste for dosing anyways. I would rather go with a less concentrated product and dose more this way a major overdose is less likely.

With red Sea it is so concentrated out of the bottle that you can easily overdose. I know I could cut the concentration but why fiddle with it when there are easier to use products out there
Good to know it's not just me...When I first started using this product I dosed equal amounts and tested KH frequently, When I got around to testing the Ca+ it was through the roof probably close to 600ppm. I wish Red Sea made the consumer aware of this because I am sure I'm not the only one who had this issue. As for the concentration...I feel the more concentrated the better, less trips to the LFS and less money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why either, really screwed me up when I first started, Calcium was probably close to 600ppm and dKH was 8.0. Wish Redsea would inform the consumer of the supplement being unbalanced.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up deciding on the Tropic Marin 3 part. Will see how that does vs AF in two other systems and Triton in my fourth tank.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairly certain this is incorrect. It doesn't contain trace elements like some of the newer products. Additionally magnesium is a 3rd jug

That is incorrect. B-Ionic includes everything. The magnesium is only needed if you use a salt mix that is low magnesium. B-Ionic will only maintain magnesium, it will not correct low magnesium.

It also contains all the minerals trace elements found in seawater in balanced with calcium and alkalinity so that you your salt water does not become unbalanced with time.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up deciding on the Tropic Marin 3 part. Will see how that does vs AF in two other systems and Triton in my fourth tank.

Do you have an update? I am currently running my current tank with kalkwasser with primarily LPS and gorgonias. I would like to move into SPS and I am on the fence between B-Ionic and Tropic Marin Balling. I have dismissed some of the newer hyped ones as more marketing than substance so far.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back