3-Part or 4-Part Recommendations

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys-

I am rebuilding my Red Sea Reefer 450 to be an SPS dominant ZeoVit system. I have used Triton Core7, Aquaforest 3-part and BRS 2-part in the past on other systems and the previous build of this system, in which I attempted the Triton Method. I am trying to determine what my best bet is for my new system.

I am leaning toward Triton Core7 Other, Aquaforest or Red Sea 3 parts, as I'd like additives that have the trace elements included. From what I can tell the Triton additives are actually going to be the most affordable, but I am having a hard time determining how much I would use of the Red Sea if I went that route. Triton looks like about $0.52 a day on 10ml, Aquaforest looks like about $2.00 per day on 200ml, really not sure what the math is on the Red Sea 3 part additives without dosing, testing and adjusting. No way for me to determine my consumption yet, as the system is totally empty. Using Tropic Marin Pro and aiming for DKH 7.5, CA 440 and MG 1400.

Thanks!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys-

I am rebuilding my Red Sea Reefer 450 to be an SPS dominant ZeoVit system. I have used Triton Core7, Aquaforest 3-part and BRS 2-part in the past on other systems and the previous build of this system, in which I attempted the Triton Method. I am trying to determine what my best bet is for my new system.

I am leaning toward Triton Core7 Other, Aquaforest or Red Sea 3 parts, as I'd like additives that have the trace elements included. From what I can tell the Triton additives are actually going to be the most affordable, but I am having a hard time determining how much I would use of the Red Sea if I went that route. Triton looks like about $0.52 a day on 10ml, Aquaforest looks like about $2.00 per day on 200ml, really not sure what the math is on the Red Sea 3 part additives without dosing, testing and adjusting. No way for me to determine my consumption yet, as the system is totally empty. Using Tropic Marin Pro and aiming for DKH 7.5, CA 440 and MG 1400.

Thanks!
I have had great results with Aquaforest 1+2+3+ and keeping is simple by just use the reef salt and the 1+2+3+

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to be hardcore SPS, then get a CaRx. Calcium, Alk, Mag, Potassium, Strontium and many more all in one package.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great results with Aquaforest 1+2+3+ and keeping is simple by just use the reef salt and the 1+2+3+
I used 1+2+3+ on two of my systems and I'm happy with the results. Tried their probiotic salt and it didn't work very well for me, hence the zeovit and TM-Pro combo. I use 60ml per day of each in my SPS dominant 30g nano. I have a feeling I'd be using close to 200ml per day in my 100g. That's how I arrived at $2.00 a day in 3 part.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are going to be hardcore SPS, then get a CaRx. Calcium, Alk, Mag, Potassium, Strontium and many more all in one package.
No room or money for more gear. I also feel like CaRx can have problems and cause crashes (totally anecdotal and nothing to back this up off hand). Additionally I already have 2 Neptune DOS pumps, so I've already invested in dosing.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1+2+3+ on two of my systems and I'm happy with the results. Tried their probiotic salt and it didn't work very well for me, hence the zeovit and TM-Pro combo. I use 60ml per day of each in my SPS dominant 30g nano. I have a feeling I'd be using close to 200ml per day in my 100g. That's how I arrived at $2.00 a day in 3 part.

When I first started using Aquaforest salt, I was thinking of using the Probiotic salt and was told to stay with the reef salt. I cannot quote my source;) Are you mixing your own 1+2+3+?

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started using Aquaforest salt, I was thinking of using the Probiotic salt and was told to stay with the reef salt. I cannot quote my source;) Are you mixing your own 1+2+3+?
Yeah, I was not a fan of the pro-biotic salt. I had switched from Red Sea Pro and NoPox. Did the switch pretty gradually too, but my system did not like it at all.

I am using the Aquaforest 5000ml pre-mixed jugs. From what I can tell the Triton 4-part is more economical, but has been out of stock and requires very accurate dosing due to the high concentration. I have 2 Neptune DOS units, so either is an option. Also considering Red Sea's 3 part with the trace elements if I can get an idea of how much I'd likely dose and what I'd be spending. If my math is right, I'd spend more on AF over a year than a nice CaRx would run me.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use ESV B-Ionic? It's got Magnesium and trace elements included and it's only 2 bottles to worry about. Simple, relatively inexpensive and it works.

bbgobie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not use ESV B-Ionic? It's got Magnesium and trace elements included and it's only 2 bottles to worry about. Simple, relatively inexpensive and it works.
Fairly certain this is incorrect. It doesn't contain trace elements like some of the newer products. Additionally magnesium is a 3rd jug

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I've really just looked the three brands I've used before, but if enough people are raving about other products, I will definitely add them to my consideration set.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Potassium? Skeletons would not seem to be a big source ( or sink) for potassium. I think it is mostly inside cells in soft tissues. [emoji3]

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B-ionic does have trace elements in it. It contains
major and minor trace elements

It’s a tricky question. It is not intended to boost the levels of trace elements. The elements in it, like in the Balling sodium chloride free salt, are not intended to be a supplement, but rather to just keep the method itself from reducing them when the aquarist has to reduce the salinity due to accumulating sodium and chloride.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I've really just looked the three brands I've used before, but if enough people are raving about other products, I will definitely add them to my consideration set.
I have no experience with ATI Essentials just mostly curious why it wasn't on the list. Seems like Triton, ATI and Aquaforest are the front runners these days.

I personally have used ESV with success but have since started moving more toward Aquaforest. Triton is intriguing but the supply shortage mostly turned me off of that. I did purchase the ATI Essentials kit but have yet to use it. I'm currently leaning toward full Aquaforest for my system. I use the Reef Salt and will use the Components 1,2,3 when the time comes and strongly considering their products for nutrient control.

I haven't calculated out the options price wise though.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was not a fan of the pro-biotic salt. I had switched from Red Sea Pro and NoPox. Did the switch pretty gradually too, but my system did not like it at all.

I am using the Aquaforest 5000ml pre-mixed jugs. From what I can tell the Triton 4-part is more economical, but has been out of stock and requires very accurate dosing due to the high concentration. I have 2 Neptune DOS units, so either is an option. Also considering Red Sea's 3 part with the trace elements if I can get an idea of how much I'd likely dose and what I'd be spending. If my math is right, I'd spend more on AF over a year than a nice CaRx would run me.

Mix your own and save 2/3 in cost. Aquaforest has the recipe on youtube;) or if you like I created a spreadsheet that does all the calculations with the Aquaforest ingredients.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with ATI Essentials just mostly curious why it wasn't on the list. Seems like Triton, ATI and Aquaforest are the front runners these days.

I personally have used ESV with success but have since started moving more toward Aquaforest. Triton is intriguing but the supply shortage mostly turned me off of that. I did purchase the ATI Essentials kit but have yet to use it. I'm currently leaning toward full Aquaforest for my system. I use the Reef Salt and will use the Components 1,2,3 when the time comes and strongly considering their products for nutrient control.

I haven't calculated out the options price wise though.
Honestly, I have never thought of ATI as anything other than a company that makes great T5s. I have the same mental block with Sicce making coral food.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tropic Marin Original Balling salts are really worth considering too. I have had fantastic results with them
Will definitely check them out. The ICP readings I've seen on the Pro-Reef salt is pretty dang close to perfect.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I have never thought of ATI as anything other than a company that makes great T5s. I have the same mental block with Sicce making coral food.
I understand that. I too wonder at times about products from a company that's not in their niche. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back