3-Part or 4-Part Recommendations

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Elgringodiablo, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Hey Guys-

I am rebuilding my Red Sea Reefer 450 to be an SPS dominant ZeoVit system. I have used Triton Core7, Aquaforest 3-part and BRS 2-part in the past on other systems and the previous build of this system, in which I attempted the Triton Method. I am trying to determine what my best bet is for my new system.

I am leaning toward Triton Core7 Other, Aquaforest or Red Sea 3 parts, as I'd like additives that have the trace elements included. From what I can tell the Triton additives are actually going to be the most affordable, but I am having a hard time determining how much I would use of the Red Sea if I went that route. Triton looks like about $0.52 a day on 10ml, Aquaforest looks like about $2.00 per day on 200ml, really not sure what the math is on the Red Sea 3 part additives without dosing, testing and adjusting. No way for me to determine my consumption yet, as the system is totally empty. Using Tropic Marin Pro and aiming for DKH 7.5, CA 440 and MG 1400.

Thanks!

2. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have had great results with Aquaforest 1+2+3+ and keeping is simple by just use the reef salt and the 1+2+3+

3. jda

jda Valuable Member

If you are going to be hardcore SPS, then get a CaRx. Calcium, Alk, Mag, Potassium, Strontium and many more all in one package.

4. Elgringodiablo

I used 1+2+3+ on two of my systems and I'm happy with the results. Tried their probiotic salt and it didn't work very well for me, hence the zeovit and TM-Pro combo. I use 60ml per day of each in my SPS dominant 30g nano. I have a feeling I'd be using close to 200ml per day in my 100g. That's how I arrived at $2.00 a day in 3 part.

jsker likes this.
  5. Elgringodiablo

No room or money for more gear. I also feel like CaRx can have problems and cause crashes (totally anecdotal and nothing to back this up off hand). Additionally I already have 2 Neptune DOS pumps, so I've already invested in dosing.

6. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

When I first started using Aquaforest salt, I was thinking of using the Probiotic salt and was told to stay with the reef salt. I cannot quote my source;) Are you mixing your own 1+2+3+?

7. Elgringodiablo

Yeah, I was not a fan of the pro-biotic salt. I had switched from Red Sea Pro and NoPox. Did the switch pretty gradually too, but my system did not like it at all.

I am using the Aquaforest 5000ml pre-mixed jugs. From what I can tell the Triton 4-part is more economical, but has been out of stock and requires very accurate dosing due to the high concentration. I have 2 Neptune DOS units, so either is an option. Also considering Red Sea's 3 part with the trace elements if I can get an idea of how much I'd likely dose and what I'd be spending. If my math is right, I'd spend more on AF over a year than a nice CaRx would run me.

jsker likes this.
  8. amps

amps Active Member

Why not use ESV B-Ionic? It's got Magnesium and trace elements included and it's only 2 bottles to worry about. Simple, relatively inexpensive and it works.

9. bbgobie

bbgobie Member

Fairly certain this is incorrect. It doesn't contain trace elements like some of the newer products. Additionally magnesium is a 3rd jug

10. Mrx7899

Mrx7899 Well-Known Member

B-ionic does have trace elements in it. It contains
    major and minor trace elements

11. KJoFan

KJoFan Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

How about ATI Essentials?

12. Elgringodiablo

Honestly, I've really just looked the three brands I've used before, but if enough people are raving about other products, I will definitely add them to my consideration set.

13. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Potassium? Skeletons would not seem to be a big source ( or sink) for potassium. I think it is mostly inside cells in soft tissues.

14. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

It’s a tricky question. It is not intended to boost the levels of trace elements. The elements in it, like in the Balling sodium chloride free salt, are not intended to be a supplement, but rather to just keep the method itself from reducing them when the aquarist has to reduce the salinity due to accumulating sodium and chloride.

Rick.45cal likes this.
  15. KJoFan

I have no experience with ATI Essentials just mostly curious why it wasn't on the list. Seems like Triton, ATI and Aquaforest are the front runners these days.

I personally have used ESV with success but have since started moving more toward Aquaforest. Triton is intriguing but the supply shortage mostly turned me off of that. I did purchase the ATI Essentials kit but have yet to use it. I'm currently leaning toward full Aquaforest for my system. I use the Reef Salt and will use the Components 1,2,3 when the time comes and strongly considering their products for nutrient control.

I haven't calculated out the options price wise though.

16. jsker

Mix your own and save 2/3 in cost. Aquaforest has the recipe on youtube;) or if you like I created a spreadsheet that does all the calculations with the Aquaforest ingredients.

Elgringodiablo likes this.
  17. Rick.45cal

Rick.45cal Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

The Tropic Marin Original Balling salts are really worth considering too. I have had fantastic results with them

Elgringodiablo and jsker like this.
  18. Elgringodiablo

Honestly, I have never thought of ATI as anything other than a company that makes great T5s. I have the same mental block with Sicce making coral food.

19. Elgringodiablo

Will definitely check them out. The ICP readings I've seen on the Pro-Reef salt is pretty dang close to perfect.

20. KJoFan

I understand that. I too wonder at times about products from a company that's not in their niche. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted