3 tangs in a 125g

dogum99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone's take on the amount of tangs in 125g long. 72" tank? I have a friend who is going to give me a 4" purple tang. Right now I am tangless. I am wanting to get a yellow eyed kole and a white cheek tang. None of the tangs get super large. What are you guys opinions??

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes and I have done this before with success. The only issue might be that the purple might get territorial being in the tank first. Other than that, good to go.

el richie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had three in my first tank (a55) and then 6 in my 125 you should be fine. Add them at the same time or when adding the other ones just put them in an acclimation box and leave them their for a couple days to check the aggression

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple should be last fish in if possible. I added a small bristlemouth with mine already the dominant fish, but they still fight pretty hard in my 125g.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YES! you can do it.. but those purples can be mean once established. in my 75 I had a purple, Powder brown and tomini. the purple and the brown were the meanest. if you get them, get them very close to each other so you have less issues.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The above is not true at all. Purple tang was the first tang in my tank...he is a mean fish, but it is not the only way to do it.

There are times when adding tangs at the same time might be worse...its a fight to the death for territory.

If a fish comes into another's established territory, there is a chance he will just hide and settle for what he gets.

Re-arranging decor works.

24hr blackout works.

Stocking just regularly works.

Lot of ways to do this, and they can all be made work...question is what you like the best, and what is the best for all the animals.

OP
OP
dogum99

dogum99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem fish do not stay in my tank for very long. I have torn my whole tank apart to get a fish out.

fish&corals

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a purple it has to be the dead last fish you add to your tank .. they are very mean and will beat up your other fish .. i have a 180 with 3 tangs in right ,,

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done, as I am currently doing this same thing (1 male naso, 1 chevron, 1 scopas). Each are different sizes, but be careful with the purple. My purple excepted a scopas tang, but ended up being sold after he and my blue jaw trigger wanted the same rock to control. Both are together now in a 225 and are co-kings of the tank . They were sold to a local here that needed help with a aggressive powder blue and they lost their issues with each other. I can say with the ones you have listed, try to get smaller sizes. This will help if you have a budget like me and can only aquire 1 at a time. Each time, rearrange rocks if needed and add the newbie at night. I believe it should go as follows: kole tang, purple tang, and last the white cheek/gold rim. Good luck

Oceanslayer18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tang policing please. But i have a 6 inch Vlamingi, 5 inch Blonde naso, 5 inch Sohal and 3 inch blue tang all in the exact same tank size you have. 6 ft long, everyone is happy.

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with a purple it has to be the dead last fish you add to your tank .. they are very mean and will beat up your other fish .. i have a 180 with 3 tangs in right ,,

Purple tang was first tang into my 125...by more than a month.

Added since was a blue tang (larger by several inches - okay) and a tomini tang (a lot smaller, and is a bristletooth - doesnt attract attention and can hide)

There is aggression, but no one is really ever seriously hurt. You can get away with adding small bristletooth tangs fairly easily as long as they are healthy and feeding, they usually avoid heat.

Also good post by saltgator...it can go both ways, some fish might be born wussies, and others might have a temper...attitude varies from fish to fish.

LPAJ5280

University of Northern CO
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a HUGE blue hippo in a 150. I recently added a powder blue and yellow tang (3-4 months ago). I am told not to add anymore tangs by the local pet store, but i may experiment a bit. The blue hippo chases the powder blue around a good deal, but they are fine. No fins have been nipped or anything. should be noted, the blue hippo was the only tang for a long time, things are still ok. i say put them in until you see a problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back