3 Year Reefer

Rene'

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have figured out why flower pot corals are hard to keep.... They like dirty water!
Mine has lived for 1 1/2 years, and now it's on its way out. It was very happy in my old 50 gal tank with a hang on filter. Hi nitrates and nitrites were always a problem. The flower pot thrived.

When I moved up to a 90 gal with a sump, the flower pot has struggled ever since. My parameters are all 0 in the newer tank.

Just guessing here, but I think that's why people have a hard time keeping them.

All my other corals are growing at a crazy speed, but the flower pot is almost dead.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and hope all is well ^_^
Not sure about flower pot corals as never had one and new to saltwater, if your coreect then they would flourish in my tank of 8 months as nitrates 40 on api and 25- 50 on salifert tests ha ha.going do larger wc today,20% rather than usual 10% to try lower them some but i feed alot to try keep fish healthy and only handfull off corals to use the nitrate so i know why high

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have figured out why flower pot corals are hard to keep.... They like dirty water!
Mine has lived for 1 1/2 years, and now it's on its way out. It was very happy in my old 50 gal tank with a hang on filter. Hi nitrates and nitrites were always a problem. The flower pot thrived.

When I moved up to a 90 gal with a sump, the flower pot has struggled ever since. My parameters are all 0 in the newer tank.

Just guessing here, but I think that's why people have a hard time keeping them.

All my other corals are growing at a crazy speed, but the flower pot is almost dead.
Welcome!!!

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R,

Goniporas and LPS in general like higher nitrates and phosphates. My hammer, frogspawn, and gonis grew and double and triple in size when my phosphates were above 0.15 and phosphates in the 15-20 range.

Now in a cleaner tank with lower phosphates 0.05 and nitrate about 5-10, I find that I have to feed them to help them slowly grow...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back