300 Gallon In-Wall + Fish Room / 115 Gallon Frag Tank

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My wife and I are remodeling an area in the house near the front door and adding a Bar. I said how awesome it would look if behind the bar was a massive predator tank instead of just staring at a wall. So in short I will have 2 builds on this thread lol. We discussed for several hours, and the tank will be acrylic 2" thick at 650 gallons :) 96" x 36" x 42" tall. I will use artificial coral inserts and no rock or corals. I haven't decided on sump or equipment yet, but it will all be decided soon. This build is looking to take between 6-10 months.

Very cool!

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been a while since I've updated, finally got construction wrapping up and got the tank into its final resting place. Next step is to frame the wall around the tank making it an in wall tank visible by 2 sides (the front and left side).

tank 1.jpg
tank 2.jpg
@AiKkz Question for youMy Marineland standard 180 gallon has a dimension of: 72-7/16 x 24-7/16 x 25-3/8
I am asking the stand to be : Length = 73 Width = 26 H= 46
Does this seem accurate? Should I adjust anything with the stand? Please let me know before I have them start the fabrication. Thanks.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

Hard work beats talent every time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AiKkz Question for youMy Marineland standard 180 gallon has a dimension of: 72-7/16 x 24-7/16 x 25-3/8
I am asking the stand to be : Length = 73 Width = 26 H= 46
Does this seem accurate? Should I adjust anything with the stand? Please let me know before I have them start the fabrication. Thanks.
You want the tank to be sitting directly on the stand IMO. So you don't want the stand to stick out too much past the tank for example if a 2x4 is 1 1/2" thick i wouldn't bring the tank in past the middle of the 2x4 so roughly 3/4". For your tank I would make the stand no bigger than Length = 74" x Width = 26" if your actual tank dimensions are 72 - 7/16" x 24 - 7/16" The corners of the stand are crucial especially for a larger system. If we were talking about a 40g breeder then it wouldn't matter as much, but a tank of that size should be fully supported. Hope this help. If its still confusing I can draw a pic to better explain.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt about it. No crazy flow, no crazy lights, no crazy equiptment. Lol
Exactly, the main cost will be tank, stand, skimmer, sump. not 6 radions and T5's lol probably do (2) ecotech L1's for return and closed loop. especially because there's no power heads that will stick on 2" thick acrylic lol.
dang that is awesome, she’s definitely a keeper lol look forward to your next build
Thanks, it should go quicker then this build! (hopefully)

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, the main cost will be tank, stand, skimmer, sump. not 6 radions and T5's lol probably do (2) ecotech L1's for return and closed loop. especially because there's no power heads that will stick on 2" thick acrylic lol.

Thanks, it should go quicker then this build! (hopefully)
Dont go with vectra L1s. Get the L2. No motor heating and burning issues. I was looking for 2 L1s and read alot of issues with them. Now I'm going to just buy new.

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont go with vectra L1s. Get the L2. No motor heating and burning issues. I was looking for 2 L1s and read alot of issues with them. Now I'm going to just buy new.
Good to know, I'm not going to order for a little while, so let me know how you like them!!!

OP
OP
AiKkz

AiKkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion that's the problem with these coral farms. A fresh cut you dont know what you are going to get.
Agreed, I would mind a lot more if I was paying full price, but when paying ebay or live sale prices I don't mind as much!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back