300 GALLON LOOK DOWN

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0982.JPG

5' X 3'6" Approx. 280 gallons plus 20 gallon sump/refugium- pondliner ply box- running two 300 watt viperspectra- may move these to back and add kessil spot to minimize the middle light glare though its worse in photo than in person.

My little yellow tang needed more space than in my 55 after about a year and a half so rather than make a temporary upgrade, I decided to build a large ply/pondliner tank that would support all the fish I wanted for my ultimate build, which will be a 4’x4’ acrylic lagoon once I’ve remodeled my basement.

My plans are to establish a community of fish before I setup the lagoon tank in a few years so all fish going in are healthy and coexisting peacefully so I can setup without any troubles. That way I don’t have to make big livestock purchases after the big tank purchase.

Using an in tank Jebao and getting about 10 complete water cycles per hour and a RIO pump with about 2 tank cycles per hour plumbed to a DIY wet/dry sump with a bubble magus Curve 5 skimmer which overflows into a deep sand bed chaeto/mangrove refugium that gravity feeds back into the look down.

Stock list: (plus how long I’ve had each fish)

Royal Gramma- 7 years

Gold stripe maroon female- 6 years

Gold Stripe maroon male- 1 year

Yellow tang- 2.5 years

Copperband butterfly- 1 month

Lemon chromis- 6 months

Bicolor angel- 6 months

Hippo tang – 2 weeks in QT

Foxface- to be added

Striped goby- 6 months

Blue Mandarin – to be added

Trio of anthias- maybe in the new acrylic

Flame angel- to be added

Corals:

10 RBTA’s, xenia, star polyp, ricordea, zoas, frogspawn, kenya tree, staghorn

Currently I have it divided while I get my copperband used to hand feeding and give time to establish without the tang harassing. Planning to add the hippo and foxface to the right side with the butterfly and then one morning the yellow tang will wake up to a bunch of new large fish. The yellow has chased the CBB a bit when together for a day when I could observe them but the second day the CBB decided it wasn’t going to run anymore and raised his top fins to fight back so I separated until I can add some more distractions.

I love the way the fish swim around more naturally when there is no glass and more tank width rather than back and forth against the glass on most long and narrow aquariums I've seen. The gramma is rarely upright anymore and spends most of his time swimming sideways against the solid walls. The bicolor has an opening in the grate and visits both sides. The large maroon won't stop tail fanning the sand bed away from her nems.

I feed frozen mysis, frozen omnivore mix, and live black worms. cbb.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0988.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back