Results are only viewable after voting.

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

3D printed reef accessories
are an amazing way to enhance your reefing experience. Some of our favorites are our frag plug sand stands or our AFS feeder ring. What are your opinions on 3D printed reef accessories?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I print them for all my friends and myself. I have introduced a few friends to 3D printing. We all do the same thing, print stuff for free or just the cost of filament.

I actually now have 5 printers.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello Reefers!

3D printed reef accessories
are an amazing way to enhance your reefing experience. Some of our favorites are our frag plug sand stands or our AFS feeder ring. What are your opinions on 3D printed reef accessories?

I like them and especially like the sand sifter!

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have two... but both havent let me down, even though i wish one of them was designed a little differently.

- 3d printed diffusers for my ai hydra 26HDs. no complaints on these.

- ato/dosing tube holder. this one, i wish it was shorter. it would be perfect for a rimless sump, but it goes a little too deep for my liking into the filter section of my aio, where the water level is much higher than your average sump, and the tubes are very close to the water, submerging them when i turn off the return pump for maintenance. i haven't had a backsiphon because of it due to the pumps preventing it, but... one day, that may not be the case as things age/wear.

J.

jurgenph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i only have two... but both havent let me down, even though i wish one of them was designed a little differently.

- 3d printed diffusers for my ai hydra 26HDs. no complaints on these.

- ato/dosing tube holder. this one, i wish it was shorter. it would be perfect for a rimless sump, but it goes a little too deep for my liking into the filter section of my aio, where the water level is much higher than your average sump, and the tubes are very close to the water, submerging them when i turn off the return pump for maintenance. i haven't had a backsiphon because of it due to the pumps preventing it, but... one day, that may not be the case as things age/wear.

J.

just in case this wasn't obvious, i did not purchase these from you, but other sellers ;)

J.

OP
OP
Printed Reef

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a huge fan of 3D printed product in general, as they always seem to look "unfinished" more of a prototype than a molded product.
Fair point! Always trying to improve on things like this.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have a few 3D printed things Ive bought... diffuser for one of my return lines, a couple pump intake guards for my two COR-20 return pumps and light deflectors for my AI Fuge light. They have all worked great.

Also forgot about the 4 MP40 holders... Guess I've got more things than I thought.

reefinnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primarily use mine for making useful reef items. Mounts, tubing holders, float switch mounts, Neptune stuff, etc. I love the flexibility it gives me. Never bought anything printed though.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d print my own accessories for my tank and I love having the ability to do it, so I answered the poll that I love them. However, if I were purchasing the items from a store I don't think I would be happy with the quality that you get from a 3d printer. Although maybe it's just that my prints aren't very good so I don't know how much quality you can get from a good print.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3D printed nozzles for the MP10's I have. I had a problem with small snails getting into them and locking them up. I was able to create a screen to keep them out and also narrow the output flow to go farther. They just snapped on and worked. Plus 3Dprinting doesn't need tooling/molds to produce. As a salable product I would not use 3D printing directly I would design the parts and use the prints to make tooling for molding.

OP
OP
Printed Reef

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d print my own accessories for my tank and I love having the ability to do it, so I answered the poll that I love them. However, if I were purchasing the items from a store I don't think I would be happy with the quality that you get from a 3d printer. Although maybe it's just that my prints aren't very good so I don't know how much quality you can get from a good print.
3D printing is certainly very helpful. What printer do you have?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D printing isn't quite 'there' yet, if you know what I mean.
And this is just my problem, but why does it always have to be advertised as 3D PRINTED!! WOW AWESOME!!
it's just another fabrication method that allows people to make one-offs in their garage. it's cool for the first few times you use one I guess.

OP
OP
Printed Reef

Printed Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D printing isn't quite 'there' yet, if you know what I mean.
And this is just my problem, but why does it always have to be advertised as 3D PRINTED!! WOW AWESOME!!
it's just another fabrication method that allows people to make one-offs in their garage. it's cool for the first few times you use one I guess.
True, but the main benefit of being 3D printed is the endless possibilities of things that can be created.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D printing is certainly very helpful. What printer do you have?
It's just a Creality Ender 3. I've only had it for about 2 years and I honestly don't use it much but I love having the ability to make something when needed, especially things that you can't normally buy. I've considered upgrading to a nicer printer but overall for the price it seems to be a really good value.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back