dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to have some way to store filament:

spool_rack.jpg

I am printing another set of brackets. That's not even half of my filament collection. :D

@JDowns

Nubbs01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dry the filament before using it? Storing it in the open like that I would think it would absorb moisture

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you dry the filament before using it? Storing it in the open like that I would think it would absorb moisture

I use it quick enough that it's fine. But, I am switching to all PETG which doesn't absorb it like PLA does. The remaining PLA will be stored in a sterilite with damp rid.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered a Prusa MK3S witch should be here this week. I’m hoping to make a frag rack and and shroud for my Kessil H380 to contain the light in my Fuge section. Will start learning how to use Fusion 360 but if anyone has an STL file for a light shroud that Incould possibly modify, that would be great.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happiness is a perfect first layer:

That first layer looks great, is it so smooth because you are using PETG? My PLA first layers always have some "grain" to them.

My PLA printing has been going well but I just started experimenting with PETG the other day and still need to get my settings dialed in, the first layer is stringy and not bonding to itself. What kind of settings changes did you need to make between PLA and PETG?

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 3DPrinterPlans.com, developed it as a sharing forum but never launched it. I really need to get back to work on that. o_O

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
That first layer looks great, is it so smooth because you are using PETG? My PLA first layers always have some "grain" to them.

My PLA printing has been going well but I just started experimenting with PETG the other day and still need to get my settings dialed in, the first layer is stringy and not bonding to itself. What kind of settings changes did you need to make between PLA and PETG?
Actually, that is HQA brand PLA+ I used it at 205/60 (68 since I have a glass bed) The PETG is just as nice if not nicer in the same brand. I run it at 235/55 (63 glass bed)

I use no glue or hairspray anymore.

I am going to stick with proto pasta if I want matte finish. Absolutely beautiful finish. And HQA for PLA+ and PETG. It costs more, but I wasted so much PLA that was $20 or less that it's silly not to spend the extra few bucks. I threw away 3dhero black and wood from tangles and blobs and 3d solutech blue from inconsistency in diameter.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh @Larry L I forgot to mention, if you use Cura, make sure to set up a separate profile for PETG. It just saves a lot of time. I basically use three setups in Cura. PETG .2mm and adjust the infill accordingly, PLA draft same thing and PLA fine 1.5mm and adjust infill.

There are other settings that are printer specific but those don't change much. So basically, I took the time to dial these three in and leave them alone except for infill and 90% of the stuff I run in 20% anyway.

Hope this helps!

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

chrishet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works well for me. I've been through 3 rolls, 1 white 2 black, and I haven't had any issues. Every PETG I've used is a little stringy, this isn't nearly as bad as some. I'm printing it using a Microswiss all metal hot end at 245C, bed at 80C, fans off on layer 1 and 75% on layer 4 up. I print everything at .1 layer height which is slow I know but I get good results.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works well for me. I've been through 3 rolls, 1 white 2 black, and I haven't had any issues. Every PETG I've used is a little stringy, this isn't nearly as bad as some. I'm printing it using a Microswiss all metal hot end at 245C, bed at 80C, fans off on layer 1 and 75% on layer 4 up. I print everything at .1 layer height which is slow I know but I get good results.

Thanks for the feedback. I got strings on the HQA PETG first test print at 240 degrees dialed down to 235 and no stringing.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I am looking to get a printer. Budget is about $500. What is best for reef stuff?
(I suspect this is like asking what light/salt to buy, but I want to hear some options)

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I am looking to get a printer. Budget is about $500. What is best for reef stuff?
(I suspect this is like asking what light/salt to buy, but I want to hear some options)

Probably an ender 3 with glass bed.... $210 or so. There are not many benefits until you get to the $750 range, which gets you to Prusa and enclosed printers.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back