3D Printing thread

DJDerbstep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else use a Raspberry Pi for printer control/monitoring?

I've been using Octoprint for awhile and it's really nice however I did run in to issues with my Pi randomly shutting off and figured out it was a voltage problem. Very frustrating when your 13 hours in to a print. They do have support for a webcam and time-lapse capabilities though which is nice. Especially if you can set it up to be view-able outside of your local network.

I just got in to reefing but I'll be printing reef solutions soon enough. Already have plans for a custom overflow cover and some frag racks. I've seen some people print clear PETG or ABS shells for hermit crabs which are awesome.

I'm printing with a Wanhao Duplicator I3 V2.1 which is awesome out of the box and cheap. Prints are great but to get pristine quality or higher temps you'll need to do some modding but that's all part of the fun.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Octoprint for awhile and it's really nice however I did run in to issues with my Pi randomly shutting off and figured out it was a voltage problem. Very frustrating when your 13 hours in to a print. They do have support for a webcam and time-lapse capabilities though which is nice. Especially if you can set it up to be view-able outside of your local network.

I just got in to reefing but I'll be printing reef solutions soon enough. Already have plans for a custom overflow cover and some frag racks. I've seen some people print clear PETG or ABS shells for hermit crabs which are awesome.

I'm printing with a Wanhao Duplicator I3 V2.1 which is awesome out of the box and cheap. Prints are great but to get pristine quality or higher temps you'll need to do some modding but that's all part of the fun.
I'm using the MonoPrice rebranding of that printer, did you modify it to use a raspberry pi or is that a different printer?

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wanhao and monoprice shouldn't need any modification to be managed by a raspberry pi. If you can tether your printer to a PC, you can use octoprint (unless it requires specific software suites like makerbot or others).

DJDerbstep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the MonoPrice rebranding of that printer, did you modify it to use a raspberry pi or is that a different printer?

Yeah, you should be fine with stock, there's a micro/mini usb port on the side of the control. The stock USB cables that come with the printer are trash though so make sure you don't use them.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I haven't tried using the USB connection yet, I've just been putting the .gcode files on the SD card. I'm hoping to setup a webcam and possibly setup remote printing.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I haven't tried using the USB connection yet, I've just been putting the .gcode files on the SD card. I'm hoping to setup a webcam and possibly setup remote printing.
Raspberry pi is the way to go. Don't bother tethering to a computer. If the computer has any problems then it will ruin the print

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend in work made me feet for my aluminium (England here) box section light stands to keep them off the glass.
Having read this it looks like I will have another partner hobby for my little reefs soon! ;)

DSC05970 by sshipuk, on Flickr

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A family member (who is kind of a technology hipster) gave me his 3d printer project to finish. Sounds cooler than it is. This Prusa Mendel i1 has been on a shelf for a few years....
6d573a042cd998b98794c9fbdf2c3cd6.jpg

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to upgrade the Belts, pullys and maybe the board. I have to replace the 8mm rods but I have most of them laying around. I haven't decided if I'm going to upgrade the hotend or add a heated bed. This entire machine fits on the print bed of the other one I'm building. It would be perfect for printing the little PLA gizmos my daughter wants but I'm tempted to turn it into a co2 laser cutter.... 30w would be enough to make acrylic frag racks.... Though I can print them so it's a toss up.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A family member (who is kind of a technology hipster) gave me his 3d printer project to finish. Sounds cooler than it is. This Prusa Mendel i1 has been on a shelf for a few years....
6d573a042cd998b98794c9fbdf2c3cd6.jpg

Could one please elaborate on what exactly a "technology hipster" is?

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could one please elaborate on what exactly a "technology hipster" is?
Lol

He works on the software for Phillips imaging machines (like MRI) so when something starts becoming more accessible to consumers he dives in and by the time anyone can do it, he has lost interest.

On the other hand, he never says "I was into that before it was cool" so it's not a completely fitting description. Maybe technology ADD is better?

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, it'll stop changing color after a while
I was wondering about that yesterday, thinking it would be a similar degradation as glow in the dark materials.

It's mostly going to be used for fidget spinners but having the giant stroller caribeener that changes color is just for my entertainment.

Bought the wanhao duplicator 7 yesterday. I'm really looking forward to it.

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a 3D printer. Ive been interested in the FormLabs printers for a while but couldn't justify the high cost. So when a competitive product came to the market I decided to take the plunge and ordered the T1000 from Global 3D Systems. I'm excited to have something to tinker with and make some cool/useful stuff for my tanks.

I'd like to replace the legs for my T5 fixture on the planted tank, I've had to repair all of the legs with epoxy. I need to look into if there is an easy way to 3d scan something without spending a bunch more money on an actual 3d scanner.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://remake.autodesk.com/about

If they are a somewhat flat design you could scan them on a flatbed scanner and then trace the object as an SVG in illustrating software. Then upload to tinkercad and let it extruded your shape. Given their purpose though I would probably just take measurements and make something new in CAD rather than deal with correcting a 3d scan.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back