3D Printing thread

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sense scanner by 3D systems is the best scanner for under $1000 that I've used, and I've pretty much tried them all.

It's $400 and works well for fairly complex parts as long as you don't require tight tolerances.

If you're trying to scan into solid models for CAD manipulation, the you're looking at $10k+

fetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to just take the plunge and get a printer, but very green when it comes to printers looking for something i can unbox and print with

Last edited:

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to just tale rhe plunge and get a printer, but very green when it comes to printers looking for something i can unbox and print with
Monoprice select mini is a great little printer if you just want to plug it in and make things. About $200

They just released a new version for $230 I think

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First successful print. Sla is a whole different game
9d043656eac9e06e4648abead5ed1973.jpg

DJDerbstep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy is 3d printing an algae scrubber design off of thingiverse, I'll be sure to put pics up once we get it all done. I've done a few more reef related objects like frag plug holders and racks. Haven't stepped in to PETg yet but I plan on it in the near future. Those SLA prints look great but the build volume looks a little limiting.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy is 3d printing an algae scrubber design off of thingiverse, I'll be sure to put pics up once we get it all done. I've done a few more reef related objects like frag plug holders and racks. Haven't stepped in to PETg yet but I plan on it in the near future. Those SLA prints look great but the build volume looks a little limiting.
Unless you're paying $20k for the printer, all sla has a small build plate compared to fdm.

I want to print that algae scrubber too but I need to do some more toxicity testing

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm a big fan of the petg from makergeeks. It prints as well or better than colorfabb xt and madesolid petg and is super cheap. the matterhackers petg pro is good too, but more expensive than the makergeeks.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of the petg from makergeeks. It prints as well or better than colorfabb xt and madesolid petg and is super cheap. the matterhackers petg pro is good too, but more expensive than the makergeeks.

How does it compare to PLA in terms of how easy it is to print with?

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have the right settings dialed in, it's much easier than ABS because it doesn't warp so it doesn't pull off the bed or split. There is also very little shrinkage compared to ABS and PLA.

I don't suggest makergeeks though. There are way too many customer service issues.

morpheas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comment! I am interested in trying one but have not yet done it...

Back