40 Breeder Light question

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering would the light below be ok for my 40 breeder? I plan on adding either a Kessil or an Ecotech Xr15 This is a mixed reef
and I will probably only have a few sps that will sit directly under the LED. I just need to know while the T4 model below is a decent size for a 40B. Thanks.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s within your budget I would at least try to go to 36” since T5s don’t have a great light spread. Plus with the 36” you’ll get significantly better coverage since you’ll be able to add two of whatever light you choose. Kessils or Primes would probably be the cheapest options

MichaelP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed 40 breeders are tough to light with only a single main light especially an LED. Even a 250w Metal Halide in the center will leave some shadows on the end.

The t5s will give you plenty of light to grow soft corals and lps or easy sps throughout the tank. So it’s more about the look of having the whole tank lit up. I would go with the 36” model with the 2 led mounting points and “ 2 cheaper/weaker leds” if you aren’t going to keep all sps that will give you plenty of light

Last edited:

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven’t spend the cash then consider the AP9x if you like the Kessil shimmer. Should be fine in a 36” breeder, probably a slight overkill. You have the benefit of a good looking light with better controllability since wifi is built in

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back