40 breeder mixed Reef

justinkurpiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am looking to introduce my tank and get some help.

This tank has been running for about 5 months now but just joined the reef 2 reef family. The tank is a standard 40 breeder with steel stand. The tank was started with dry rock and sand. Starting from the top I have a hydra 26 hd as well as some DIY t5 fixtures. The lights are all mounted to a DIY canopy. Life support is provided by an eschopps sump with refugium section and a bubble magus curve 5. I am running a jab return for now but plan on upgrading. Currently I am also running filter socks but have a 3d printed filter cup on order. Also have 2 x 150 watt heaters. The tank is monitored and controlled by a brand new apex. Flow in the tankis provided by Rfg nozzle and an slw-30.

My calcium and alkalinity are closed through kalk in the auto top off. My levels are listed below.

Alk...... 9.9
phosphate.......0.07
nitrate......11.7ppm
salinity.....1.025
ph.......7.8
temp......79

Livestock includes 3 anthias, a clownfish, a yellow tang, and a filefish. I have a variety of coral including some zoa, a neon toadstool, a maze brain, red and yellow Goni, a splatter hammer, and some sps frags that are not to happy.

My current battle was with Dino and now stability as I had a nutrient spike after defeating Dino and now have some Cyanobacteria. I am currently ding about once a week water changes.

A few questions I had were
- if I’m running too much light with a hydra 26 running AB + and 4 t5 bulbs
- any help win cyano
- coral suggestions
- New APEX USER tips and tricks

Any help or suggestions would be super appreciated. I've been in the hobby about 8 years Including working for my LFS, but took a break when I went to college. Happy to be back.

image.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! FYI the yellow tang will outgrow that tank.

For the lighting your really gonna need to rent a par meter to get a good answer. I think brs still rents them out (or your lfs might let you borrow one).

For cyano the main thing is to get your nutrients under control but chemiclean is also an option (and a very effective one).

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon which is the same foot print width/lengthwise and run a similar setup. Rent a par meter. I have a par map in the lighting section if you want a ballpark figure. I use AI primes (which are individual pucks) and 4 ATI bulbs if that’s what you’re using. But in my opinion lighting might not be the issue. Nobody likes to hear, it but it takes about a yr and a half for a reef to really become established and until it does just keep up with the husbandry. It’ll stabilize and your coral will adapt. I kept looking for ways to fight the algae, cyano, diatoms, etc.... and when I just let it be, controlled the feeding, and kept up with the occasional water change it solved itself.
2AE99065-0F70-4D39-B610-051DB6EAC98B.jpeg
BF4B97FA-70C7-4DBE-A7D8-D6FA32F670F9.jpeg

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your t-5 bulbs and what watt? Blues/whites? Also what are using for a water source?
Curious about the 3-d printed cup holder instead of socks

OP
OP
justinkurpiel

justinkurpiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are your t-5 bulbs and what watt? Blues/whites? Also what are using for a water source?
Curious about the 3-d printed cup holder instead of socks
I run 2 blue plus bulbs and two actinic bulbs that are about 3 months old. For a water source I’m using only rodi water that I check every time I make it for tds.

I’ll let you know how the cup works! I got one but it was made too large so the supplier is making another one.

OP
OP
justinkurpiel

justinkurpiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 gallon which is the same foot print width/lengthwise and run a similar setup. Rent a par meter. I have a par map in the lighting section if you want a ballpark figure. I use AI primes (which are individual pucks) and 4 ATI bulbs if that’s what you’re using. But in my opinion lighting might not be the issue. Nobody likes to hear, it but it takes about a yr and a half for a reef to really become established and until it does just keep up with the husbandry. It’ll stabilize and your coral will adapt. I kept looking for ways to fight the algae, cyano, diatoms, etc.... and when I just let it be, controlled the feeding, and kept up with the occasional water change it solved itself.
2AE99065-0F70-4D39-B610-051DB6EAC98B.jpeg
BF4B97FA-70C7-4DBE-A7D8-D6FA32F670F9.jpeg
Gorgeous tank thanks for the tips! do you have any issues with the flame angel? I have been debating adding a dwarf angel but worried about nipping corals

OP
OP
justinkurpiel

justinkurpiel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update? Also did you ever defeat your cyno problem?
Hey I did beat the cyano for a bit but unfortunately it has returned. I’ll be moving in a few weeks so will be updating the thread with the new tank setup. Going to be going with a 60 gallon rimless cube with new sump so stay tuned!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back