40 Gallon Breeder Sump Layout

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 150 Gallon, tank and am building a DIY Sump out of a 40 Gallon Breeder tank. I bought the Fiji Cube Sump Baffle kit for it and am in the process of laying it out. So far, I know how big the intake and return are going to be, where I need help is with the size of the refugium vs the skimmer. I ordered the Hydor E-SK 600 DC skimmer, it says that it has a 7.8" x 7.8" footprint, but I don't have it on hand yet.

How big does a refugium need to be? I've never had one before, but I wanted to do it since that's what BRS suggested as the easiest way to keep a clean display tank. I would like to keep as much room in the skimmer area as possible so that it has room for bigger/different skimmer if I need one down the line. Plus, the skimmer area is where I'm going to keep the heater.

Where would the water level sensor for the ATO go in the sump? Or is it best to put the water level sensor in the display tank?

Screenshot_20210730-131029_Gallery.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 150 Gallon, tank and am building a DIY Sump out of a 40 Gallon Breeder tank. I bought the Fiji Cube Sump Baffle kit for it and am in the process of laying it out. So far, I know how big the intake and return are going to be, where I need help is with the size of the refugium vs the skimmer. I ordered the Hydor E-SK 600 DC skimmer, it says that it has a 7.8" x 7.8" footprint, but I don't have it on hand yet.

How big does a refugium need to be? I've never had one before, but I wanted to do it since that's what BRS suggested as the easiest way to keep a clean display tank. I would like to keep as much room in the skimmer area as possible so that it has room for bigger/different skimmer if I need one down the line. Plus, the skimmer area is where I'm going to keep the heater.

Where would the water level sensor for the ATO go in the sump? Or is it best to put the water level sensor in the display tank?

Screenshot_20210730-131029_Gallery.jpg
Water level sensor for the ATO will be in the return pump section far right. I have 9' for my skimmer section which also houses a heater and separate pump for uv.

Personally, I'd go as wide as you can in the fuge while maintaining a little area bigger then your current skimmer footprint. At the end of the day, The baffles can be moved with about an hour of work if you do get a skimmer in the future that is too big.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO sensor shouldn't go in the DT since that level won't change. You'll need to place it in the refugium section based on what I can see in your picture.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the refugium section, do it in the return pump section.
My only issue with the layout and putting it in the pump return section is that the filter pads they have there could slow down the water flowing into the pump return, especially as they get dirty. This would make the ATO sensor think the water is low, when it's actually backed up a little.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 48.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 48 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.0%
Back