40 gallon build questions

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can’t drill tempered glass. There are ways to check to see. All you need are polarized sun glasses and your phone.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very first coral! :)

I got a corky finger, about 4" or so tall.

I also picked up a red dragonet. An impulse buy, so pretty. The seller said they eat frozen foods... I bought some live pods a well just in case.

Also 5 hermits and a couple of turo snails.

Currently acclimating, pictures to come!

pH = 8.0
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0 (unreadable at least with skimmer)
Phospate = 0.25

I have minor green algae, diatoms and cyano. I bought some seachem phosguard and activated carbon - ok to run these on an empty hob filter?

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love corky fingers!
Was one of my first corals(though had no idea what it was for 2 years [emoji23])

The cyano is likely from no nitrate what fish do you have besides the dragonet?

Before you add phosphate media try upping the nitrate to something that registers on your test kit. Anywhere from 1ppm-10ppm is fine dont need to pick a number. This might be as simple as adding another fish.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corky finger
20181121_200203.jpeg

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love corky fingers!
Was one of my first corals(though had no idea what it was for 2 years [emoji23])

The cyano is likely from no nitrate what fish do you have besides the dragonet?

Before you add phosphate media try upping the nitrate to something that registers on your test kit. Anywhere from 1ppm-10ppm is fine dont need to pick a number. This might be as simple as adding another fish.
I feed once a day and alternate flake and frozen brine shrimp. My skimmer pulls out brown water so maybe it is just too good :)

I have 2x clowns, 2x cleaner shrimp and 1 orchid dottyback.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking new addition :) you can pull your collection cup and let your skimmer overflow into sump to get your nutrients up without losing the gas exchange it provides.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Retro Reefer and Gareth for the advice!

I took the cup off the skimmer and will see how that goes. I added about half the pods to the display rock and the other half to a rock I just added to the sump.

The orchid dottyback is being a butthead to the hermits, darting at them and knocking them over :D

Everybody it's now in the tank. The red dragonette is just hanging out and the corky fingers really opened up!
20181121_222149.jpeg
20181121_222054.jpeg

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second coral! Rhodactis mushroom.

There is a little hitchhiker in there too you can see in the picture above the mushroom. Is that a baby snail? Just wondering if it is safe...

A better picture off the ruby red dragonet as well. He is not eating the frozen brine yet :( I bought some more pods and was thinking I could try to spot feed him.

Also got a couple of turbo snails. They are more brown than the other 2 I just added which are lighter almost white.

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe :). Stomella snail(probably misspelled lol)

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe :). Stomella snail(probably misspelled lol)
Thank you Gareth! It was your input on my other thread that helped me pull the trigger on the corky fingers :)

They also had what think was a sleeper banded goby that labeled as a dragon goby. I didn't get it but was wondering if it would be ok to get and good to have as a sand sifter?

Last edited:

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Gareth! It was your input on my other thread that helped me pull the trigger on the corky fingers :)

They also had what think was a sleeper banded goby that labeled as a dragon goby. I didn't get it but was wondering if it would be ok to get and good to have as a sand sifter?

Only dragon goby i personally know of is a brackish water fish? Could be a trade name or something I am not familiar with.
That said never owned a sleeper goby either have read they have a penchant for putting said where you dont want it.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would appear that there might be two species called "dragon goby". If you Google it, the first few are the prehistoric dragon goby, which is brackish and gets to be like a foot long. This was not that fish. About 6 entries down on Google, the petplace.com shows "dragon goby" and it lists it as the sleeper banded goby. Should have taken a picture but this one looked like the latter. Here was swimming mid tank and not the bottom as well.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom now on the rock. Placement? I believe I read that it should be low flow and low light, so I put him to the side and on the opposite side from the powerheads.
20181123_155437.jpeg

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... More reading that mushrooms can take over? I know that everyone said kenyi trees, green star polyps and xenia are bad, but mushrooms too? Should I take this thing out while I can? :D

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushrooms are easier to trim. Can they get large? yes. But not instantly, they are not going to spread uncontrollably like a xenia could too.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what other coral I can put on the rock with the hammer? I know they have sweepers but would a duncan be ok?

Also, thinking I will put the carbon media I bought in an empty aqua clear hob.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what other coral I can put on the rock with the hammer? I know they have sweepers but would a duncan be ok?

Also, thinking I will put the carbon media I bought in an empty aqua clear hob.

Most hammers and frog spawns can live adjacent to each other. The other common member, torches, can sometimes be rowdy and sting their kin.

OP
OP
Scott Ulrich

Scott Ulrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won a years supply of LRS reef frenzy (1 bag per month) in the LFS black Friday raffle :)

Attached picture of tank with my current coral placement. Wondering if anyone has suggestions on placement of coral and good options for other Corals tho add to the tank? They had a phosphorescent bubble-type mushroom that was cool and I might pick up :)

Numbered on picture:
1. Hammer
2. Gorgonian
3. Corky Fingers
4. Mushroom

Screenshot_2018-11-26-18-44-29~2.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back