40 Gallon Sump not fitting inside stand

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I'm trying to get a 90 gallon saltwater aquarium set up. I have the tank and stand, tank already has holes drilled. I purchased a 40 gallon tank to use as a sump. By my calculations, the length and width of the 40 gallon should have fit into the 90 gallon stand. Unfortunately the trim was not included in the aquarium's reported length and width so now the tank just barely doesn't fit. I want the tank inside the stand but idk how to do that without either sanding or removing the trim. Any thoughts?
Just for the record I do know I'd probably be fine with just like a 20 gallon sump or so, but I wanted to customize it to have a refugium in it (although lowkey I don't have any specific fish I have in mind that need a refugium), or possibly just a lot of material for biological filtration.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could just buy a 10 gallon tank and drill to use as a refugium and drain back into a 20 gallon sump. If it is possible you can file it down a bit but that trim is there for structural integrity so if you take it off you will need to euro brace the tank at least

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ran into the same situation. Before I set the main display tank on the stand, I lowered my sump through the opening at the top of the stand. A 40 gallon breeder with baffles. I’ll never get it out but it in

OP
OP
Triggerfish124

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could just buy a 10 gallon tank and drill to use as a refugium and drain back into a 20 gallon sump. If it is possible you can file it down a bit but that trim is there for structural integrity so if you take it off you will need to euro brace the tank at least
That could work. I do have a spare 10 gallon (although currently being used by an anole. In a few weeks will be moving him into an arboreal tank.) and a tank I think is around 25 gallons. I was thinking about possibly just upgrading my 20 gallon barb tank into the 40 gallon as well, in which I could have two 20 gallons for that same system you were talking about, but my mother wants me to take it back though so guess might just swap it out for a 20 gallon or go someplace else, my only other options were 20 gallons and 55 gallons.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or swap it for a 30" 30 gallon tank, mid way between the 2

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
breeder is longer while tall is well taller. Breeder tanks can more easily be sectioned off than taller tanks for breeding purposes (freshwater really)

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I'm trying to get a 90 gallon saltwater aquarium set up. I have the tank and stand, tank already has holes drilled. I purchased a 40 gallon tank to use as a sump. By my calculations, the length and width of the 40 gallon should have fit into the 90 gallon stand. Unfortunately the trim was not included in the aquarium's reported length and width so now the tank just barely doesn't fit. I want the tank inside the stand but idk how to do that without either sanding or removing the trim. Any thoughts?
Just for the record I do know I'd probably be fine with just like a 20 gallon sump or so, but I wanted to customize it to have a refugium in it (although lowkey I don't have any specific fish I have in mind that need a refugium), or possibly just a lot of material for biological
If the back panels are removable, have you thought about removing it, sticking a couple of 1x2s and then re-attaching it? That’s what I would do. In fact, that’s what I did. If it’s too high, you can remove the top and add a couple of sections of “one by” material with metal braces. Is the stand not deep enough or not high enough?

OP
OP
Triggerfish124

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
breeder is longer while tall is well taller. Breeder tanks can more easily be sectioned off than taller tanks for breeding purposes (freshwater really)
Ah so that was the long 40g version, rip. Guess I'm stuck with 30 gallons lol

OP
OP
Triggerfish124

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the back panels are removable, have you thought about removing it, sticking a couple of 1x2s and then re-attaching it? That’s what I would do. In fact, that’s what I did. If it’s too high, you can remove the top and add a couple of sections of “one by” material with metal braces. Is the stand not deep enough or not high enough?
Stands not wide enough, tried to install it by sliding it from holes in the top. The way the stand is built I think I would have to take it completely apart.

OP
OP
Triggerfish124

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stands not wide enough, tried to install it by sliding it from holes in the top. The way the stand is built I think I would have to take it completely apart.
Honestly I'm a noob with DIY. Built my first simple filter this week using one of the King of DIY's videos as a guide. Kind of found it addictive, now I want to build a canister filter cause I can't get my Hydor canister to stop leaking. Honestly not confident enough to take apart and rebuild an entire stand lol
Come to think of it maybe I should just make my own stand. Simple columns of cinderblocks, put some wood around it, no one would know.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to do major modifications on my stand. Basically dismantled the whole thing then added pieces for additional height and additional depth. It’s PITA, but you only have to do it once. Be methodical. Take pictures, maybe even write down everything you do. Piece of cake.

OP
OP
Triggerfish124

Triggerfish124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put up some pictures maybe I could help you.
Thanks but already put the 90 gallon back on it. We used it to hold some chicks while they got their feathers, not knowing how toxic their waste and pine chips can be. Hosed it, scrubbed it, cleaned it using industrial grade white vinegar, rinsed it well several times, and rn we're quarantining a comet goldfish in it rn to (a) make sure the tank is hospitable for fish and (b) to quarantine a friend for our 55 gallon goldfish tank that currently has 1 goldfish and 2 cory catfish inside.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but already put the 90 gallon back on it. We used it to hold some chicks while they got their feathers, not knowing how toxic their waste and pine chips can be. Hosed it, scrubbed it, cleaned it using industrial grade white vinegar, rinsed it well several times, and rn we're quarantining a comet goldfish in it rn to (a) make sure the tank is hospitable for fish and (b) to quarantine a friend for our 55 gallon goldfish tank that currently has 1 goldfish and 2 cory catfish inside.
Get your butt to a Home Depot and get some 60 grit sandpaper and get to work dude. Jk

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are going to glue in dividers, could you just take the plastic trim off? The dividers will reinforce the tank. Also if the bottom plastic trim, by itself, will fit inside stand, you could set the tank in it, re-Glueing it back on the tank? Same with the top trim. BTW, I have a 30 Gallon, and for some reason it is slightly longer than an Aqueon 30 gallon, as an Aqueon top will fall into the Aquarium. Had to get creative with the top. So maybe a different brand of tank?

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are going to glue in dividers, could you just take the plastic trim off? The dividers will reinforce the tank. Also if the bottom plastic trim, by itself, will fit inside stand, you could set the tank in it, re-Glueing it back on the tank? Same with the top trim. BTW, I have a 30 Gallon, and for some reason it is slightly longer than an Aqueon 30 gallon, as an Aqueon top will fall into the Aquarium. Had to get creative with the top. So maybe a different brand of tank?

It's my understanding that you could potentially de-rim the top of the 40b, but under no circumstances should you de-rim the bottom, as the water pressure will cause the silicone bond to break.

If we're talking about a few millimeters of space needed, I'd get out a chisel or sanding block and take it out of the stand.

Also, OP, can we get photos of the single Goldfish in the 90 gallon?

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think the Goldfish is a good test. When I was a Teen, Carp could be seen swimming in the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers. Signs all over the place, not to even put your little toe in the water. Also worked on boilers at sewage treatment plants, and there were goldfish and carp living in the various tanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back