4000 Gallon Pond Build

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting Fellow Reefers!

This is not a reef tank build, but I wanted to share with you another water world build that I have been working on for the past two years. I love all things water, I should have been born a fish. However, since God created me to be a biped, I have tried to stick pretty close to my love of water through many means. I joined the NAVY, lived near the ocean, and when I couldn't be near the ocean, I brought the water to me.

Two years ago I embarked on a project to build a nice pond ecosystem in my back yard at the home I was just completing. I wanted to be able to enjoy the sounds of water while I was resting on my back patio. Here is the progress in picture. Let me know what you think.
IMG_2349.JPG

Drawing out the borders.
IMG_2351.JPG

The Heavy Moving.
IMG_2357.JPG

How to grow a blister.
IMG_2359.JPG

Hole Complete.
IMG_2374.JPG

18 Feet across, 9 Feet wide, 3 feet deep in center
IMG_2376.JPG

Install Liner and wait for storm to fill pond up (Rained 3 inches over the next two days, filled pond completely full.)
IMG_2472.JPG

Install grass and slowly begin planting.

iReef86

Reefin' since 1998.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At first glance, I thought it was going to be the length of the house! I was like wholllyyyy molllllyyyyyyy!
Looks nice, what do you plan on stocking it with?

OP
OP
frogman_reefer

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2586.JPG
Next it was time to install pumps and filters (although I didn't take pictures of the plumbing).
IMG_2485.JPG

Start adding plants (this was my first of three water lilies, Papyrus, and a friendly little visitor (frog) of which we now have plenty!
IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

Planting changed a lot the first year, But that is to be expected. Just like building a reef, the layouts gonna change a lot the first year!
I built some benches out of stone.
IMG_2586.JPG

And planted the waterfall.
IMG_2651.JPG

Lets fast forward a year...
Lillies!
Lilly.jpg
Log and Lillies.jpg
purple lilly 2.jpg

OP
OP
frogman_reefer

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 turtles, some comet tails, 3 species of Koi and 2 goldfish thanks to my son.
I also had the Fish & Game stock it with some mosquito eating fish to help control that.

Plants, 3 tropical Lilies and 2 hardy varieties. and some oxygenators. Natural filtration is created by a 5500 GPH pump which turns over the water and keeps too much sediment off the bottom. Plants love this. I also have 2 3600 pumps running the waterfalls. I'm turning the water in my pond over about 3 times per hour.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup. I wish the wife would allow me to do something like this. She already thinks I have too many pets.

Funny...I'm hoping my wife doesn't see this, she's been pushing me to do something like this!!!

Frogman...absolutely beautiful.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pretend, real-life mermaid, but keep the "hot" comments to yourselves...it's my daughter!!!! Had to wait in line for this picture.

OP
OP
frogman_reefer

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup. I wish the wife would allow me to do something like this. She already thinks I have too many pets.
My wife wanted a "small pond" she freaked when she saw my plan. Now she loves it and the calming sound of the waterfalls. Even my neighbors comment how they enjoy it from thier porch.

OP
OP
frogman_reefer

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pretend, real-life mermaid, but keep the "hot" comments to yourselves...it's my daughter!!!! Had to wait in line for this picture.

Good Dads don't mind the line for our girls! My daughters a lot younger but still very precious to me too!
IMG_1519.JPG

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome job on your pond ,my wife used to keep a small one beside the house and keep it stocked beside the house but we have a raccoon problem ,they keep getting the fish!;)

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremiah,
Got to tell you, the photos of your water lilies were absolutely beautiful. Did you take them? If so, you've got a gift. Congrats on the pond, too - I'll bet it's wonderful to have in the backyard!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back