40g Breeder Build

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is my first post and hope to share some things I learned and get some ideas to help with the journey.

My current tank is 120g mix reef that I have been running for 5 years. I have had my up and downs and have learned allot over the years. I have 70 different corals in my current mix reef tank and want to start doing some light fragging as things become over grown with hopes to sell/trade to be able to support larger SPS build. I purchased most of my corals from Vivid Aquariums, Golden State Corals, WWC, reefapoloza and BigRcorals. I have lots of designer pieces that pop under the actinic lighting.
tank1.jpg

I started the 40g breeder build with a tank from PetCo during the dollar per gallon sale. Then got a utility rack from home depot that the tank fits snug, ( I stole this idea from a fresh water breeder who stacks the 40g breeders with these racks). I then drilled the tank to be able to run the Eshopps Eclispe M Overflow Box (800 GPH). I was going to use a 40g breeder for the sump but splurged on trigger systems 36 inch Triton sump (this jump cost by $250). I ordered a new skimmer and choose the Red Sea RSK 300. The return pump is a sicce 3.0 700 gallon per hour pump.
overflow.jpg

Skimmer.jpg

I went with AI prime lights base d on BRS reports on spread. The AI prime covers 18x18 and 2 should cover the breeder well. I also plan on running refugium and went with a kessil H80 to power the cheato. The heater is 100W Ehiem jager heater. The ATO is a custom toms aqua lifter pump with spliced float switch.
AIprime.jpg

I order fancy frag rack from build your obsessions and 6 racks will fit snug in tanks foot print. Each rack holds 100+ frags and has such a clean look. I plan on using this tank for manly zoas and hope the light will be strong enough for depth of the tank.
fragrack.jpg

The plan was to build a tank for under $1k but after everything said and done was closer to $1500 but will be great tank and hop this will help support my reefing habit, ><!

Cheers
Forshurley

Dodgersallday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though it’s not drilled, it’s way easier to dial in and control the level than a Red Sea skimmer. Yes, the controls on the Red Sea skimmer are simple, but the bubbles are so large at the top that it’s hard to tell where it’s base line is.

OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 35g sump and 40g tank so estimate 75g so it is slightly over rated. I think the sump is to deep for the skimmer so I set it on 2 brightwell bio bricks and still getting foam. The water level now is in the height of valve of the Red Sea skimmer after raising 4inches and still foams like crazy.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back