OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been a long time since I even thought of posting in the build thread...because unfortunately the tank was on the back burner for the longest time. Lost the few zoas I had and my mushroom detached from the frag plug and moved into the back, dark corner under a rock. No fish issues during this time but had the beginning of GHA.

Over the few months I was able to really focus on the tank. I completely reworked the filtration- starting with ditching the disintingerating, detritus and bristleworm filled marinepure blocks. These came with the tank and I had them stuff in the back AIO compartments. I had no mechanical filtration so all the detritus got trapped in the blocks. They were unsalvagavle and literally full of very large bristleworms. I decided to go with Intank Media baskets in both overflow chambers- filter floss on top, followed up Seachem Pond Matrix and a few small chunks of the best Marinepure, and a bag of carbon in one and GFO in the other.

I found a great deal on practically new XR 15 Pro and RMS mount to upgrade the lighting. Wow the difference compared to the old JBJ light. Purchased a new Tunze 9004 DC skimmer. The adjustment controller makes it so much easier to dial in, and it fits perfectly in the one overflow chamber.

Upgraded to an Icecap Gyre 1k and am really happy with the increased flow. The final major equipment upgrade should arrive tomorrow- Tunze 1073.05 DC return pump.

I realized my sandbed and Rocks were full of detritus. I started using the turkey baster to clean off the rocks, and started to stir up and vacuum the sandbed. Overall my parameters aren’t perfect but they’re the best they’ve ever been in this tank- nitrates at approx 10, PO4 .049.

I figured it was getting to be time to look at my stocking plan. The five damsels in there I know I’d have to rehome if I wanted to add any additional fish. They didn’t make it easy to catch them- had to disassemble the entire rock formation. Used it as an opportunity to rinse off the detritus from the rocks in a bucket of tank water. When putting everything back together I decided to remove some excess rock in order to eliminate some dead spots and detritus traps. Really liking the look of the tank without them.

Took the damsels to the LFS and picked up a Lawnmower Blenny and Diamond Goby. The blenny is settling right in- eating algae already. The diamon goby I haven’t seen since the night he was added to the tank. I’m hoping he’s just shy and hiding and didn’t die under the rock. I don’t think he jumped out as the screen lid is pretty secure. Just in case I added some extra protections.

So overall this is the most pleased I’ve been with this tank, ever. I plan on adding some more fish- specifically wrasses. Hoping for some good Black Friday deals on some softies and maybe some tolerant LPS. Still have a way to go but I’m optimistic.

D629FEA0-E2CB-41B2-8404-CD6F33C5A9BC.jpeg

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s been a few days and still no sign of the Goby in the tank. I use a turkey baster to clear off the rocks and stir the substrate once a week. He didn’t come out then nor did I see any signs of his body. Thinking he must have jumped out- although I honestly don’t see how. His head was bigger than the netting and the only gap was smaller than him. Him jumping out though is the only thing I can think of though. I searched high and low on the floor, under furniture, everywhere. Didn’t find him. So he’s either a master of disguise or he jumped and I haven’t found where he ended up. Regardless I’m calling him a loss, unfortunately. I do plan on getting another eventually.

My Tunze 1073.05 came the other day- going to be getting it all setup this weekend, if time permits. Worked on some cord management under the tank this afternoon. It was pretty scary under there. Got all the controllers mounted on the door for easy access.

And in more exciting news- went to an LFS today to check out their selection. They had just received an order of clowns from Sustainable Aquatics. The bags were just being placed in tanks to temperature acclimate. I ended up coming home with two Ocellaris clowns. Best part is they never touched the LFS’ s water- took them home in the bag from Sustainable Aquatics. And, the LFS gave me a 20% discount for purchasing them in the bag.

CD1F17DB-AEA5-4E94-B1EE-107DBE2C3008.jpeg

98BE0374-EC1C-4457-8666-52D6529166B5.jpeg

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I love all the upgrades. Any more pics? Don’t call the goby a loss yet. They can be masters of disguise and hide in rocks or in the sand for weeks. There is also a chance he died in there, so keep an eye on your parameters. If you don’t see him outside of the tank, he’s probably still in there. Have you checked the back compartment/sump?

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! I love all the upgrades. Any more pics? Don’t call the goby a loss yet. They can be masters of disguise and hide in rocks or in the sand for weeks. There is also a chance he died in there, so keep an eye on your parameters. If you don’t see him outside of the tank, he’s probably still in there. Have you checked the back compartment/sump?

Thank you! It’s coming along nicely. Didn’t get a chance to install the new return pump this weekend, but it is on the list. I was holding out a little hope for the goby, but still absolutely no sign of him. If he is still there he is definitely a master of disguise. So far no parameter swings either. I went to another LFS today and they had several diamond gobies but I held off, just in case. Stock is still relatively light with three fish compared to the six damsels before (who were pigs with the food). But I think the biological filtration will be okay for a while.

The clowns still haven’t seemed to settle down yet. They didn’t eat and kept “pacing” the glass back and forth, up and down. I’ve been trying LRS Nano, Brine Shrimp, and soaked NLS pellets. So far this evening one took a few bites of brine and a soaked pellet. The other wasn’t interested yet. I read it can take them a few days to settle in, so I’m hoping I can chalk their behavior up to that. The Lawnmower blenny is loving life with all my algae. He is the fattest thing and I can already tell he has grown. He has started exploring the entire tank and even swimming in the water column. He doesn’t seem phased by me at the tank at all. He’s quickly becoming my favorite!

Some side shots and a FTS. Need to either turn the blues down or get a lens to take pictures.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s coming along nicely. Didn’t get a chance to install the new return pump this weekend, but it is on the list. I was holding out a little hope for the goby, but still absolutely no sign of him. If he is still there he is definitely a master of disguise. So far no parameter swings either. I went to another LFS today and they had several diamond gobies but I held off, just in case. Stock is still relatively light with three fish compared to the six damsels before (who were pigs with the food). But I think the biological filtration will be okay for a while.

The clowns still haven’t seemed to settle down yet. They didn’t eat and kept “pacing” the glass back and forth, up and down. I’ve been trying LRS Nano, Brine Shrimp, and soaked NLS pellets. So far this evening one took a few bites of brine and a soaked pellet. The other wasn’t interested yet. I read it can take them a few days to settle in, so I’m hoping I can chalk their behavior up to that. The Lawnmower blenny is loving life with all my algae. He is the fattest thing and I can already tell he has grown. He has started exploring the entire tank and even swimming in the water column. He doesn’t seem phased by me at the tank at all. He’s quickly becoming my favorite!

Some side shots and a FTS. Need to either turn the blues down or get a lens to take pictures.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Clowns can take awhile to settle in, so I wouldn’t worry too much. Do you know what they were eating before you got them? I know you got them straight from the bag, but the wholesaler may have what they feed on their website. Don’t give up on the goby yet. Mine hid for weeks at a a time when I was trying to catch him, so they can hide very well. I love the photos, and the tank is looking nice!

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s been a very slow work in progress but I am happy so far with how my changes are coming along. I will post a coral update here soon too.

From what I can tell they have their own blend of pellets and frozen foods. Good news today- the one clown ate a few pellets without hesitation. The other I would still describe as restless and quickly swims right past the food. He may have gotten one pellet though. Going to try some LRS nano tonight. Trying to feed little bits at a time, but I will have to check my parameters frequently.

Crazy your goby hid for so long. I’ll keep my eye out for him. I really should buy a camera to put on the tank, check up on the fish during the day.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It’s been a very slow work in progress but I am happy so far with how my changes are coming along. I will post a coral update here soon too.

From what I can tell they have their own blend of pellets and frozen foods. Good news today- the one clown ate a few pellets without hesitation. The other I would still describe as restless and quickly swims right past the food. He may have gotten one pellet though. Going to try some LRS nano tonight. Trying to feed little bits at a time, but I will have to check my parameters frequently.

Crazy your goby hid for so long. I’ll keep my eye out for him. I really should buy a camera to put on the tank, check up on the fish during the day.
Yeah, the camera isn’t a bad idea. Gobies can be very skittish. Just keep an eye out.

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated on the tank. I never did find the Diamond Goby, so I am sure he must have jumped ship. Unfortunate, but lesson learned. I thought the small gap around the edges of my screen top was too small for anything to pass through, but I was clearly wrong. I want to build a better screen, but for now I used some spare screen tubing, measured, cut and stamped out a shape that fits square in the small gap and glued it down. So hopefully no more jumpers.

I readdressed my rock work as it wasn't as stable as I wanted it to be. I used Aquastix and JBJ water weld to secure some of the more preacriously placed rocks. I drilled and used fiberglass rods to secure the larger pieces, but didn't do the smaller rocks on the right. Looking back I wish I would have taken the time to drill them as well. The epoxy worked well for some and not so well for others. It appears though that what I was able to attached bonded decently well-although the skimmer was not happy about it.

I took advantage of an LFS black Friday deal on $5 frags and buy one, get one half off of fish. Picked up 17 frags in total. ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest, Mystic Sunset Montipora, another monti I can't recall the name of, Incredible Hulk Leptoseris, Jack O' Lantern Leptoseris, five large Zoa frags, hammer, Xenia, GSP, orange Leptastrea, mottled war coral, an orange digitata, and a platygyra. Great deal that I couldn't pass up. The only other coral I am specifically looking to add is a Duncan. I am also looking for a BTA. I know it can be hazardous given their tendency to move around, but I would like to see if my clowns would host.

I took advantage of the BOGO half off and added a Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse and Yellow Coris Wrasse. Unfortuatnely the Yellow Coris didn't make it. No signs of disease or injury on him. He hid the first three days and I didn't see him at all. Came home today to find him on the sandbed. Hope to get another one soon, they are one my favorites. The Whip Fin is doing great so far- eating like a pig and accepting pellets and frozen. I know filamentosus are one of the most aggressive Cirrhilabrus wrasses, but my stock is pretty rounded out and I don't think I have room for another fairy regardless.

Testing parameters on Monday to find my alk and calcium very low- 6.4dKh and calcium 370. I've never had to dose before as regular water changes have sustained decent levels. Thanks to the patient advise of a reefing friend I decided to go with the Red Sea Foundations to start dosing to get my alk and calcium back to acceptable levels. Goals for next update are to figure out the plumbing requiremtns for the Tunze 1073.05- my current tubing is too small, and I need to order a Y fitting. Looking for another Coris wrasse and Diamond Goby if I can find them, and a potential BTA.

Some pictures- a lens kit is on a Christmas list to take some better pictures!

453D9F44-3BDC-4188-A9E7-66E436273DCE.jpeg
B3876DE8-BD6F-40AF-AE76-761258EE759A.jpeg
0EE55155-AE1E-4DBD-8BB8-E7085CACEC77.jpeg
C0F0006B-32E1-4F29-BD28-A465A8F97AF9.jpeg
25907CA4-1E1E-440B-B859-C4C1AF5F12BC.jpeg
053A9AED-8852-4C00-8737-892E319C2611.jpeg
33ECD0E0-DF5C-429F-95AF-D8A3AE0F7FF7.jpeg
83AA2A7B-9159-4D14-85F7-185ADF4357FD.jpeg
C6950DF6-A463-4151-8EDB-C47845EBA013.jpeg
F5BADD21-3323-4FB3-8FC5-A46B483F5551.jpeg
43792E97-1A45-423D-90FC-A690392D06A8.jpeg
D1D62640-A3CD-4F3C-B0D0-7D6846F1CE04.jpeg
3D70D7D9-B6C0-4F74-89D4-A01C1F664DB0.jpeg
2B68F301-ED59-45B6-A74D-CC1DE5378203.jpeg

And saw this today...got pods!

Last edited:

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've updated on the tank. I never did find the Diamond Goby, so I am sure he must have jumped ship. Unfortunate, but lesson learned. I thought the small gap around the edges of my screen top was too small for anything to pass through, but I was clearly wrong. I want to build a better screen, but for now I used some spare screen tubing, measured, cut and stamped out a shape that fits square in the small gap and glued it down. So hopefully no more jumpers.

I readdressed my rock work as it wasn't as stable as I wanted it to be. I used Aquastix and JBJ water weld to secure some of the more preacriously placed rocks. I drilled and used fiberglass rods to secure the larger pieces, but didn't do the smaller rocks on the right. Looking back I wish I would have taken the time to drill them as well. The epoxy worked well for some and not so well for others. It appears though that what I was able to attached bonded decently well-although the skimmer was not happy about it.

I took advantage of an LFS black Friday deal on $5 frags and buy one, get one half off of fish. Picked up 17 frags in total. ORA Hyacinth Birdsnest, Mystic Sunset Montipora, another monti I can't recall the name of, Incredible Hulk Leptoseris, Jack O' Lantern Leptoseris, five large Zoa frags, hammer, Xenia, GSP, orange Leptastrea, mottled war coral, an orange digitata, and a platygyra. Great deal that I couldn't pass up. The only other coral I am specifically looking to add is a Duncan. I am also looking for a BTA. I know it can be hazardous given their tendency to move around, but I would like to see if my clowns would host.

I took advantage of the BOGO half off and added a Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse and Yellow Coris Wrasse. Unfortuatnely the Yellow Coris didn't make it. No signs of disease or injury on him. He hid the first three days and I didn't see him at all. Came home today to find him on the sandbed. Hope to get another one soon, they are one my favorites. The Whip Fin is doing great so far- eating like a pig and accepting pellets and frozen. I know filamentosus are one of the most aggressive Cirrhilabrus wrasses, but my stock is pretty rounded out and I don't think I have room for another fairy regardless.

Testing parameters on Monday to find my alk and calcium very low- 6.4dKh and calcium 370. I've never had to dose before as regular water changes have sustained decent levels. Thanks to the patient advise of a reefing friend I decided to go with the Red Sea Foundations to start dosing to get my alk and calcium back to acceptable levels. Goals for next update are to figure out the plumbing requiremtns for the Tunze 1073.05- my current tubing is too small, and I need to order a Y fitting. Looking for another Coris wrasse and Diamond Goby if I can find them, and a potential BTA.

YAY! You got a big load, and they’re all very nice! I hate that about the goby and wrasse. I know it can be really hard losing fish, so I hope you can get some new ones without much trouble. The tank is looking really nice!

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY! You got a big load, and they’re all very nice! I hate that about the goby and wrasse. I know it can be really hard losing fish, so I hope you can get some new ones without much trouble. The tank is looking really nice!

Thank you! The deal was incredible and I couldn’t pass it up. Figured it there ever was a time to buy some coral, this was it.

I know, I hate losing them. Not sure what happened with the wrasse. He looked fine and had no marks or signs of illness that I could see. Going to see what they have in stock and hopefully add them soon.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That rockwork is super cool!

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That rockwork is super cool!

Thank you! I’ve made some slight changes since the initial design but I’m liking it. Realized I haven’t updated with any new pictures with my new coral lens! Can see a little better with these, haha.

Planning on a more detailed update soon!

AB949592-DB1D-4447-AEE4-8D06708660F0.jpeg

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty terrible at one, keeping up with posting online, and two- updating my build thread. Although it is cool to look back and see some old pictures of the tank. You don’t realize how much stuff has grown or changed over time until you see how things used to look. A lot has changed, but a lot has stayed the same since my last post. Tank is still moving along, same core equipment. Was finally able to get and keep my Yellow Coris Wrasse and Diamond Goby, plus the two clowns are the same. It will be a year with the clowns sometime this November. Lost a few corals and gained a few.

Installed a dosing pump for alk and calcium to keep things stable and easier. Got my first SPS this past summer, doing okay so far. Still working to reduce nitrates, which I think might be hindering my SPS growth. Running Nitrate between 15-25, PO4 0.018. Thinking of installing an algae scrubber or maybe a biopellet reactor. Also contemplating a carbon/GFO reactor. Space is limited in an AIO so I’m weighing my options.

Overall I’m happy with the tank progress. Ordered a bunch of supplies from BRS during the sale, stocked up on DI resin, bought a new screen top and a Neat Aquatics feed port. Installed that today, much nicer look than my previous lid that was falling apart. Trying to identify next steps to improve the tank and simplify maintenance. A new RODI unit is on the list, as my source water is very high in TDS and after the RO membrane is putting out 50 TDS. Thus I’m burning through DI resin quick. Building a mixing station is the priority for this fall- tired of lugging and spilling all those five gallon buckets. Tank will definitely give me some projects and I’m looking forward to it.

Finally able to take some updated pictures. The goby likes to rearrange the sand to his own specifications.

FCEEFA3D-D49E-4C53-8345-324D74C5ACF5.jpeg
3DF15CBA-CBFE-476A-B266-52F38F2A55A3.jpeg
69012B99-2000-466C-87AF-FA6BC7750B42.jpeg
A2BD5E13-25EB-440A-B63A-F6D67A8BA87B.jpeg
2009D2E5-08E0-43BC-B90E-FF1C3D8354C2.jpeg
C5FF54DD-D714-43F9-9029-0A9453A62B13.jpeg
8D42CF17-BB95-40ED-9CEB-E09F46B6EE16.jpeg
B346AEC9-255E-4A50-8DA9-97EAC70C1A8D.jpeg
8CEC1090-A054-4780-B4A0-9627C3137BFF.jpeg
5B65EDEA-5C97-44C2-B25E-24F1516EA4FE.jpeg
6DF4B85B-9E50-4E91-B8BC-6472C298117B.jpeg
DE38F8E6-E990-4C9A-82A9-44E63CA2B36B.jpeg
B780FB09-F01D-4D21-94F7-070935C1F030.jpeg
FBCF5587-547C-4BE8-9ABB-B5BC419A6710.jpeg
5788AE7F-CA6F-4A84-ADF7-8E7A064C2A2E.jpeg

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up some great frags on Black Friday. LFS ran their $5 frag sale and had up to 75% off Acros. Well worth the socially distanced wait outside. I actually went up Saturday and they restocked overnight and still had a great selection.

Was able to get a Jason Fox Solar Flare & Fox Flame, Red Planet, three unnamed acros, a Duncan, goniopora, tubs stellata, and two unnamed montis. Trying to ID the acros. The bright green one might be a green goblin? For the montis thinking montipora undata or something similar?

Going to let them acclimate on the sandbed and then get ready to mount them- and remove some of that Xenia that’s taking over.

D6BDFD6D-FD86-4C55-B9A3-9554903E92A7.jpeg
D022FAE8-FACE-4FD1-B951-150E24D5A8C2.jpeg
7002FF71-1E89-43E8-92C4-16F8C541D2F5.jpeg
568DD6BC-93F9-411E-9A10-170AC37DC971.jpeg
199AD948-BA84-4CA0-99B8-84B7522C239B.jpeg
CAD1BDF9-B202-4BC6-99C4-EC84E26DFB93.jpeg
BAE9C385-5B5F-4599-A969-AC391BD2A1D1.jpeg

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any updates? Beautiful tank & corals!

OP
OP
BirdGuy21

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Beautiful tank & corals!

Thanks! Tank is still moving along. I lost the Tubs Stellata and Fox Flame, unfortunately. I think I narrowed it down to insufficient lighting- couldn't get them mounted in a place that didn't have severe shadowing on one side and sufficient flow. Everything else in the tank is doing well though. The WWC Yellow tips has grown two or three larger branches and is getting big. Green Slimmer is encrusting and my Red Monti cap that I thought I lost months ago is starting to come back. I glued it onto the back wall and I thought it had completely died- I don't think there was even a single polyp left on it. I left it in the tank mainly due to the fact that it was on the back wall and was unobtrusive. I'm glad I did though! Its regained tissue on about 1/4 of the frag. I moved the one Hammer down to the lower rock as it was starting to sting my Duncan. It's across the gap from the Frammer and is doing well. I actually really like how they touch and flow together. The Xenia is still taking over but I am leaving it for now- big plans in the works!

All the livestock and coral in this tank are getting an upgrade! My SCA 150 was delivered last week and I have been slowly preparing for the build. I will be happy to get these guys more space. My Yellow Coris is very active and I can tell he is starting to feel cramped. Plus, I am basically out of room for coral. Definitely no more space left for any more Euphyllia nor SPS. I have been meaning to update this thread and start a new build thread for the 150, but have been holding off on the latter until I have some pictures to share. Since a lot of equipment has come in from BRS this week with more on the way, I think it's about time!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back