55 Gallon Reef Tank Stocking

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 55 gallon reef tank up and running for about a year and a half (with no problems what so ever). It does not have a sump, just a HOB protein slimmer and filter. It has about 60lbs of live rock and a 3-4 inch sand bed (about 6-7 inches where the diamond goby lives lol). I’m running the 3 watt Current dual LED lights and a bubble magnus protein skimmer and a whisper EX70 filter.

I just added the last fish I’ll add to it yesterday so here is my stocking list:

Fish:
Clownfish Pair
Diamond Goby
Sixline wrasse (been super peaceful so far)
Aptasia eating filefish
Target Mandarin (eats frozen food)
Bicolor blenny
Small yellow tang (will be moved to a 150 gallon or larger within another 6-8 months)

Inverts:
Skunk cleaner Shrimp
Feather duster worm
Emerald crab

CUC:
8-10 snails
6-8 hermit crabs
1 conch snail

Coral:
Hollywood Stunner chalice
Misc Zoas/Palys
Red monticap
Green monticap
A huge beautiful Elegance
Purple rhino hammer
Torch coral
Duncan
Blastomussa colony
GSP
Pulsing Xenia
And a chalice frag that I have not identified yet haha!

Please put your opinions on anything I have said, I’d love to hear them! I could use any other point of views! I’d also love to add some interesting inverts or clean up crew members so if you all have any ideas please let me know. Thank everyone!

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pictures? Sounds like a nice setup to me. I know people hate on Current brand of lights but I used them and they did good with most corals.

Some interesting inverts that come to mind: Arrow crab, decorator crab, several peppermint shrimps or a cleaner shrimp (I used to have 3 peppermints, very cool to watch when they showed themselves.), urchins can be quite interesting as well. Make sure you glue down frags. Tuxedo stay small getting only a few inches, pincushions can get much bigger but have just as much personality. I would avoid a long-spine in a 55g, they get basketball size and that won't work well in a 55. Urchins might need to be spot fed after the tank is out of algae but no big deal. Just rubber-band nori or algae to a rock, drop in tank after lights off and pick up clean rock in morning. I just use a little bit of rubble to sink the algae for my urchins.

You could check out a hob refugium if your interested for the mandarin. I've seen pictures of tiny, dinky little things you put on the side with a tiny bit of algae. I know you said it eats frozen but it might enjoy some fresh pods every now and again too. If put on the side of the tank it could be an interesting little part of the tank too.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Reef! You gotta show that tank! Were you interested in adding anything in particular?

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got any pictures? Sounds like a nice setup to me. I know people hate on Current brand of lights but I used them and they did good with most corals.

Some interesting inverts that come to mind: Arrow crab, decorator crab, several peppermint shrimps or a cleaner shrimp (I used to have 3 peppermints, very cool to watch when they showed themselves.), urchins can be quite interesting as well. Make sure you glue down frags. Tuxedo stay small getting only a few inches, pincushions can get much bigger but have just as much personality. I would avoid a long-spine in a 55g, they get basketball size and that won't work well in a 55. Urchins might need to be spot fed after the tank is out of algae but no big deal. Just rubber-band nori or algae to a rock, drop in tank after lights off and pick up clean rock in morning. I just use a little bit of rubble to sink the algae for my urchins.

You could check out a hob refugium if your interested for the mandarin. I've seen pictures of tiny, dinky little things you put on the side with a tiny bit of algae. I know you said it eats frozen but it might enjoy some fresh pods every now and again too. If put on the side of the tank it could be an interesting little part of the tank too.
I would love an arrow or decorator crab just not sure how good they’d do in my tank. They get pretty big don’t they? I used to have a blue tuxedo urchin who got the name “timber” because he’d knock all my frags over! Haha! But that was when I was just starting to buy frags and most of them have grown on to the rocks so I might look into that again! I haven’t even thought about a HOB refugium but that sounds awesome. Thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate it! I’m working on posting pictures now.

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
04E63AE6-BD95-4EA4-92E9-8C7399A5E5D8.jpeg
163AE595-8D3F-452D-B81C-79939787D922.jpeg
C1A124C4-733C-4045-9B90-18476CD66B41.jpeg
C58E7882-755B-448F-8F07-BBB1BFDD3FAF.jpeg
04E63AE6-BD95-4EA4-92E9-8C7399A5E5D8.jpeg
163AE595-8D3F-452D-B81C-79939787D922.jpeg
C1A124C4-733C-4045-9B90-18476CD66B41.jpeg
C58E7882-755B-448F-8F07-BBB1BFDD3FAF.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an arrow crab for awhile. Died for no apparent reason. It was quite a character. Stole food from the corals, but didn't seem to do any damage. Awesome tank by the way. I love your scape!

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an arrow crab for awhile. Died for no apparent reason. It was quite a character. Stole food from the corals, but didn't seem to do any damage. Awesome tank by the way. I love your scape!
Thank you! I might have to give one a shot.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would do great in a 55 IMO. I am wanting to get one for my 40b frag tank. I hear they can take food from corals but otherwise leave corals alone unless they start to die. Same with fish. Tend to only pick on fish that are on their way out. Have a buddy with one, one of my favorite things in his tank for sure!

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would do great in a 55 IMO. I am wanting to get one for my 40b frag tank. I hear they can take food from corals but otherwise leave corals alone unless they start to die. Same with fish. Tend to only pick on fish that are on their way out. Have a buddy with one, one of my favorite things in his tank for sure!
Great! Thank you!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back