55g sump baffles or not

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saltgator
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2011
Messages
3,488
Reaction score
142
Location
SouthWest FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building my standard 55 gallon sump and haven't completely decided if I want a baffled sump or a sump without baffles. Any thoughts on what is preferred? Btw, my current 29g sump is without baffles. Thanks

Country boy using tapatalk on Evo 4g
 
I think at least one for the water level to your skimmer. If the skimmer is ext then no, really no need for them.
 
I might just try a DIY kinda sump. Never put baffles in my current sump, but to get the water level in the area my skimmer works best, I just took an old bucket and cut it at the level needed. This allowed me a more ''open flow sump'' for circulation of any suspended debris. Any thoughts or anyone else trying this??
 
The only thing I would be concerned with would be the bubbles.
 
hi saltgator im thinking of taken my excisting 55 and seting it up as a sump and refugium (sorry for the spelling) for my new 65 its all in my head right now have to get on paper also thinking about DSB so ill be following along
 
Thanks bluwinghawk. I'll keep ya in mind if I do baffles.

Country boy using tapatalk on Evo 4g
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new