55g uneven stand fix?

Mattisbogus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a used 55g aquarium and stand. I love this older-style stand, and the tank is rimmed. However, on one corner of the stand, the weld was uneven (see photos).

My question is does anyone know if I applied layers of the original JB weld to this corner and slowly build it up and then sanded/ground it flush would this be able to support the 600-700 lbs from the aquarium and accessories?

A decent hardwood/plywood in my area is REALLY expensive right now, nearly the cost of another stand similar to this. I've also researched for rimmed tanks foam padding is a no no. So I would prefer to make this corner strong and flush and put the tank directly onto the stand. Any thoughts? I appreciate your time!

Matt

IMG_0228.jpg IMG_0229.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R! Interesting question about how to support #glass tanks. I have had plenty of metal stands over the years (from 10g to 150g) and unfortunately this isn't unusual. Lets see what input we get from the community.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the JB Weld idea, but what I'd do is slap down this epoxy slightly more then I need and then simply put the plywood on top, smashing out any excess. Either clamp down the plywood or put the empty tank on top.

OP
OP
M

Mattisbogus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Redfish thank you, I do like the outcome, and I feel much better now about using this stand. What do you all think? isn't 100% perfect, but at least I think it's functional and should offer enough support, at least I hope.

I appreciate everyone taking their time to try and help me!

Attachments

• IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 55

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mattisbogus great work on the corner of that stand.

your question of can it handle 600 to 700 lbs? Was that stand build to be an aquarium stand? Cant really see the rest of the stand in the pictures shared. Only reason... the legs look small. Almost like ones you would see with outdoor furniture. if so, might not work with an aquarium. but really hard to tell with these pictures.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, very observant @Joe Glass Cages . You did make me go out and look at my 55 gallon steel stand.

55 Gallon Stand.jpg

I also realize there are most likely 100 different designs, but my legs are angle iron welded to the outside of the top frame.

The stand in question looks to be flat steel on the front leg and maybe cylindrical steel on the back leg...hard to tell???

55 stand or NOT.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mattisbogus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it. Was this originally built as a stand for an aquarium?
I’ll be honest Joe I don’t know. I picked up the aquarium and stand together from Facebook market place.

I really like the stand. It looks older and unique, but if I am being honest even after the repair I am worried about the stand holding that much water. I do believe it is an aquarium stand. It’s extremely strong but even after my repair its not “true” and I am worried something will happen. I have a new stand coming in tomorrow it’s a similar style Black Scroll stand. What I think I will do is just give my old stand a sanding and coat of paint and sell as a piece of furniture on market place. It would make a beautiful sofa/entry table.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest Joe I don’t know. I picked up the aquarium and stand together from Facebook market place.

I really like the stand. It looks older and unique, but if I am being honest even after the repair I am worried about the stand holding that much water. I do believe it is an aquarium stand. It’s extremely strong but even after my repair its not “true” and I am worried something will happen. I have a new stand coming in tomorrow it’s a similar style Black Scroll stand. What I think I will do is just give my old stand a sanding and coat of paint and sell as a piece of furniture on market place. It would make a beautiful sofa/entry table.
I agree with you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back