OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom plate of the dosing chamber posed a couple challenges. First issue was the invividual plates did not all stop at the same point, so I sanded all of the plates down level with each other. This was done with a thick sheet of glass with sandpaper attached to the top. Once level it was ready to weld. Almost. As the center baffles are not able to be welded by dripping from the edge, I had to get creative. I ended up holding it at an angle with a gap between the box and the bottom plate and allowing it to flow downhill from one side to the other. Then the outside edges could be welded per usual. This picture was seconds after the weld and while everything still looks good ;) we will see how it turns out
IMG_20211212_155735.jpg

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welding on the bottom worked better than the welding of the baffles lol I need to let the solvent work a bit longer before crushing everything together. That is definitely the tough part of working with acrylic is not rushing haha. I will give this a routering when I get a normal weekend, and need to make some lids for it yet. Given where it sits, there is no room above it for a hinged lid, so I may end up overcomplicating that detail too lol

In other news I finally ordered the glass, glass cages will be building the tank and I will be drilling it. Terrifying, but I could hardly stomach the cost of the tank and shipping, so I will drill :)

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I don't think I have posted a pic of my current tank, here it is! IM20g. You will see a stark contrast between what I have now and what I intend to upgrade into haha. This is probably my 4th or 5th year of reefing and feel confident that I have taken into account all undesirable features of my current setup and accounted for them.
IMG_20220102_190913.jpg
IMG_20220102_190547.jpg

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SVP if you hadn't traded me this equipment, I wouldn't be in this mess lol! Hope the Orpheks are treating your coral right :)
Just saw this for the first time. Very impressive I now know how you were able to do everything you did in regards to fixing that broken eb832 of mine. Lol. With regards to your orpheks I got bad news I had a electrical fire in the house and lost everything I own. They were sitting brand new in the box still. Suks bro. I did manage to save those 2 signatures on the one box if you'd like them back just lmk. Lolol. Not worth much but hey maybe your a bigger brs fan than I am.‍♂️

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SVP holy **** dude, I'm really sorry to hear that, let me know if you need some low end coral to get you running again! I hope everyone is safe and healthy, I can't imagine going through that. How is the rebuild coming along?

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass was picked up from the local shipping depot today! I had to delay delivery by a while because I purchased a home and needed to do a lot of work before we were ready to move anything over. Between working 55-60hrs a week and working on the home, time for aquariums is very low. Lots more to do on the home, and work will be crazy for another couple months, so this will probably be the status for a while. I AM SOOOOO EXCITED TO WORK ON IT BUT CANT LOL
IMG_20220405_183209.jpg
IMG_20220405_183156.jpg
IMG_20220405_183148.jpg
IMG_20220405_183131.jpg

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass was picked up from the local shipping depot today! I had to delay delivery by a while because I purchased a home and needed to do a lot of work before we were ready to move anything over. Between working 55-60hrs a week and working on the home, time for aquariums is very low. Lots more to do on the home, and work will be crazy for another couple months, so this will probably be the status for a while. I AM SOOOOO EXCITED TO WORK ON IT BUT CANT LOL
IMG_20220405_183209.jpg
IMG_20220405_183156.jpg
IMG_20220405_183148.jpg
IMG_20220405_183131.jpg
Looks totally amazing @MadeForThat

Loving the process!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages gotta get my leveling mat on the PE board before filling! Intend to get the thing drilled in a few weekends, and then finalize plumbing before water gets anywhere near it. Quite pleased with the rimless look and the bottom supports, I have a lot of confidence that this tank will last me many years. Very excited to start scaping!

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages gotta get my leveling mat on the PE board before filling! Intend to get the thing drilled in a few weekends, and then finalize plumbing before water gets anywhere near it. Quite pleased with the rimless look and the bottom supports, I have a lot of confidence that this tank will last me many years. Very excited to start scaping!
Excited to see your masterpiece come to life :)

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp I would love to say water coming soon, but that would be a lie. I gutted my basement wood paneling to start repairing my electrical (no grounds) as well as to update. I am a bit too chicken crap to fill the tank on my main floor that is mostly finished, I don't want to potentially risk my flooring. Seeing as contracting is not an option for me, all of this work will take a hot minute for me to rewire and refinish my basement.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also an update to address a few commercial offerings with similar concepts to what I have here:
-

Looks like a slide out sump in it's infancy, they have a lot of hurtles to complete before it will be a convenient system. I suspect before long a lot of what I have uncovered with this unit will be discovered by this company independently. Pretty excited to see, crossing my fingers that they intend to develop this further!
-
While the current product is simply a board on slides, soon enough they will see the "festoon cable light" and all of the benefits that come with it. The concept of a mounting controllers along with the sump eliminates the complexity of having allllllll of your device wires and dosing tubes moving. I suspect red sea will roll out a similar concept of slide out sump and controller wall in the near future. In my opinion it would be considered a feature of the highest levels of luxury ;) something that any aquarium manufacturer would aspire to provide their customers.

I am not in ownership of any patents surrounding this design, and any developments I have made are shown in one way or another somewhere in this build. I do not censor my pictures in the hope that someone can take these (in hindsight simple) solutions and make something even better. I hope some people are able to use my large investment of design time. Lord knows I won't be able for a while.....

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I honestly thought of you right when I saw their version. I feel like you have some entitlement here. Just saying

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220731_155835.jpg
IMG_20220731_155825.jpg
IMG_20220731_155816.jpg

Holes drilled, and all of my plumbing lined up where desired :) gate valve easily accessible from the side back of the tank, as well as the 4 Neptune "forwarded" outlets and my mount for the mp10 controller. Still need to make a mount for the gate valve so torque on it isn't stressing the glass although very small I don't want any additional stresses unaccounted for. I also need to find a better fitting street to barb elbow for my return bulkhead. I don't need to put water in there to know it will definitely not seal! My intent for the mp10 is to mount it somewhere on the back wall, so that leaves under the overflow, next to/under the return, or in the strip of space between the mp10 controller and the light mount extrusion. House work not advancing nearly as fast as I had hoped, but it's moving, finding out my basement may have a very prime location for an in wall tank and fishroom behind it, so this tank may be obsolete before I even finish it ;)

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha... looking at how your current tank is organized and what you have created is like night and day :)

Forget about slight improvements along the way, lets just dive into it and not look back. The effort should pay off tremendously... Almost there!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220824_201639.jpg
IMG_20220824_201636.jpg
IMG_20220824_201630.jpg
IMG_20220824_201628.jpg
IMG_20220824_201619.jpg
IMG_20220821_150656.jpg

last baffle in, so just need to cement some plumbing, and route some sump wiring and this tank is ready for water

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_201639.jpg
    IMG_20220824_201639.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20220824_201636.jpg
    IMG_20220824_201636.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20220824_201630.jpg
    IMG_20220824_201630.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20220824_201628.jpg
    IMG_20220824_201628.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220824_201619.jpg
    IMG_20220824_201619.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a few months have passed and I have quite a few things to report, starting with a tragedy. My reef crashed hard and in the worst of ways. I had been cleaning some algae and must have bumped my heater probe out of the water. Well air temp around the tank was well below, so the heater stayed on and when I got home the following day, the horrible horrible stench of my boiled companions had filled the home. Total loss. Water temp was ~110 when I found it. Within an hour I had completely drained, scrubbed and acid washed the rocks and tank was no more. Rocks are still soaking in water to rot out the rest, but I don't know if I will even bother including them in the new build. Speaking of tragic, the same day my tank crashed I had begun filling the new tank, having finished my aquascape. Had the critters lasted just a week or so longer they would have been in that tank dealing with a mild cycle. Can't think that way, but regardless it sucks. I will get some pictures soon, when the tank crashed it pretty well took the wind out of my sails to fill the new tank.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I read your thread and I'm absolutely amazed with the work you did. If you created this entire system, there is absolutely no limits to you in this hobby.

I recently saw another reefer on YT who had the very same issue with heater probes on his Apex and lost everything. This is really heartbreaking. I'm really sorry for your loss.

It might look a bit of aeronautics mindset but maybe you could use this episode to develop a backup temperature to your new system.

I wish you a lot of strength to move on, turn the page and this will be just a hard lesson that life give us.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back