65 gallon ocean liverock tank

20211023_141344.jpg
20211023_141413.jpg
20211023_141338.jpg
 
Looking awesome man.

hoping to snag some live rock for my birthday just in time for my tank getting wet. It’ll only be 20lbs or so with the rest being dry rock (aquascaping). But I figure even that small of an amount will do wonders for biodiversity.
 
Looking awesome man.

hoping to snag some live rock for my birthday just in time for my tank getting wet. It’ll only be 20lbs or so with the rest being dry rock (aquascaping). But I figure even that small of an amount will do wonders for biodiversity.

Anything helps! You will probably have some ugly phase on the dry stuff but the liverock (assuming you get aquacultured or mature stuff) should not see any of that nasty stuff for very long. Good luck!
 
Anything helps! You will probably have some ugly phase on the dry stuff but the liverock (assuming you get aquacultured or mature stuff) should not see any of that nasty stuff for very long. Good luck!

yeah I’m expecting uglies. Which is fine. More concerned with getting the microfauna expanded in my system. And yeah it’ll be ocean fresh. Going with deco live rock from gulf live rock.
 
yeah I’m expecting uglies. Which is fine. More concerned with getting the microfauna expanded in my system. And yeah it’ll be ocean fresh. Going with deco live rock from gulf live rock.

Post some pics on here of that gulf rock when you get it. I've ordered from the old TBS a couple of times and most recently the FL keys liverock from KP aquatics. I would personally recommend the keys rock over any gulf rock i have ever received.
 
Last edited:
Some of the rules I have always broken are never QTing, no testing, using ocean rock, allowing "pests" to live happily in coexistence with my reef, no dosing, no chemicals besides prime, no filtration additives besides carbon about once every few months to clear the water, and others I am sure.

My general philosophy in reefing has always been to create as natural an ecosystem as possible. I see the tank as the ocean, the refugium as the estuary, and the skimmer as the beach. I allow all life to live and thrive in my tank in order to fill its natural niche in my tank. I believe even things such as red planaria play a vital role in my system. By allowing everything to thrive in my tank just one thing will never take it over. Checks and balances.
I do exactly like this except I don't use Prime or Carbon and I dose calc and alk.
@Paul B im going to grab some mud in our local estuary this weekend during a fishing trip. Any advice? Thanks!
Mud is great. If you can find some flat rocks or wood in the intertidal zone you will find much more life. Just don't take it if it smells and is black
 
I do exactly like this except I don't use Prime or Carbon and I dose calc and alk.

Mud is great. If you can find some flat rocks or wood in the intertidal zone you will find much more life. Just don't take it if it smells and is black

Hey @Paul B, ill try a little chunk of rock or wood for sure!

About the Prime. I keep it on hand in case of an emergency or if I wash tank equipment in tap water I treat that water with prime. I absolutely do not dose it or ad it to my aquarium regularly.

Carbon is only used to clear the water every couple of months or if I use epoxy and glue to attach frags. Idk if it makes a difference but I like to think that it will pull out some chemicals from the adhesives.
 
Post some pics on here of that gulf rock when you get it. I've ordered from the old TBS a couple of times and most recently the FL keys liverock from KP aquatics. I would personally recommend the keys rock over any gulf rock i have ever received.

will do. Going with gulf live rock as I’m trying to get it before it gets too cold to ship and they’re the only ones with it in stock
 
Carbon is only used to clear the water every couple of months or if I use epoxy and glue to attach frags.
I used it for years but then figured it removed to many things that I wanted to keep and it is supposed to be a main cause of HLLE according to some. I am still on the fence about that though.
 
Some of the rules I have always broken are never QTing, no testing, using ocean rock, allowing "pests" to live happily in coexistence with my reef, no dosing, no chemicals besides prime, no filtration additives besides carbon about once every few months to clear the water, and others I am sure.

My general philosophy in reefing has always been to create as natural an ecosystem as possible. I see the tank as the ocean, the refugium as the estuary, and the skimmer as the beach. I allow all life to live and thrive in my tank in order to fill its natural niche in my tank. I believe even things such as red planaria play a vital role in my system. By allowing everything to thrive in my tank just one thing will never take it over. Checks and balances.

Tank looks great.
Ultra low maintenance is the way to go.
Not fan of all those fancy gears too.

And thanks for this fantastic statement.
For a tank with mainly soft corals and 2 damsels.
There is no need to QT, no testing and no dosing.

Others that have more stony corals and more sensitive fishes.
Always remember to test and dose and most importantly quarantine your fishes.

jx
 
Tank looks great.
Ultra low maintenance is the way to go.
Not fan of all those fancy gears too.

And thanks for this fantastic statement.
For a tank with mainly soft corals and 2 damsels.
There is no need to QT, no testing and no dosing.

Others that have more stony corals and more sensitive fishes.
Always remember to test and dose and most importantly quarantine your fishes.

jx

Thanks.

IMHO QT is entirely over rated and most ppl (i would argue) who do it probably don't do so rigorously enough to actually keep pathogens from their tanks.
 
Quick tank update. Removed my vortech mp10 and switched to two return pumps rather than one. Great flow and anemone safe for my new RBTA! Also added an azure damselfish. What a stunner! Tank is progressing beautifully!
20220101_125834.jpg
20220101_125845.jpg
20211230_120457.jpg
20211230_120417.jpg
20211229_153605.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new