650g DT (Re)build

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Hello and welcome to my newbie fever underwater circus.

I'm new to the hobby and got thrown into the deep end (literally) to sink or swim. I did an intro thread here:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-here-and-likely-in-over-my-head.558578/page-7#post-5915587

Moving over here for the ongoing adventures of the newbie with too much tank.

The short version for those of you that don't want to read the book I posted in my welcome thread (fair warning, it might not actually be shorter. I can be rather long winded):
  • Tank came with the house I purchased about 2.5 years ago, fully stocked. I've tried to make some upgrades while I've owned the tank, but a lot of it is still as I found it
  • Here's the wholly inadequate instructions we received for our "low maintenance" tank
    • Daily- Feed Fish
      7-10 days- top off water with 5-10 gallons
      6-8 weeks-change filter pad (remove old, slide in new)
      2-3 months- change water
  • The residents as we stand today (I've had a few losses over he past couple years as I've taken my lumps)
    • 2 sharks - Black spotted horned and Bamboo, both over 24" long
    • 2 groupers - Blue line (~14") and Miniatus (~6")
    • Queen/Blue angel, not sure which (+~6")
    • Orange Toadfish (~8")
    • Columbian "shark" Catfish (~10")
    • Black Bar Soldierfish (+~6")
  • And brief once around the tank circuit as it currently stands
    • Glass display with very fine sand bottom. Not especially deep and I need to move some down to the overflow where it's currently bare bottom. There's a few pieces of rock in the DT (not nearly enough). I'll be redoing the rockscape a ways down the road to add a lot for rock, hiding places, and just visual interest
    • Overflow box about half full of bio balls with PVC pipes for drainage.
    • 2x 1-1/4" and 2x 3/4" vinyl tubing running to the sump. All but one of the 3/4" tubes dump through 200 micron filter socks. I need an extension to get the last tube through
    • Sump inlet zone: more bio balls (soon to be replaced with live rock/rubble), 2x Brightwell BIO plates set to receive most of the flow into the next part of the sump and skimmer pump (currently a Jebao DCP-8000 or Danner Mag Drive 24. Planning to upgrade to the DCP-18000 model, but more on that in a moment)
    • Skimmer: DIY lifereef copy with a Mazzei 1078 venturi. Full thing stands about 8' tall
      • 6" PVC body, about 60" tall
      • 4" PVC neck. Connected with a reducer bushing
      • 1"PVC piping for most of the plumbing
      • 1" ID nylon tubing where I need flexible lines (pump to venturi)
      • PVC gate valve to control water level in the skimmer body
      • Water goes up about 4', through venturi, back down and is turned to encourage a swirling motion inside the body.
      • Likely needs more pump. Picked my specks from the Blueline 40HDX that's recommended for the large LifeReefs, but after some more research, I likely need more pressure for my tall skimmer. Also want a submersible pump specifically so I can collect any waste heat. I live in Michigan and my heater is running a lot
    • Refugium zone
      • roughly 2'x5' in size
      • 2x Maxi-jet powerheads for more flow
      • Brightwell NO3 brick in the slowest flowing area I could find
      • some crushed coral gravel on each end with open glass in the middle. Honestly, this is mostly to keep the dividers in place as the sump appears to be a DIY build and the caulk has let go in several places.
      • chaeto (that's not growing)
      • 150w equivalent grow light (turns the room pink when it's on) running about 16hrs a day roughly counter to the DT lights (a bit on the "roughly" later)
      • Dual layer filter pad at the next transition
      • fun Fact: this used to be a big undergravel filter, which I removed last week to find lots of lovely brown "sand" underneath
    • Return: 1 eFlux Loop 3170 (replaced the Mag Drive 24) and 1 Mag Drive 18
      • Long Nylon lines run back to the tank and drop in just under the surface
      • The only flow in the DT is from the return pumps. One is directed straight across the surface and the other is split with a 90x90x90 degree fitting (if that makes sense)
      • There's an 800w heater in here too. Temp probe is in the fuge zone
    • Tank lighting: 6x Current Orbit Marine (likely 1st gen) running off ramp timers that aren't very well synced up any more. Some seem to still be on the old schedule but a couple just kinda turn on and off whenever they feel like.
    • Control: I have an Apex system that is currently just controlling the fuge light and helping me keep an eye on a few parameters
  • And food for the residents. Most of this is human grade from a local Asian market:
    • Mackerel (mostly for the sharks)
    • Smelt
    • Squid (also mostly for the sharks to help fill them up a bit so they're less rowdy)
    • Nori (angel only)
    • Mysis shrimp (mostly angel and soldier)
    • Pollock (not the most popular, but higher in iodine and soaks up supplements better)
    • Occasionally shrimp, Sole, bay scallops
    • Supplements include Brightwell Vitamarin-M and Aminomega for general consumption and Mazuri Shark-Ray vitamins for the sharks
  • water is typically supplied via 50gpd Coralife RO unit with an add on DI. I'll used Prime treated tapwater if I'm in a pinch. Salt, I use whatever I can get cheap because huge tank and I'm cheap. Currently I have: Instant Ocean, Coralife, Omega Sea. I've also used Aquaforest.
And finally a few known issues
  • Nitrates and phosphates have been pegged high according to the API test kits I've been using. I've grown loads of cyano, but that's been slowing down due to many many many water changes recently
  • Everything else is pretty normal:
    • Ammonia, Nitrite = 0
    • 10 dKH (up a little recently from the undergravel change and fresh crushed coral added)
    • Calcium: 420ppm
    • Iodine/Iodide (because sharks) = not measurable on Seachem multitest, but I'm working on that. they're getting a supplement now. Also not entirely sure if I'm getting it all together correctly, but I just got it so well see how things go after a few runs
    • pH=7.99 as of the moment. This is down a bit, but I've mostly sat around 8-8.1
    • Salinity=1.023 SG or 30 ppt (still need to get the apex probe making sense on this one)
    • Temp=74.3 F give or take <.5 F
    • ORP (if you're into that) = 405 at the moment
    • O2 levels = 7 (forget the units that the Salifert kit measures)
    • I might be forgetting something, but that should do for now
  • Can't grow chaeto to save my life. Lost the original batch to a few bad cyano outbreaks and haven't gotten it going since. I don't think it's dead, but it certainly isn't doing well. It goes dark green and just kinda tightens up and bits break off, but everything is still green
And some planned changes:
  • Replace Bio balls in sump with live rock/rubble (just need the LFS to actually have a decent supply of rubble on hand)
  • Upgrade skimmer pump. Might also build a second tower and tweak the design a bit (recirc, better sealed, etc)
  • More water changes (I'm up to ~44g about 1.5x per week). also, automatic water changer (DIY because cheap) because doing this all by hand, even pump assisted, is not much fun
  • ATO system. Either DIY (let's go "frugal" here ;)) or something that will talk to the Apex
  • Upgrade the DT lights so they actually run as a unit again (or at least figure out why a few of them are just drifting to whaer time they feel like)
  • Aquascaping! this part will be fun... and expensive, but mostly fun
  • Clean up crew if I can find some good critters that won't become expensive shark food. Also need to sort my water issues before I get those critters so they don't croak right away. I may still have a tiny brittle star in the fuge though who's made it at least a few weeks (likely came in with a chaeto ball from the LFS)
  • ATS, but first I'd like to get my fuge chaeto ball to grow. Also DIY though this is more because there's not a lot of off the shelf options for my scale, but also because cheap.
  • Likely going to add some live rock to the sump and split the fuge into part LR, part macro
My quick facts:
  • Located near Ann Arbor, MI
  • I'm pretty big on DIY, mostly because I'll see some expensive piece of equipment, go "hey I'm an engineer and am decent at building stuff. I can prolly do that for like 10-50% of that". Usually what I build is functional and of passable quality, but far from anything commercial
  • On a related note, also have a 3d printer and will be getting a 2nd soon.
  • Mechanical Engineer, car guy, into photography, have way to many expensive hobbies that I try to cheap out on
  • I have been known to research things to the point where I've lost track of what I'm researching and/or what's actually good/bad/otherwise/outdated/etc and have to start over.
  • Recently married with a generally understanding/forgiving wife who's unfortunately little help with the tank. She's a bit squeamish and doesn't have the stomach for any of the muckier work (prepping food, cleaning the tank, etc) so I'm largely on my own, but don't back down from a challenge.

Ya that still kinda turned into a book. So super condensed version:
I'm cheap with a huge (650g display, 750+ total system) tank that was running when we moved into our house 2.5 years ago. We have sharks in our FO tank. I'm a newbie so any and all advice is welcome. I have lots of issues and lots of plans, some of which come from the welcome thread listed way back at the top.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And finally a few pics to get things rolling. Quality will be meh as its just phone shots. Not up for pulling out the good camera and going through transferring them tonight. Will be getting some better ones later in the build.
Display as we stand:
15549501823927560798670139143278.jpg
1554950240925336546689076524680.jpg

Residents
Rocky Road the black spotted horned shark (front) and Snickers the bamboo shark (back)
15549503616761075199577582793136.jpg

Butter cup the blue/queen angel, sprite the black bar soldiers and kumquat the Columbian shark catfish (who wont sit still for a better shot)
15549504223866670565916763837324.jpg

Skittles the miniatus grouper
15549506576718088600228765343267.jpg
Jeff the blue line grouper
15549507046663909376118709289056.jpg
And lucky the orange toadfish osnt feeling photogenic tonight but he's pretending to be a hat on one of the sharks in my profile shot

A few shots behind the scenes too:
Skimmer (right) and the house water heater for scale. Yes I use the stepstool in front to check the cup
15549511101508380417953436629194.jpg
Sump (skimmer cup perspective) flowing bottom to top. Please excuse the mess. The center brace there is way too useful as a flate surface for my own good.
15549512141549190651469904297555.jpg
Fuge with chaeto ball having eaten my heater probe again. Upshot is it stays under the kight better this way. Its a very sad chaeto ball though
15549513668937183797741382638391.jpg

I'll be posting some shots specific to upcoming changes as they happen. Next steps will likely include:
  • Live rock/rubble in the sump inlet to replace the bioballs(not very exciting)
  • Added powerhead in DT to increase flow and help kick some of the detritus into the sump where it can be betrer processed
  • Possible skimmer upgrades complete with diagrams
Think thats about it for tonight. Have a good one.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?! Another reefer that is also a car guy... in the SE Michigan area?! Sweet! There are a few of us on the board actually. Hope to meet you in person (apologies if I already have!). Cars and Coffee at Zingermann's Roadhouse Saturday April 20 (7:30 - 9am). See you there!!

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What?! Another reefer that is also a car guy... in the SE Michigan area?! Sweet! There are a few of us on the board actually. Hope to meet you in person (apologies if I already have!). Cars and Coffee at Zingermann's Roadhouse Saturday April 20 (7:30 - 9am). See you there!!
Doubt we've met. I need to get out more.
I'll have to try to make it out as I do know where that is. Won't be bringing my fun car ('87 Fiero) though as it's in need of some TLC. Course there's also the important question of will there be any mustangs or is it safe for crowds :p

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update with a follow up tomorrow if all goes according to plan:
Good news, nitrates and phosphates are no longer pegged on my API kits! Ive moved down a color on both, so still super high but at least it's progress.
I have started dosing some trace minerals for the chaeto to see if that helps the growth. I did see a promising pH rise tonight on the apex right about when the fuge light kicked on so well see if a pattern starts to emerge there. Added a little fresh chaeto too that either came with a bonus tiny brittle star or he's managed to survive in thebold chaeto ball for a few weeks now:
OI000001.JPG
This was taken with the good camera (Olympus E-PL7 w 60mm macro). Custom white balance is wonderful since this is under my very pink grow light. Phone never stood a chance. Hes just having a nice climb up the heater probe cord.

Finally got aome live rubble from the LFS. Just gonna give it a day on a bucket to make sure we're all kosher before it goes in the sump in place of the bio balls. Should be good as it came from am active tank, with a very cool lobster residing in it, but figure a little caution is good here
It'll also conveniently align with my new skimmer pump arriving so that'll all go in together and I'll see about keeping that accessible amongst the live rubble.

That's all for now

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so big update from the holiday weekend:
I'm working on adding some flow to the system. Mostly to help keep things a bit cleaner and because I need better gas exchange. The surface keeps forming a film thats trapped between a few of the braces which sit just under the surface. Right now I have a pair of cheap 5280gph fixed rate pumps down by the overflow aimed back across the midsection of the tank. Wanted them lower to attempt a gyre type flow regeme with the return but theyre suction cups and I didnt feel like swimming with my sharks:
15559884763391279078423185940711.jpg
Rocky road I dont think is a fan of this placement:
0422192242a.jpg
Have a thread going where I'm going to dig through a bunch of other options and try to leave behind some useful information. I'm expecting to switch these out for something with a magnetic mount so I can place them better without swimming. For now I have a strong flow about halfway with a major upwelling in the center of the tank and some residual momentum going to about the 7.5' mark (tank is 10.5' long)

Also added a couple artificial corals amd restacked some rocks to try to provide more hidey holes for the smaller fish. Butter cup has been acting a little nervouse lately and is trying to share space with about 3 other fish.
Lighting is no good right now to show where the new decor went.

Biggest news of the weekend is the acquisition of a 35g QT tank. LFS had a used tank with stand, HOB filter (Aqua clear 110) a couple heaters and some miscellaneous supplies for a good price. Have it all cleaned up and got a light for it, just need new filtration media and some basic decor and I can get it ready to receive future residents.

And on the not sure what they were thinking side of things, found out that a piece of polystyrene insulation was used to cover the overflow... I'm guessing mostly to damp some of the noise from it. It kinda looks like it's either dissolving slowly or has been eaten on or something. I pulled it out and may just put a basic cover there if I feel the need to quiet things down.
This is the side that was sitting just under the surface of the water:
15559900180368207053602615405166.jpg

Thats all for tonight. I'm gonna hit the hay and hope rocky road doesnt start a sandstorm in the middle of the night.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed you on Saturday... my loss for sure!

Consider the Tunze stream 3 (6150) pumps. You could probably get away with 2 of them attached to the side of the overflow. I've got 1 on my 300 and can't turn it up to 100% or it'll make a mess of everything. They are pretty awesome and I'm not sure you can beat them for the price. Plus, they come with a 5 year warranty. Magnet mount as well.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I missed you on Saturday... my loss for sure!

Consider the Tunze stream 3 (6150) pumps. You could probably get away with 2 of them attached to the side of the overflow. I've got 1 on my 300 and can't turn it up to 100% or it'll make a mess of everything. They are pretty awesome and I'm not sure you can beat them for the price. Plus, they come with a 5 year warranty. Magnet mount as well.
No worries, if only the nice weather had moved in a day earlier.

That one's on my list. The full list is over here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/getting-with-the-flow-in-my-650g-dt.583575/

They a bit pricey for my liking ($316 per pump, on sale) but I may go with something cheaper for now with the plan to switch to those down the road. Heard lots of good things about Tunze powerheads.
Only other issue with that model is it won't help much with Rocky Road perching on it because it's in his corner, aside from probably moving less when he lands. I'm thinking a smaller pump (like a Rossmont Mover) might help in that regard. Give him a smaller target to land on at least.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things you should get in order:

Calibrated refractometer
Kessil H380 to grow your macro algae.
Red Sea or Salifert test kits for nitrates
Lots of huge big inexpensive powerheads
Big UV like a Vecton to keep your water clear
Simple Neptune ATO

DO NOT USE API ANYTHING.

This will reduce or eliminate your need to do many water changes. Since you're only doing fish, alk, ca, mg, etc etc doesn't really matter that much. You just want to create clean water for your fish that's well oxygenated and not cloudy. You can do massive nutrient export with a H380 and Chaeto if you have great flow throughout the tank.

I mean, honestly, I wouldn't be doing all those water changes. Just get RODI going, do one massive water change, run carbon every other day in a good big reactor and grow Chaeto to export your nutrients. Maybe do a 5% water change then every month or two.

I mean, if it were me, I would be a lot more worried about the bones of the tank in terms of structural support and making sure you won't get a million leaks soon which sounds bad considering what you've found.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and watch all of the BRS TV episodes on YouTube, it'll really help.

If you want to learn how to keep coral, I would get a 30g or 40g tank to just learn the basics.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things you should get in order:

Calibrated refractometer
Kessil H380 to grow your macro algae.
Red Sea or Salifert test kits for nitrates
Lots of huge big inexpensive powerheads
Big UV like a Vecton to keep your water clear
Simple Neptune ATO

DO NOT USE API ANYTHING.

This will reduce or eliminate your need to do many water changes. Since you're only doing fish, alk, ca, mg, etc etc doesn't really matter that much. You just want to create clean water for your fish that's well oxygenated and not cloudy. You can do massive nutrient export with a H380 and Chaeto if you have great flow throughout the tank.

I mean, honestly, I wouldn't be doing all those water changes. Just get RODI going, do one massive water change, run carbon every other day in a good big reactor and grow Chaeto to export your nutrients. Maybe do a 5% water change then every month or two.

I mean, if it were me, I would be a lot more worried about the bones of the tank in terms of structural support and making sure you won't get a million leaks soon which sounds bad considering what you've found.

refractometer - done
fuge light - keeping my eyes peeled for a greatly reduced Kessil, otherwise might upgrade a little further. Right now I'm getting zero growth and it just kinda slowly falls apart, but does stay green. Not sure what's up there. Also considering an ATS, but was hoping to at least see my chaeto ball grow a little first.
nitrate test kits - I'm likely going to order a Salifert kit very soon (damaged package deal ftw!), but the API kits are at least functional for now. I'll likely slowly switch away from the API kits over time, but already have them and thus far I seem to have a functional batch: it reads 0ppm when it should and is showing a reduction of nitrates since I removed the undergravel and started the frequent water changes. I can even get a proportional reading in a diluted sample (trick from the Red Sea Phosphate kit I got but haven't used yet).
powerheads - working on it. I have 2 so far and will likely add some more.
UV - Looking into some upgrade options, but a lot of them are a bit painfully expensive. I'll have to see what I can afford to do here.
ATO - planning on a DIY solution here. I have things plumbed (if a bit roughly), just need the sensors, a breakout box and to program it

Regarding water changes, I'd love to do a massive one (well, maybe not love to since it's a lot of water to move) but don't have anywhere to put a few hundred gallons of water or an RODI unit that would output fast enough for me to keep filling while I'm changing, which is why I'm doing frequent smaller changes.

The bones of the tank seem solid to me. The sump isn't in the best of shape, but only internally (dividers between sections specifically). The actual glass box is solid. Only changes I'm likely to make here is a little bit of plumbing fixes, mostly to make it a bit neater and I'll likely need to overhaul the sump eventually when the caulk holding the dividers decides it's had enough.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So another quick update as I got a little more done on the tank tonight:
Turns out a pile of bio balls in the overflow with no prefilter is a terrible idea. I staryed pulling some out to try to remove some of the polystyrene bits that had come loose and settled into the bio balls. Well, after pulling a bunch out and gettinf deeper, found a nice pile of bio balls held together by a lovely detritus cement... Safe to say this is another source of my high nitrates and now that I'm nearly bio ball free (theres likely a few still in the overflow buried in the muck) and had to change my filter socks for the second time in 48 hours, I'll be planning on trying to suck the rest of the muck out and we'll see if my nitrates start to fall off a cliff with the major detritus piles removed.

Have a few more items on the way too, stay tuned as I'll likely have my QT put together sometime next week and will be free of my nitrate piles once I can do another water change.

15561640119477721930536956211974.jpg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ace those bio balls and opt for the marine pure blocks... you'd probably want 5-6 of them, added about a week apart at first. They are not cheap but do a great job (in my experience) in mitigating nitrates, especially if you rinse them monthly (which I finally started to do with my 2).

I've got a Mars Aqua grow light I can sell you for cheap... have no plans to use it anymore. It grows chaeto VERY well. Probably much better than the kessil H80 as it's much more powerful and has much better coverage.

Also have a break out box that I will probably never use...

Heck, I've got a ton of stuff that I'll probably never use. Just let me know if you need something and I'll check my inventory. :0) I'll shoot you a text.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ace those bio balls and opt for the marine pure blocks... you'd probably want 5-6 of them, added about a week apart at first. They are not cheap but do a great job (in my experience) in mitigating nitrates, especially if you rinse them monthly (which I finally started to do with my 2).

I've got a Mars Aqua grow light I can sell you for cheap... have no plans to use it anymore. It grows chaeto VERY well. Probably much better than the kessil H80 as it's much more powerful and has much better coverage.

Also have a break out box that I will probably never use...

Heck, I've got a ton of stuff that I'll probably never use. Just let me know if you need something and I'll check my inventory. :0) I'll shoot you a text.
Agreed on the bio balls. Already pulled a 5g bucketfull out of the sump and replaced with a bucketfull of live rubble and a couple Brightwell BIO plates (claimed capacity of over 1000g each) that have most of the system flow running through them. Same basic idea as the marine pure blocks. Haven't been rinsing them but they get a pretty good amount of flow through and around and seem to be staying fairly clean. So far I've yet to see any ammonia or nitrite and my nitrates have been dropping slowly.
Also have a Brightwell NO3 brick and will be adding a second. Another similar concept but different material to ideally encourage nitrate removal from my understanding. Those are just past the divider to the fuge area on some crushed aragonite sand and some of the live rubble is there too as it wouldn't all fit in the sump inlet without burying my skimmer pump.

Which Mars light is it? I've been looking at them but couldn't really justify the price or the high power draw on some of the beefier models. Figured I should be able to get the chaeto to grow at least a little with what I have, but no luck so far.

Breakout box is definitely on my short term buying list. Just need to find some decent, inexpensive sensors for water level to plug into it. I'll prolly also need another power bar for the Apex since I'm running short on outlets and the water barrels are on the other side of the room.

If you have any strong powerheads that use magnetic mounts, I could really use some of those ;)
O and more chaeto... I'm down to a very loose softball :(

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
replaced with a bucketfull of live rubble and a couple Brightwell BIO plates (claimed capacity of over 1000g each) that have most of the system flow running through them.
You're on the right track. Just know that rubble can and will also lead to the buildup of detritus. I removed a bunch of rubble from my sump because of this. Make sure you don't have your plates/media in direct flow (i.e., under the incoming water) as that may cause them to break apart. Perhaps that is what some people have done and therefore thought those block were super delicate??

Which Mars light is it? I've been looking at them but couldn't really justify the price or the high power draw on some of the beefier models. Figured I should be able to get the chaeto to grow at least a little with what I have, but no luck so far.
I think it's the 150W version. It's not very big. Maybe 12 x 8 or so but it is powerful. Let me know if you want it.

If you have any strong powerheads that use magnetic mounts, I could really use some of those ;)
O and more chaeto... I'm down to a very loose softball :(
Can't help on the pumps. Jebao make some bigger pumps that push a ton of water and they're cheap. Chaeto, I can help you there. Will probably need to harvest in a couple weeks.

OP
OP
gt44ever

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the right track. Just know that rubble can and will also lead to the buildup of detritus. I removed a bunch of rubble from my sump because of this. Make sure you don't have your plates/media in direct flow (i.e., under the incoming water) as that may cause them to break apart. Perhaps that is what some people have done and therefore thought those block were super delicate??

I think it's the 150W version. It's not very big. Maybe 12 x 8 or so but it is powerful. Let me know if you want it.

Can't help on the pumps. Jebao make some bigger pumps that push a ton of water and they're cheap. Chaeto, I can help you there. Will probably need to harvest in a couple weeks.
I was seeing a little breakup before I put in the rubble, but some of that might have been from messing with the skimmer pump. its a little cleaner now. Here's a couple diagrams since I'm lacking for pics post-rubble install.
upload_2019-4-25_11-1-16.png

The socks help slow down and diffuse the flow over the upper plate and the rubble takes the brunt of the skimmer outflow. Flow down under the sump divider might be a bit fast, but some of the flow definitely runs around the plates and I didn't see any signs of breakup in that part of either plate when I swapped the bio balls out for rubble and upgraded my skimmer pump. I think I'm running more through them than is advised, but haven't seen any real issues so far in the couple months they've been in place. Rubble swap happened after running them for a little over a month with a similar setup. Only major difference is the pump switched sides of the sump and everything was buried under bio balls.

The Jebao powerheads are also on my shortlist, just trying to do some due diligence on other options around the same price point (Rossmont, Skimz, H2Pro, YCA all within about $30 per pump of the Jebaos). Actually ordered a pair of smaller rossmonts (open box deal) to use in the QT that I might toss in my display to see what the flow pattern looks like. If I like it, may go with their big boys (4100gph).

I might just take you up on the Mars. Can't hurt to try another light. When we first moved in it seemed to grow ok under the 150w metal halide that was on the sump until the cyano bloomed. No crazy growth but it was a pretty large chaeto ball. Light was diffused through a wide glass brace (that I now use as a flat surface more than I probably should). I went LED to try to cut back on the electricity usage a bit and to improve access to the sump (the unit was a big hood that covered almost the entire sump) but haven't made any real headway on growing it.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I understand your setup more now. My only suggestion would be to move those plates out of the first compartment and closer to the return pump... after all mechanical filtration and even after the skimmer. They will still experience a lot of flow over, through, and around them but they will take less abuse and potential for sedimentation. Should make them more effective actually.

Skimz have great products and if the price is close to Jebao might be worth a shot. I've haven't used their circulation pumps but really loved the Skimmer I had a couple years back. The Jebao pumps are certainly fine, but you have to make sure to clean them often (monthly). They lose a lot of power when they get dirty (moreso than Tunze, for example) and this may also lead to shorter life span. I assume their more recent models are better so why not give them a try.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If growing cheato is working out, look into running a biopellet reactor.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back