7.5 Gallon Minimalist Reef

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I actually started this tank needing a good container for curing some newly acquired live rock from GulfLiveRock.com (here in Tampa) with the intent of moving a few pieces of rock over to my 20g Waterbox Anemone/Goby/Ricordea tank to promote some diversity. Well, you know how utility tanks usually turn out....they turn into mega diverse full blown reefs! Not quite that anyways. By minimalist, I mean low in time commitment, not too much equipment, low risk of overflow (like none), and not too $$$. I mean this isn't dirt cheap, that would be a Petco 2 foot tank, a small HOB filter, a black box light or simple desktop light, and a heater. But this isn't much more than that. This is the type of tank that if I decided I was divesting out of the hobby, I could still hang on to this little dealie and not feel too bad/guilty/etc. And besides that, where else can one keep a one off nasty damsel all to their self?

The Tunze 3161 filter is really quite an impressive little device, acting as a surface skimmer and filter all in one. The tiny Archea heater fits neatly in the back of the filter.

I added the Eheim Skim350 for some extra flow, and its ability to clean up surface film (better than the Tunze) at such a low cost is really wonderful. The inlet floats on the surface and so can automatically adjust to changing waterline heights. This device should not be confused with a proper skimmer nor overflow, but for the price the benefit is crazy. Having removed the sponge from the Skim350 it also gives me a way to maintain lower circulation while feeding in conjunction with turning off the Tunze for those short periods.

Tank specs:
  • Tank: Mr. Aqua low iron, 12 x 12 x 12 inches, 7.5 gallons.................................... $85
  • Filtration and flow: Tunze Comline 3161 surface/box filter.................................$54
  • "" - Eheim Skim350 surface skimmer......................................................................$28
  • Lights: AI Prime HD, 13 LEDs..................................................................................$150
  • Live Rock: Gulf Live Rock designer nano rock, 17 lbs..........................................$114
  • Heater: Archaea Mini Heater (25W).........................................................................$29
Livestock:
  • 10 different clusters of Zoads
  • Neon Green Star Polyp
  • Fiji Blue Devil Damselfish
  • Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • 5 Trochus Snails
Maintenance:
  • Weekly: Water change, as close to 100% as possible! Smaller changes now that Zoads/GSPs are in the tank.
Water parameters (using RO/DI, Red Sea Blue Label):
  • Salinity (SG): 1.025
  • NO3: need to test!
  • PO4: need to test!
  • Alkalinity (dKH): 7 +-
  • Temperature: 78F

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting project! I'm interested to see where this goes - good luck on your latest adventure!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Other.

Back