75 g stock list help?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m working on a new stocking list for my Red Sea reefer 350 (approximately 83 gal water total volume)
Currently have:
1 gladiator clownfish
1 neon goby
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 Court jester goby

Considering:
3 green chromis (low priority)
1 yellow coris wrasse (high priority)
1 pintail wrasse
1 sunburst Anthias
3 anthias (undecided yet)
1 whitetail tang (high priority)
1 royal gramma (low priority)

Would this be too many fish for that tank/any aggression I overlooked? Also any switch out suggestions or things I overlooked?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any issues as far as compatibility. That seems like a lot of fish, but they're mostly small. I would get the pintail in sooner rather than later.

I will say that most people are disappointed in Chromis. Some do have luck. What anthias are you thinking?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m working on a new stocking list for my Red Sea reefer 350 (approximately 83 gal water total volume)
Currently have:
1 gladiator clownfish
1 neon goby
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 Court jester goby

Considering:
1 pintail wrasse
1 sunburst Anthias

Would this be too many fish for that tank/any aggression I overlooked? Also any switch out suggestions or things I overlooked?
I wouldn’t do the Tang, if it’s a 3’ tank then there isn’t enough room IMHO. If it’s a 4’x2’ tank then it will be alright, I also would ditch the chromis as they will most likely fight to the death without reason to shoal, similar issues occur with most anthias species.
Your court jester will most likely be a great algae eater so you shouldn’t need the tang if it’s for utility over looks. Yellow “Coris” are actually Halichoeres and assuming you have a sand bed you should be just fine. As for the pintail, get that in before any aggressive fish. They are extremely skittish and can vanish and wither in highly active/aggressive tanks. The rest should be alright though.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above. I have the XL300 and white tail tang did not do well. 36 inches to small for them.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't see any issues as far as compatibility. That seems like a lot of fish, but they're mostly small. I would get the pintail in sooner rather than later.

I will say that most people are disappointed in Chromis. Some do have luck. What anthias are you thinking?
Thank you. I was thinking about dropping the chromis off the list and maybe get a fire fish or mix a few Anthias. I’m going to try and QT a yellow coris and then pintail, appreciate the insights though.

I haven’t decided in which Anthias yet, I’m not a big fan of lyretail as they are like grumpy goldfish to me. I’ve been trying to read a ton and have been considering trying to mix a few different types. Open to suggestions here for sure. Im hoping for peaceful Anthias that occupy the top part of the tank. (Especially if I drop the chromis off)

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wouldn’t do the Tang, if it’s a 3’ tank then there isn’t enough room IMHO. If it’s a 4’x2’ tank then it will be alright, I also would ditch the chromis as they will most likely fight to the death without reason to shoal, similar issues occur with most anthias species.
Your court jester will most likely be a great algae eater so you shouldn’t need the tang if it’s for utility over looks. Yellow “Coris” are actually Halichoeres and assuming you have a sand bed you should be just fine. As for the pintail, get that in before any aggressive fish. They are extremely skittish and can vanish and wither in highly active/aggressive tanks. The rest should be alright though.
This is good to know. It is a 4 foot tank so the tang should be good. I do have a sand bed. I’ve been going back and forth between a yellow coris or melanarus wrasse, but I feel like the yellow color is harder to come by. I’m going for a peaceful tank, so hopefully it does well.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t decided in which Anthias yet, I’m not a big fan of lyretail as they are like grumpy goldfish to me. I’ve been trying to read a ton and have been considering trying to mix a few different types. Open to suggestions here for sure. Im hoping for peaceful Anthias that occupy the top part of the tank. (Especially if I drop the chromis off)
Okay, I was going to suggest staying away from lyretails for size reasons. Bartlett's are the worst about picking each other off. I'm not really an anthias expert though.
but I feel like the yellow color is harder to come by. I’m going for a peaceful tank, so hopefully it does well.
They are really peaceful.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I like the balance and agree a small tang could go there - however, with about 2 years under my belt I myself would be Leary of your anthias plans... they are active, and fill the top water space well.. but require regular high quality feed all day long and place pressure on your nutrient export -
do like the gramma selection, and might consider CB cardinals of either species too fill in the open water

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dispar or ignitus anthias. They stay smaller than other species, they don't pick each other off as much, and are easy to keep happy as far as anthias go. Carberryi are another decent option. Venturing past those, they either get larger or much more difficult to care for.

Dispar and ignitus (almost identical species, just from different areas i believe) are fine only eating 2-3 times a day once they are fat and settled in.

Rest of the list looks fine, though I'm not a chromis fan.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dispar or ignitus anthias. They stay smaller than other species, they don't pick each other off as much, and are easy to keep happy as far as anthias go. Carberryi are another decent option. Venturing past those, they either get larger or much more difficult to care for.

Dispar and ignitus (almost identical species, just from different areas i believe) are fine only eating 2-3 times a day once they are fat and settled in.

Rest of the list looks fine, though I'm not a chromis fan.
I looked into these and will probably purchase the Dispar. Did 3 seem like a good number?

also— I’ve been going back and forth on omitting the sunburst Anthias and/or chromis and trying to get a 1-2 bigger fish instead… if I do this, any suggestions?

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into these and will probably purchase the Dispar. Did 3 seem like a good number?

also— I’ve been going back and forth on omitting the sunburst Anthias and/or chromis and trying to get a 1-2 bigger fish instead… if I do this, any suggestions?

Yeah, 3 is a good number. I like to start with all females and let them decide who transitions.

I'm not much of a bigger fish expert. Genicanthus angel? Copperband Butterfly? marine betta? Small foxface maybe, though they get larger. I'd avoid a second tang personally, but others might not agree.

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have:
1 gladiator clownfish
1 neon goby
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 Court jester goby

Considering:
1 pintail wrasse
1 sunburst Anthias

just a question, where did you or your lfs get your pink streaked wrasse I want to get one

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a question, where did you or your lfs get your pink streaked wrasse I want to get one
I ended up buying it from a person that was getting out of the hobby… I’d been looking for one for over a year. It was a wicked hard fish to find.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, 3 is a good number. I like to start with all females and let them decide who transitions.

I'm not much of a bigger fish expert. Genicanthus angel? Copperband Butterfly? marine betta? Small foxface maybe, though they get larger. I'd avoid a second tang personally, but others might not agree.
Excellent, thanks! That’s what I was planning was to get all females.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have:
1 gladiator clownfish
1 neon goby
1 pink streaked wrasse
1 Court jester goby

Considering:
1 pintail wrasse
1 sunburst Anthias

Some say yes on the tang some say no.
This tang gets to 7". It would be fine but with less fish imo.
Or do all those other fish but leave off the tang.

My 0.02¢

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would swap the tang for a bristletooth, tomini, or don't do a tang at all. I tried a yellow tang in a 75 gallon, which is a smaller fish and it got really aggressive by the time it hit 3 inches. It was not aggressive whatsoever when I upgraded to a 125g.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back