75 Gal Overflow Setup HELP

  • Thread starter Thread starter JunkMan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JunkMan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 14, 2013
Messages
56
Reaction score
1
Location
Manchester, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to setup my 75 gal rectangle tank (48x18x20) for a reef tank. My current tank is a 65 gal with a corner overflow. On this 75 gal I want to drill the tank for the overflow pluming but I have some questions...

1. Where should I put the overflow? (middle, corner, etc.)
2. What size overflow box?
3. What size holes to drill and what size bulkheads?
4. Where and how do I install the return line(s)?

I am open for all suggestions and advice. Thx in advance!!
 
Check out glass-holes.com. They have kits that contain everything you need along with videos to walk you through installation (very easy, just take your time when drilling). I would use the 700 GPH kit, although you could step up to the 1500 GPH kit for more flow. My office tank is the same dimensions and I have one 1.5" bulkhead through the back that provides plenty of flow. Overflow position is ultimately up to you but I would put towards one corner of the back wall.
 
I've got the same size / dimension tank and it's got an external center overflow. It leaves the entire tank open...here's a pick of the back of the tank.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 286
Here's some light reading to get you thinking outside the basic overflow.

Leaving as much space as possible inside the tank is crucial IMO, Jimbo did a great job with his external above. The glass-holes have incredibly thin profiles (~2") and basic strainers can provide the same to.
 
Jimbo, did you build that overflow box? I have a 75 gallon that I am looking to do the same thing with, but I'm not sure my DIY skills are up to it. Got any helpful advice?
 
I've got the same size / dimension tank and it's got an external center overflow. It leaves the entire tank open...here's a pick of the back of the tank.

Jimbo, can I get more pics and info about your overflow setup? Also big thanks to everyone.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new