75 Gallon Stocking List

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by KMench, Oct 2, 2017.

1. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a potential stocking list for my 75G reef tank. It's currently in a fallow period following an ich problem.... So it has LPS, SPS, and softies in the tank as well as a cleaner shrimp and starfish. I have my surviving pajama cardinal in quarantine with CP for 30 days.

Potential List:

Pajama Cardinal (lone survivor)
    Kole Tang
    Yellow Long Nose Butterfly
    Target Mandarin
    2x Oscellaris Clown
    Flame Angelfish
    Melanurus Wrasse
    Some sort of Goby

Is this an acceptable stocking list or is it too heavy? I currently have 100lb of live rock in the tank with a large amount of caves/hiding spots in the rockwork. It's also off the back wall so theres swimming room in both the front and back. I have a 30G sump with a Vertex Omega 150 skimmer and a refugium as well. I'm certainly not finalized on this list, so if you have any suggestions etc it would be greatly appreciated!

2. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Probably not enough room for a longnose butterfly or the Kole Tang long term. If you had a bigger system for it to go in, it would be a nice grow out system for the tang.

Everything else looks good to me!

3. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Goby Whisperer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

You also may want to consider getting at least two more cardinals, I think they do good in groups of three or more.

4. Kyl

Kyl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

I've become a fan of fairy wrasses, partly because they're safe on everything ornamental in the tank, but mostly thanks to @evolved and his crazy good infomatic diagram on mixing them. A lot of different colours available, and the three I have are crazy active. As well, have you thought about something like a Midas Blenny (Ecsenius midas)? A lot of personality in that fish.

evolved and Ryan@ShelteredReef like this.
  5. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member

The one cardinal I have surprisingly does quite well alone. I was afraid he was going to be reclusive since he’s solo, and he was very nervous when he went from the DT to QT but he’s a trooper.

6. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member

The only fairy wrasses I’ve seen have been red in color primarily, and don’t strike me as amazing. If there’s other types or things I’m missing feel free to educate me. ;Bookworm

7. Kyl

Hmm well my blue-sided is a blue / purple, lubbocks is a yellow / pink / orange~ish colouring. I'm sure there are some more examples but I've just stuck to what has been at the local LFS, and didn't cost $500 ;)

8. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member

Lol thanks. I assume they’ll still pick at bristleworms and other pests like the other wrasses? I haven’t had much experience with flasher wrasses

9. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

KMench likes this.
  10. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member

Any suggestions on the order of introduction? I’ll be doing them one at a time with a prazi treatment and 30 days of CP for those that can tolerate CP. Those that can’t will get cupramine

11. KMench

KMench Well-Known Member

I did some googling in your article and looking at wrasses. The variety is amazing. I've basically done my shopping by looking at what is available on the LiveAquaria website or Saltwaterfish.com. C. exquisitus is beautiful. Do you have any suggestions based on your wrasse obsession on what would fit well based on temperament/reef compatability/personality? @evolved

By the way your tank is beautiful :)

12. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member Partner Member 2018

A 65g is large enough for a kole tang and long nose butterfly.

The stocklist seemed fine.

C. exquistus is a great species, and can be kept with a representative of any of the green, yellow, or orange complexes on the chart.

13. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award AZ FRAG Member Expert Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

There's also this article, in case you missed it: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/
    And thanks for the compliments.
    +1

14. Kyl

@KMench C. exquistus looks awesome, would definitely give it a go!

Draft saved Draft deleted