75g SPS build on the cheap

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys! I’m new to the forum, but not necessarily new to reefing. That being said, it has been a very long time (6 or 8yrs?!) since I broke my last tank down. My last tank was a 40 breeder display with the same size sump and was filled with mostly SPS and a couple of fish. I’ll try and post a pic.

3421AE7B-3A6C-4208-A61C-CD03123FF72C.jpeg

Cool! That was easy from the phone. Long story short, the tank ended up being neglected for a while and was overrun by caluerpa. I did a major overhaul and got it back in shape, but a year or so later I broke it down to install tile flooring in half of the house. That was the end of that.

Here’s a closer fts

27AB0970-9C8C-48E5-A4AA-28A6E44E9042.jpeg

I gave a friend of mine the tank and everything else, pumps, skimmer, etc. and it has all sat in his garage since then. He had a reef at the time, and was interested in my equipment but never ended up doing anything with it.

He ended up breaking his tank down a few years after mine, and all of his equipment has been stored as well.

So the wife and I were out to dinner a few weeks ago and while checking out the tank they had in the restaurant we got to talking about how much we missed our reef, and how our son (2yr old) loves looking at aquariums. That got my brain spinning and I called my buddy up to see if he still had all of the stuff. He said he should so here we are.

My plan is to build an SPS dominated reef with as much re-used equipment as possible, keeping the cost as low as I can.

I’m hoping to dig through his garage this week or next, and when I do I’ll update this thread with what I find. I thought it would be fun to post a build thread, and have you guys help me decide on what stuff to use and what to keep in storage! We both had some good equipment back then so it’ll be interesting to see it all again.

A lot of this build will be DIY, and I’m hoping to keep costs at a minimum like I said. One big expenditure will be a new light I’m sure, as his went belly up and I don’t remember what I did with my mh/t5 combo (do they even make those anymore?).

The new reef will be his old 75g, put against the same wall that the old 40 sat at. This time, however, I’ll be plumbing through the wall and the sump will be in my shop.

Here

AEF827D7-47CF-4788-B266-622FDFE9B8E5.jpeg

A093CCBB-C7A9-4F9C-AC4F-7D98EAD2385C.jpeg

Don’t mind the mess. So far I’ve got,

my old filter guys ro/di installed in the laundry room, with new filters from BRS

9A68F572-EF2F-4428-BE00-749934AFCB38.jpeg

I also ordered 100lbs of reef cleaners rock a couple of days ago, and will be curing it in the stock tank pictured in my shop above. I’ve aleays started tanks with live rock, so the reef cleaners stuff will be a first for me. Anyone use that stuff before and have some tips on curing it? I was gonna spray it off, then start a cure with a dead shrimp and a product such as Dr. Tim’s.

Anyways that’s what I got for now, and like I said before I’ve been out of the hobby for quite a while so it’ll be fun to ask questions and re-learn all this stuff. I’ll be updating this thread as often as possible!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a great plan laid out. Yes they still make MH/T5 lights but the most common now are LED / T5 combos. Other improvements in the years have been DC return pumps, dosing pumps, big changes in aquarium controllers like apex, and better skimmers.
Oh and welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby!!!!

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reservation I'd have about putting the sump in your shop would be getting something toxic into the water inadvertently. Sort of like if you're sanding something down, or if you are painting something etc.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a great plan laid out. Yes they still make MH/T5 lights but the most common now are LED / T5 combos. Other improvements in the years have been DC return pumps, dosing pumps, big changes in aquarium controllers like apex, and better skimmers.
Oh and welcome to R2R and welcome back to the hobby!!!!

Thanks! LED lights were starting to get popular the last couple years that I had my breeder. I never really liked the look of tanks that had them back then, maybe they got better since I dunno. Right now I’m hoping to find a used mh/t5 combo, if not I’ll stick a 6 or 8 bulb t5 over the tank until I find something I really like. The research I’ve done looks like LED’s are pretty spendy still, and take a lot of tuning for intensity and color. Is that true? I like the plug and play simplicity with mh and t5, plus they just work!

Can you fill me in on DC return pumps? I have had great luck with my old mag drives in the past, and they also double as a heater haha.

One thing that is new and I’ll probably purchase is an auto aqua awc. Seems pretty cool.

Sounds like a great plan! Welcome to R2R and back to reefing!

Thanks Caveman!

The only reservation I'd have about putting the sump in your shop would be getting something toxic into the water inadvertently. Sort of like if you're sanding something down, or if you are painting something etc.

This is a concern of mine... luckily I don’t spray any paint or chemicals in there, as it is attached to my house. I do however use the miter saw occasionally and am worried about sawdust. Dust and dirt in general really. I’ve had a couple ideas about building a removable enclosure for the system, also thought about an acrylic lid for the sump or a temporary tarp for when I use the saw. Won’t be pretty, but hey.

The shop is mainly tool storage, as most of my work is done on the boat in my avatar. Another concern of mine is temperature, it gets pretty cold in there during the winter.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you guys use reef cleaners rock? I’ve never used dry rock before, and while I really like the idea of starting clean, I’m nervous about how long it’ll take to color up once in the display. I hate the white rock look, and have been trying to come up with ideas on how to get some coralline growth after the cycle while still in the stock tank.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing regarding rock is that there is only one lfs in my area. They’re small, and their tanks are in pretty bad shape. Lots of aiptasia in the displays and their frag tank is pretty much dead. A lot of times their rock comes from local tanks that get broken down after a crash, hence my use of dry rock for this build.

That being said, seeding my stock tank with anything from them is out of the question. I have a 24” t5 that I can put over the stock tank once the rock cycles, but am at a loss on how to get a jumpstart on coralline and microfauna before it goes to the display. Any ideas? I’m prepared for a long cycle, but would like to avoid a white tank for a year once it’s set up!

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Nick and welcome back to the hobby !!! I will be following your build thread.
MR BEAN.png

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. It's not often that "cheap" and SPS are used in the same sentence.

This is true, I guess regarding SPS my usage of “cheap” will be relative! Luckily most of the equipment will not cost me a dime, as it was all purchased years ago. Things like rock, salt, and additives are unavoidable in my eyes. Right now, my largest expense that I am expecting is lighting, but like I said I’m not a huge fan of LED’s so a 2,000$ light is not going to be on the tank.

A lot of my methods may seem old school to some, but I’m planning on using/doing what has worked for me in the past.

Decent volume
Water changes
Kalk
Bulk two part
Decent bio load
Good skimmer
RO/DI
T5, mh, or both

I don’t need the newest fanciest gadgets, And expect my old equipment to work great again. I really think consistent water parameters and water changes to be the key for SPS corals, coupled with enough light of course.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Met up with my friend and grabbed some equipment a couple days ago, he didn’t have as much as I thought, but I grabbed quite a few goodies.

Reef octopus dnw-150 skimmer
2 Hamilton 250 watt mh pendants
2 lumatek ballasts
2 mp40w
1 mp40
1/2 5g bucket of koralias
Tunze ato
DIY 40 Breeder sump
RR 75g AGA tank
DIY 40br stand

I’ll post some pictures when everything is vinegar cleaned, it’s all pretty filthy atm. I’m pretty sure I’m going to make a new sump, and get a new display. Worried about these old tanks failing and I really don’t like the overflow on the display.

All in all it was a pretty good score, I’m excited.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I put some work in the last couple days,

Skimmer
77714E48-48E0-4177-A26A-3B1E87553EBA.jpeg

Went ahead and picked up a 40br from Petco during their dollar a gal deal for a new sump. I decided not to use the old tanks, don’t want to skimp and have a blow out or a leak.

Vortechs hanging out in new sump
9CA0160E-384C-4627-9809-440E7CA38AF6.jpeg
You can see the mh ballasts sitting on the ground to the right.

Bunch of koralias. These will come in handy for mixing salt and circulating the sump.
3AC630F6-F970-44DB-BF2F-05BA2EF85286.jpeg

The lights were in pretty rough shape
53CBDFB2-0013-4D5C-9D3A-4F36E775EFBC.jpeg

I scraped off the old paint, sanded, and put a couple coats of rustoleum on them
EF0E153A-5C4F-41C9-AA9D-B842E9754F58.jpeg
D5D41748-97A7-41DA-B3FA-820E5CA343FF.jpeg
010ECCA4-0431-4608-8936-0B7F8BB8EF8F.jpeg

Scrubbed the old sump with vinegar and cut out the baffles for re-use
36D559DA-B6EA-47A3-8BDC-83D8B7C61B0E.jpeg

Almost ready for the last baffle in new sump
05C2951F-F3E5-41A2-85DE-08388E6A92DC.jpeg

By my calculations, I’ll have room for 14 gals of water for back siphon with the baffle placement before the sump overflows. 8 gals will bring it to the lowest part of the plastic trim. On paper it should be plenty, but it sure doesn’t look that way with the naked eye. Only one way to find out I guess. I was trying to toe the line with as much sump volume that I could get away with, while still having room for back siphon water.

My skimmer can go in the left chamber with the overflows, or the small middle chamber. If I decide on the left side, the middle will be a small refugium or house some rock. Right side is for the return pump. Simple setup, and only cost $49 with the cheap Petco tank.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco had their 75g tanks on clearance for $42 dollars as well. I went back with my polarized sunglasses and sadly they were all tempered... I thought I was gonna get the deal of the century for a second!

Next steps are find a tank, shorten stand for the sump, and build a hanging fixture for the lights. My rock should be here Day after tomorrow from reef cleaners, so I’ll get that stuff soaking when it shows up. I’m still going back and forth on just starting a cycle, or soaking in ro/di for awhile to check for phosphates. Everything I’ve read about their rock says it’s phosphate free, but I’m a little leary still I think.

OP
OP
NickC

NickC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress! So my lfs had some really nice rock that they were curing for several months. I wasn’t going to put any in this build, but this stuff was too nice to pass up. The plan is to quarantine the rock for a few weeks and make sure that it’s clean. I’ll add it to the dry rock to get a jump start on microfauna and coralline. I dusted off an old 24” t5, and put together a quarantine tank with a 20 long.

My son loves it

3B426F9F-6C68-4F32-8ABE-02D0A1AC5E40.jpeg

Hooked up my osmolator for top off, and a little biowheel to get seeded from the rock. I’ll be using this to quarantine fish.

D1357BE2-7B91-4BDC-A094-2DA3AA593EFB.jpeg

Not sure why the picture is so dark, there’s 2 blue plus, and 2 coral plus in the fixture. Both only have a couple months on them.

Also, my reefcleaners rock showed up! After a spray down with the hose, and a quick ro/di soak I mixed some salt water and started a cycle. Put the rock in the stock tank with a heater, and a couple koralias. Dosed ammonia to 1.5-1.75 ppm (salifert) and added some bottled bacteria.

5567462F-0545-4594-ADCB-BA3B00B173DF.jpeg

I am really impressed with the rock, I think it looks great. I’ll probably transfer into a brute trash can at some point, the stock tank is a little over sized, and having the lid on a can will help a ton with evap. Won’t be a whole lot to do until the display tank shows up, I ordered a cheap Marineland tank and a millennium marine overflow. Won’t be here for a couple weeks. So far I’ve only had to spend a little over 500 bucks, most of that being the rock, overflow, and display tank.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back