OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much thought, I also moved the RO/DI unit to “at start” and I plan to keep an eye out for used Hanna tests.

I think my next purchase will probably be either the controller or RO/DI unit.

ItemCostNeed By
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit$75At start
32g Biocube with stand$250At start
Aquaforest Reef Salt Mix - 5lb bag$33At start
CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Sand - 10lb bag$16At start
CaribSea Life Rock Nano Reef Kit$79At start
Marine Pure Bio Balls Filter Media$42Approx 2 weeks after start
NYOS Stone Gray Reef Putty$15At start
Clean Up Crew (average, approx.)$50Approx 2 weeks to 1 month after start
Pistol Shrimp/Fire Shrimp/Sexy Shrimp$27-$401 month after start
Clown Pair$1002 months after start
VorTech MP10QM Pump$350Nice to Have
Hydros ATO$80Nice to Have
Hygger 10-25g Heater$38At Start
Salinity Refractometer$16At Start
RO/DI Unit$240At Start
Chemipure Elite$40At Start
Hydros Control 2 Starter Pack$200At Start

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya rodi saves so much with not having to haul things around. And depending on space you can store as much as you want. I have a pressure tank with my set up as we use it for drinking water too. And I agree hydros is a long term upgradeable item to have.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After much thought, I also moved the RO/DI unit to “at start” and I plan to keep an eye out for used Hanna tests.

I think my next purchase will probably be either the controller or RO/DI unit.

ItemCostNeed By
32g Biocube with stand$250At start
RO/DI Unit$240At Start
RODI is going to be well worth it in the long run!

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I made my first visits to two of my LFS’s. The differences between them were like night and day.

One was very big and over 3/4 freshwater. Their saltwater tanks had a healthy growth of aiptasia and red hair algae, even their display tanks. No one spoke to me…they were too busy selling guppies. There were even some dead fish in their freshwater tanks.

The other was closer to home and teeny tiny. The tanks were pristine and the owner approached me and when I asked him how the local municipal water here is and told him I’m looking at RO/DI systems, he took me in the back and showed me his setup. The corals and fish were thriving and he explained how he split up his quarantine tanks. They’re only open on weekends and he would be happy to order fish if he doesn’t have them in stock, no money down until pickup.

So far, I think I know which one will see more of me.

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Last edited:

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who the first one was but I know the second. If you have a chance to check out best fish they have been good every time I have been there only down fall for me is hour thirty drive.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who the first one was but I know the second. If you have a chance to check out best fish they have been good every time I have been there only down fall for me is hour thirty drive.
They’re on my list for sure!

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastest FB Marketplace acquisition! 4 stage RO/DI from a reefer who upgraded. New canisters and TDS monitor all for $50.
IMG_7586.jpeg

And the updated budget…inching closer to water!
32g Biocube with stand$250Bought
RO/DI Unit$50Bought

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, the good! I went to the most popular LFS in town and met this handsome gentleman.
IMG_7603.jpeg

IMG_7604.jpeg

I mean, how could any girl resist a face like that?!?!

The guys there were super friendly and helpful and they had a great selection. They also had an adorable bulldog. I feel like having a shop dog is always a good sign!

The “bad:”
I’m struggling with my apartment’s fancy faucets and my RO/DI connectors. Not only do my bathroom sinks drain at a pace that can’t even be counted as slow, but the aerators are a little odd. I think I may have it figured out, though.

The UGLY…

My apartment had a package thief or thieves this summer who would steal packages from the “secure” package room. I only lost a couple of cheap packages, so they should be set for women’s deodorant for the year, but others lost some expensive items. The complex beefed up security and it seemed like the problem was over.

Until I had my Chewy’s order with salt and some filtration stuff delivered yesterday.

So, now the thief has plenty of deodorant and instant ocean. The management company has asked us to make police reports whenever anything is stolen now so hopefully they can catch the package bandit, so I dutifully called the non-emergency line and they sent out an hunky officer to take my report.

I joked that it’s unlikely that they’d be able to fence aquarium salt and filter media, but the cop said I might be surprised. With salt prices going up, I’m now picturing a black market smuggling ring for marine salt complete with dodgy alleyway trades. Something like Breaking Bad, except aquarium salt instead of meth.

Hopefully my information will help them catch someone, but even if they don’t get my salt back, I only ordered 50 gallons worth, so all told, I’m only out $59. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

I have a wave maker and more salt ordered through Amazon with pickup at an Amazon locker on Friday.

In the meantime, I saw THIS and got inspired! :star-struck:
IMG_7616.jpeg

It’s a custom aqua scape I saw online. I started thinking and I have a friend with a 3D printer, so I’m thinking I might get a skull 3D printed and integrate it into my rockscape! Once it encrusts, it should look pretty cool and be kind of hidden unless you’re looking for it.

Attachments

• IMG_7616.jpeg
    IMG_7616.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing is make sure the material he uses on his 3d printer is safe for aquariums. And package thief's are dumb hope they find it for you
Yeah, I checked with the 3D printing forum on here and I'm ordering PETG filament which should be reef safe.

Today I'm tracking down plumbing fittings to make my RO/DI work. That's becoming an adventure involving 3 different stores and plumbing guys addressing me as "little lady."

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty down lately. I’m having so many obstacles just getting this tank started. It’s crazy!

Last week I did 2 trips to Home Depot and one to a plumbing supply store to try to find the right adapter to get my RO/DI adapter to work with one of my faucets. After trying three different adapters, the plumbing supply store advised me that they don’t think it’s possible, so I ordered a kit to put a t-valve in under the sink that should arrive Wednesday.

My package that was stolen is gone for good. I had been half hoping that someone had just picked it up by mistake and it would still turn up, but no such luck. So, I’m going to have to reorder filter media.

In the meantime I added water and salt to the tank and I’m glad I did this so far ahead of getting rock. The Jebao SLW-10 wave maker I ordered seems to be too underpowered for my tank and I’m also not impressed with the stock return pump, so it looks like my next order is going to be pumps and filter media…so exciting!

I’m comforting myself by reminding myself that it’s better to take things slow and do this right before adding anything alive, but it’s still rough staring at an empty tank for weeks. It’s hard not to start thinking this was a mistake.

Sad Nestor The Long Eared Christmas Donkey GIF by Warner Archive

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added water this weekend and then added salt and it seemed to struggle to move water and I'm seeing a dead spot in the middle of the tank. I haven't added rock or sand yet.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you adding anything to see the movement in the tank to just trying to watch the water. To me it is always better to maybe add more pumps then to get one to big. I did that once and was mad at my self for a while

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, the good! I went to the most popular LFS in town and met this handsome gentleman.
IMG_7603.jpeg

IMG_7604.jpeg

I mean, how could any girl resist a face like that?!?!

The guys there were super friendly and helpful and they had a great selection. They also had an adorable bulldog. I feel like having a shop dog is always a good sign!

The “bad:”
I’m struggling with my apartment’s fancy faucets and my RO/DI connectors. Not only do my bathroom sinks drain at a pace that can’t even be counted as slow, but the aerators are a little odd. I think I may have it figured out, though.

The UGLY…

My apartment had a package thief or thieves this summer who would steal packages from the “secure” package room. I only lost a couple of cheap packages, so they should be set for women’s deodorant for the year, but others lost some expensive items. The complex beefed up security and it seemed like the problem was over.

Until I had my Chewy’s order with salt and some filtration stuff delivered yesterday.

So, now the thief has plenty of deodorant and instant ocean. The management company has asked us to make police reports whenever anything is stolen now so hopefully they can catch the package bandit, so I dutifully called the non-emergency line and they sent out an hunky officer to take my report.

I joked that it’s unlikely that they’d be able to fence aquarium salt and filter media, but the cop said I might be surprised. With salt prices going up, I’m now picturing a black market smuggling ring for marine salt complete with dodgy alleyway trades. Something like Breaking Bad, except aquarium salt instead of meth.

Hopefully my information will help them catch someone, but even if they don’t get my salt back, I only ordered 50 gallons worth, so all told, I’m only out $59. Annoying, but not the end of the world.

I have a wave maker and more salt ordered through Amazon with pickup at an Amazon locker on Friday.

In the meantime, I saw THIS and got inspired! :star-struck:
IMG_7616.jpeg

It’s a custom aqua scape I saw online. I started thinking and I have a friend with a 3D printer, so I’m thinking I might get a skull 3D printed and integrate it into my rockscape! Once it encrusts, it should look pretty cool and be kind of hidden unless you’re looking for it.
The skull really needs gsp mohawk or afro!

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things keep rolling along, if slowly! I put in a couple of orders with Amazon and Chewy today. Amazon locker pickup has become my best friend to avoid thieves, but I’m hoping this Chewy order is safe if I pick it up as soon as they scan it in!

The big news, though, is that I’m FINALLY picking up live rock from my LFS on Saturday, or if I wind up working later, Sunday!
Pumped Up Smile GIF by The Roku Channel

It’s about time!!!!

I’m also hoping to make it to our local reef club’s BBQ on Sunday. So, between work and reef stuff, it’s a busy weekend!

My updated spreadsheet for those curious!
Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit$60Bought
Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Aquarium Sand$24Bought
Mighty Tuff 5 Gallon Buckets$25At start
Fluval Edge Digital Aquarium Thermometer$6Bought
Super Glue Gel$91 Month In
Jebao SLW Series SINE Wave Flow Wavemaker$70Bought
Backup Heater - 300w$38Bought
Citric Acid for Equipment Cleaning$241 Month In
Magnet Cleaner for Glass$101 Month In
Sicce Syncra Silent 1.0 Return Pump$561 Month In
Seachem Laboratories Ammonia Alert 1 yr Monitor$10Bought
Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Aquarium Sand$24At start
Local Live Rock$210At start
Coralife Salt - 30g$22Bought
Jebao SLW Series SINE Wave Flow Wavemaker$26Bought
Instant Ocean Salt$70Bought
Marine Pure Bio Balls Filter Media$26Bought
Salinity Refractometer$19Nice to Have
Coralife Biocube Water Filter Cartridge$11Bought
Quick Connect Pro RO Feed Adapter Valve$22Bought

Last edited:

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass on the grounding probe. Here is a write up from another reef club.

Ground probes come up as a question regularly in here, so I'm making this post as a group topic for reference. It's easier and more effective than responding to the question with a comment every time.

There are 3 issues with a ground probe. the first is that without a complete path, current doesn't flow. It's not going anywhere, not through your tank, not through your livestock. as it sits with what people have labeled "stray voltage" is actually called "potential" Without a path, it's exactly that.. the potential to kill things. A ground probe, if properly functioning, gives it that path. Right through your tank. Right through your fish. Right through your coral. Right through all your other equipment.
The second issue is that a meter reads a "difference of potential." Use a meter to test between a source, (your water if there's a potential voltage there) and ground, and you measure the difference between them. So if you drop a ground probe in your tank, that voltage is now running on your ground full time. That means there's no difference between your water and the ground. So even though electricity is actively flowing through your tank, you can no longer measure it or feel it yourself, but it's still there, and it's doing far more damage.
The third issue is your home itself. In an older home, it's very likely that there are no ground connections to the receptacles, which means that the ground probe isn't connected to ground. If you ever had a handyman add a receptacle, or did it yourself, and didn't tie in a ground wire all the way back to a ground connection in the panel, you don't have a continuous ground anyway.
Use a GFCI. Period. Yes, it will trip. That's because you have a problem. Unplug 1 device.. heater, pump, whatever. Reset the GFCI. If it trips again, that device wasn't your problem. Unplug another, and go again until you find the bad actor. A GFCI trips when there's a difference between what's going "out" on the hot and what's "coming back" on the neutral...stray voltage..voltage that's going anywhere besides where it's supposed to go. That's the only way to protect yourself, your family, and your animals and investment.
There are plug- in GFCI cords you can use if you're not comfortable changing your receptacles out yourself, and can't get an electrician to do it. And GFCI does indeed work fine in a system that doesn't have grounds to the panel. It's what they are designed for.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back