7of9’s 32g Borgcube Biocube

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I got those ramen noodles from @StatelineReefer. They’re the best ramen noodles! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: You’re just jealous because you don’t have saltwater ramen yet. It’s gonna be all the rage once I come up with a fancy name for it.
Hungry Food GIF by 8it

Swamen?

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can swing an IM 20 you would be better off. I wouldn't get a Red Sea with all the problems with seam failures. I find that a 10 gallon that is cube to be small and if it is a 10 gallon I would choose a rectangle. It gives more running space for fish

If you can get live rock (Not LIFE rock) you will not have all that algea problems. Live sand is a waste of money!
maybe it’s just me but actual live rocks goes a LONG WAY i have a 65g tank with around 70 ish lbs of LIFE rock since i loved the shapes and instant color, i added 5lbs of aussie mariculture rock and i haven’t had any major algae issues
maybe it’s just luck but either way i’m not complaining, rock came with all sorts of cool little bugs & such too

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look into the hydros controllers, the more I like what I see! I had planned to kind of cobble together a couple of systems along with an alexa enabled power strip, but I think this might be a better, more cohesive way to go about that and I could always add on later or move it to another tank years down the road.

The great part about not being able to to jump into pouring water into this tank is that I can design my system, rip it apart, and redesign it as many times as I like, all just on paper. I'm going to update my list again today.

Now, I'm starting to think about my stock list, too, and how having a 32 vs. a 15 will impact what's possible there.

I know I want:
a clown pair
some kind of goby - can I have 2 gobies in a 32g? I love them.
a shrimp - currently, I like the idea of a simple skunk cleaner shrimp
Anemones - Is this possible? I had a RFA in my 12g, but it wasn't on purpose - it came with my TBS package and it did great and took over 1/4 of my tank and was my favorite tank resident. Ideally, I'd like something my clowns would enjoy
urchin - my daughter really wants a sea urchin with a hat. I know zero about sea urchins and if one would like a 32g tank
crab - I had a decorator crab in my 12g and he was hilarious. He also was part of the TBS package I got, so I didn't choose him on purpose, but I loved him and his personality. He stuck a piece of hair algae from an outbreak on his shell and looked like a troll doll perched on the top of my live rock.
brittle starfish - another TBS favorite from my old 12g. I loved feeding her and she was like a sea serpent coming out of her cave

I'm guessing I'd start with a goby and a shrimp (after cycle), then add clowns and probably wait a year for the tank to mature before considering the anemone, urchin, crab, or starfish. Last time around, they all went in with my TBS liverock and I totally stressed out through that cycle. It was nuts, looking back.
goby and shrimp would be good IMO
shrimps usually peaceful and goby will have time to find safe spaces / it’s home

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe it’s just me but actual live rocks goes a LONG WAY i have a 65g tank with around 70 ish lbs of LIFE rock since i loved the shapes and instant color, i added 5lbs of aussie mariculture rock and i haven’t had any major algae issues
maybe it’s just luck but either way i’m not complaining, rock came with all sorts of cool little bugs & such too
I went with local live rock in the end, a mix from a LFS and a friend. I've got a little bit of an ugly stage going, but it will pass.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goby and shrimp would be good IMO
shrimps usually peaceful and goby will have time to find safe spaces / it’s home
I'm definitely getting a goby for sure. The shrimp I go back and forth on, wondering if it's worth it or not. Most of the pistol shrimp I've seen just aren't that interesting to look at, but maybe their personality makes up for it?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Starting with live rock is always nice. I started my tank half dry rock from a previous tank tear down, maybe 20 pounds of live from a tank transfer, and probably 40 pounds added over time of homemade Aragocrete. I also added two different brands of bacteria, 80 pounds of AragAlive sand, and 20 pounds of live sand from the tank transfer, and then let it run for a couple of weeks before adding anything. I had corals day 1 because they were on the rocks I transferred.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm definitely getting a goby for sure. The shrimp I go back and forth on, wondering if it's worth it or not. Most of the pistol shrimp I've seen just aren't that interesting to look at, but maybe their personality makes up for it?
Randall's Shrimp are pretty but it's not often you get to see them once they're in the tank.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randall's Shrimp are pretty but it's not often you get to see them once they're in the tank.
I like shrimp, but I think if I have any, it will be a peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, or fire shrimp. Pistol shrimp just don't attract my attention much.

For now, fish are my priority, since I don't yet have any in the tank. I'm thinking a clown pair to start, then a diamond watchman goby. Then, we'll see. I don't mind that those are "basic, common fish." I also like pumpkin spice, so...

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one pistol shrimp I had, that I did like, murdered it's goby, then the replacement goby, then stopped eating. Maybe it was a defective shrimp, but it was a pretty Japanese Red.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one pistol shrimp I had, that I did like, murdered it's goby, then the replacement goby, then stopped eating. Maybe it was a defective shrimp, but it was a pretty Japanese Red.
It was a kamikaze shrimp, apparently.

OP
OP
7of9

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well congrats on the Plank @7of9 ! That's a bit of good news for the week.
It sure is!!! That's something I don't think I ever would have talked myself into buying for myself, so it's great. It's also perfect timing since I'm planning to get my first fish this weekend so long as the vet doesn't drain me dry with the kittens. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 80 47.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back