80 gallon shallow lagoon mixed reef - upgrade time!

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tiger conches had babies!!! :star-struck:
299B8761-6A1A-414C-B0FE-76219500F23D.jpeg

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new fish! My LFS got a little baby pink streaked wrasse in for me. He’s TINY though, so he’s going to live in the refugium for a few months to grow out a bit before going in the DT.

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of changes in the reef over the last month! I was fortunate to adopt a purple tang from a local reefer who was downsizing, and after QT'ing him, introduced him to the display a couple weeks ago. I divided the tank about 60/40 with eggcrate, with the purple tang (named him Prince) on one side and Jeff Goldblum, my established yellow tang, on the other. That divider was in place for about 3 days until Jeff snuck through to the side with Prince on it. Thankfully, I was watching the tank when this happened, because they were going completely berserk on the smaller side together. I quickly removed the divider and watched them closely for the next 2 days. Lots of posturing and chasing, with a little fin damage at first, but they have since calmed down quite a bit. Prince still hides his two favorite caves more often than not, but Jeff Goldblum is acting completely normally again now. Prince took about a week in the DT before he was eating regularly, but now that's going great also. Crossing my fingers that they continue to play nicely together, but if not, I've got a fish trap and am prepared to rehome Prince if it ever becomes necessary.

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing looking tank! If you don't mind, I had a couple of questions! The white on Goldblum's belly seems to come and go. Is that fair or is it just harder to see in some pictures? Planning my livestock and really want a tang and these guys are CB but worried they won't color up like wild ones. Did the mandarin eat frozen from day 1 or was it pods only? Biota makes some amazing CB fish and they factor heavy on my want to stock list. Thank you!

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I've posted an update video, so here ya'll go (click on settings and watch it in HD...looks WAY better) :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an amazing looking tank! If you don't mind, I had a couple of questions! The white on Goldblum's belly seems to come and go. Is that fair or is it just harder to see in some pictures? Planning my livestock and really want a tang and these guys are CB but worried they won't color up like wild ones. Did the mandarin eat frozen from day 1 or was it pods only? Biota makes some amazing CB fish and they factor heavy on my want to stock list. Thank you!
Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Thank you for the kind comments! I think Jeff Goldblum's color is pretty consistently yellow, but in videos his belly can look yellow sometimes depending on the lighting. In person, I honestly can't tell a difference between captive bred and wild caught, now that he's grown up a bit. Mando has been eating frozen and TDO Chroma Boost pellets from day 1. I got the TINY B-1 and B-2 pellets, because his mouth was so small when he was tiny...he's more than doubled in size since I got him though, so when these are used up, I think he'll be able to graduate to C1 pellets.

I <3 @Biota_Marine fish :)

Icedphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't replied earlier. Thank you for the kind comments! I think Jeff Goldblum's color is pretty consistently yellow, but in videos his belly can look yellow sometimes depending on the lighting. In person, I honestly can't tell a difference between captive bred and wild caught, now that he's grown up a bit. Mando has been eating frozen and TDO Chroma Boost pellets from day 1. I got the TINY B-1 and B-2 pellets, because his mouth was so small when he was tiny...he's more than doubled in size since I got him though, so when these are used up, I think he'll be able to graduate to C1 pellets.

I <3 @Biota_Marine fish :)
Thank you for the reply. Definitely a goal to have those 2 species and it's good to hear feed back from someone who went the CB route and has no issues. Thanks again!

OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't busted out the good camera for some photos in a while, so here y'all go!

IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1942.jpg

Jeff Goldblum says hi.
IMG_1945.jpg
IMG_1948.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You capture some amazing photos! As someone who is trying to up their photography game, would you be willing to share a 5 or 10 step process you use for reef photography? What camera/lens? Which camera mode? What camera settings? Editing software? Would love to see this! Great reef!

Last edited:
OP
OP
adittam

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You capture some amazing photos! As someone who is trying to up their photography game, would you be willing to share a 5 or 10 step process you use for reef photography? What camera/lens? Which camera mode? What camera settings? Editing software? Would love to see this! Great reef!
Thank you so much for the kind words! I meant to reply sooner, but forgot about it with the craziness of the holidays.

I’d start by reading my reply in the thread linked below...Please let me know what other questions you have then and I’m happy to help however I can!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/camera-recommendation-2022.896060/post-9968909

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back