90G build question

bigeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, long time lurker here with a question.

I'm taking advantage of the current situation to move from a 30g tank to a 90g. I'll be using the current 30 as my sump.

I've always used canister filters as the tank was fish only with no sand or rocks. But now the reef itch has taken over.

So my first question I'm looking to setup a Bean Animal style overflow. The question I have is how high above the main drain should I have the secondary drain?

Below is how I have the pipes fitting...
20200328_115454.jpg

note they look a little skookem as I couldn't get any 90 street fitting so I had to cut down some regular 90s to get them to fit the eclipse L box.

Second question can I paint the parts in the overflow with acrylic paint? Or should I use a different type? I'd like to colour code my plumbing.

Red = emergency
Yellow = secondary drain
Green = main siphon
Blue = return

Last question I got 2 of the Ice Cap 2K Gyres with dual wifi controller will that be enough/too much flow for a 90g?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!!

I have also cut down PVC 90s to get them to fit. Although some people do paint PVC that is exposed to their tank water (Krylon Fusion is the normal recommendation), I personally avoid paint in my tank.

Here is a post by @ca1ore in a thread on overflow boxes that you might find helpful:

(2) 2k IceCap gyres should be okay for your 90g depending on the aquascaping. At the very least, you could start there and look for any dead spots where detritus (or comparable) is collecting.

#reefsquad

OP
OP
B

bigeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome, like I said been lurking for a while and got a lot of info from this community that helped with issues I had before, but now that i'm stepping up my aquarium game the questions are coming...

Thank you as well for the link I missed that thread which had the 1 question which pipe sets the water height, I want to get this tank as quiet as possible since it's about 10' from my bed so if it has a trickle sound that's too obnoxious i'll increase that pipe height, right now the bottom of the U on the secondary is about 1/2 up the 1 1/2" bulkheads from the display side to the overflow side.

Just waiting on the Amazon delivery person to drop off my nylon hose clamps so I can fill the tank up figure while waiting I'll get my new RO/DI setup on my brute and start filling it.... All hopes are to get it setup over Easter weekend.

The plans for my tank are,

80 lbs Carib-sea Hawaiian black sand with the back painted black.
40 lbs Texas Holey rock,
20 lbs of Carib-sea Life Reef Rock
20 lbs of Carib-sea Branches.

Decor will be a sunken battleship a sunken destroyer and a sunken sub (I know they are goofy but I just a ship in my tank)

Flow will be from the 2 x Ice cap 2K gyres and if extra flow is needed I have 2 Hydor wave makers with controller I can use as well.

ATO will be a Coral box ATO

Lighting was made by my fiancee's father over in China, looks very similar to some of the other Chinese market lights I know it's not perfect but it was a free gift and he makes all the lights on his fish tanks so I won't turn it down. In the long run I'll upgrade this to the Aqua illumination Prim HD lights (probably my X-mas gift to myself this year)

I'll be adding a Hang on side refugium when it comes in, I'm not doing one in the sump at this time as I'm thinking of getting one made and when I do that move I'll migrate the refugium down there.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my tank the middle of the horizontal portion of the secondary drain is at the top of the full siphon. The full siphon is completely underwater and the trickle of water in the secondary drain is about half way up it.

Sorry for all the algae....no one in the overflow to eat it. :)
overflow.jpg

Is any of this plumbing visible?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height of the secondary sets the water level in the overflow. I have about a 1/2" drop and it's almost silent. Adjust the gate valve on the full siphon so there is just a trickle going down the secondary. When you look in your sump you should hardly see any bubbles at all coming out of the secondary.

OP
OP
B

bigeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The height of the secondary sets the water level in the overflow. I have about a 1/2" drop and it's almost silent. Adjust the gate valve on the full siphon so there is just a trickle going down the secondary. When you look in your sump you should hardly see any bubbles at all coming out of the secondary.

That's great information there, and thanks for showing how you did it in your overflow box.

Now I'm starting to think I'm getting it right... but I'll find out tomorrow once I fill her up and test it out.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great information there, and thanks for showing how you did it in your overflow box.

Now I'm starting to think I'm getting it right... but I'll find out tomorrow once I fill her up and test it out.

bigeasy,

Welcome to the Reef 2 Reef, family

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back