90gallon with sump. First attempt at triton.

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed a deal for a Marineland 90g with a custom cherry stand. So there was my invitation to give the triton method a shot. I ended up going with the Eshopps R-200 3rd Gen using Algae Barns macro starter kit (chaeto, red ogo, Pom Pom, ulva) and it seems to be doing well, however the copepod shipment arrived frozen. I can’t blame Algae Barn as the weather in New York was 8 degrees that day. They were cool about it and I’m currently awaiting a new shipment. Tank is cycled and at the moment I’ve only got a few clownfish and some blue-green chromis. 90lbs of reef rock, 90lbs of sand (which I plan to remove later in small amounts during maintenance) 3 eflux 1050gph powerheads. Current USA Marine IC pro dual LED fixtures, and I am currently in the process of acquiring some T-5 fixtures from which I will run blue plus or an actinic bulb. Hydor Auto top off, InkbirdSmart Thermostat and Chiller control. Hygger 800gph and uniclef 1050gph I plan to add later. The one pump seems to be keeping up with it just fine though. I currently have a CPR overflow box as the tank is tempered and unable to be drilled. . However it has no issues keeping up with the flow demand. I guess the main goal here is a high flow closed system I can dose as needed. I feed phyto and Mysis and also hope to establish a nice copepod population. My Only problem is that my skimmer appears as if it won’t fit under my cabin (reef octopus 150int Classic) anyone with any ideas? Wish me luck either way lol and any wisdom would always be appreciated as this is my first shot at Titan. Thanks everyone!!!

F5B476AD-31C2-4861-BD67-3EBA8CD081B2.jpeg 0C56BDE9-A62E-41B5-B954-17E269C3CBCB.jpeg 2A3B1210-16E3-4DE1-881E-148F7903CA24.jpeg

T_BONE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty good! And welcome to R2R! With a system that size you could get away with doing a Reef Octo 110 with a light to moderate bioload. Or possibly getting an external skimmer would be another option. Be sure to keep us updated on the progress.

OP
OP
D

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really only see 2 options. 1. I cut the drawer away from the inside so the space behind it can accommodate the skimmer or 2. I try and find an external option I can run outside of the sump. I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years and my knowledge of options regarding the latter are few and far between. Any suggestions?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back