93 cube with rs 75 sump

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used an eshoppes rs 75 sump with their 93 cube i know the sump is rated for 75 gallons but i have one and was hoping to be able to use it ,i have it on my 40b now and plan to drill it and use an external pump but not sure it can handle the backwash if the power goes out and if it wont work any suggestions on a good sump

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. I've got an RS100 on a 60g cube, with an external pump.
How much water falls into the sump when you turn off the return pump depends on several factors...
  • How much water is above the lowest exit from the tank?
  • Are the standpipes SEALED in the bulkheads?
  • Is there some sort of siphon break in the return lines, and how low in the tank are they?
Really, the only way to be sure is to get it up and running, and test it. If it's overfilling the sump, a taller standpipe in the overflow, an anti-siphon hole just at the water level in the return assembly... some combination might help. On a 90g cube, you're looking at a 30x30" waterline. That's going to be what, 4 gallons per inch? That RS75 is 18x10x16, it's only going to hold 12 gallons of water, figure it's normally what, 1/2 full? If the water level in your display falls more than an inch, you're likely to overflow it. Count in the pipe runs, and it might not even hold that inch. If the standpipe leaks water into the bulkhead, and the entire overflow box drains into the sump, it's never going to be able to hold it.

One thing I don't recommend, depending on anti-back flow valves to prevent flooding. I've never been able to trust them.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you put that way it makes sense i have a larger sump but its crappy , i really like the eshopps design i guess ill save up and get the rs 100

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the R100 3rd gen. The return pump compartment very small, is in the rear, and hard to reach in my stand. The refugeum compartment was too small to really be of any use to me. Sold it and bought the RS100. I like it much better. I'm thinking about an upgrade, perhaps, some time down the road, and if I end up doing it, I'll buy an RS300.

There's several good sump makers around these days, with all sorts of features. Eshopps is kinda down-scale, compared to some, but both that I bought were well assembled, quality products, and the price is right.

In years past, I always bought a cheap tank and glued in a few baffles. I have to say, I like the commercial sumps much better.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back