A couple anemone questions

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I was wondering if I could keep a rose and green bta together without any problems, tank is a 20 gallon long. I was also wondering about people’s experience with mini maxis and then eating fish? I want to get a clown goby and worry about him getting eaten by it. Also, for some reason my clowns only host my rbta at night, and I was wondering why. Sorry for all the questions lol, thanks.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pump the brakes a little. How long has the tank been running? I had a really hard time with anemone until the tank matured. That being said I have 2 rainbows and 2 rose that have no problem with each other. Usually if an anemone gets a fish, they were weak or dying before the Nem got ahold of it.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the tank is a couple months old, not sure how many exactly, anemone is doing good so far, am going to wait a little before adding the green bta, but I was wondering why my clowns only host at night? Thanks for the replies

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of anemones in new tanks, I made that mistake but learned from it and waited a couple of months, and got another that’s doing great

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware of anemones in new tanks, I made that mistake but learned from it and waited a couple of months, and got another that’s doing great
Give that one 2 or 3 months and see if everything works out. Then add another. Clowns do what clowns do. Mine were hosted by a powerhead for 2 years. Even with multiple anemone in the tank.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give that one 2 or 3 months and see if everything works out. Then add another. Clowns do what clowns do. Mine were hosted by a powerhead for 2 years. Even with multiple anemone in the tank.
Yeah that’s what I am going to do is wait a couple months and get another if it does well, and yeah clowns are weird lol but I love them. Thanks for the advice edit: will the green and rose bta be fine touching? And will I need to run any carbon

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns hosted my Closed flowerpot, My frogspawn garden only at night, zoas, sponge, lobo, and duncan within a matter of 2 days. Now they don't host anything. Clowns are odd

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s what I am going to do is wait a couple months and get another if it does well, and yeah clowns are weird lol but I love them. Thanks for the advice edit: will the green and rose bta be fine touching? And will I need to run any carbon
I run carbon either way so not sure if it makes a difference. Mine have all touched at one point or another without issue.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon in all of my tanks.. It is AMAZING how much clearer the water is when it is there. Carbon will keep the water from getting that yellow tinge to it, which reduces light and makes the tank appear dirtier than it is. It is cheap and simple to use.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about it but have heard it reduces nutrients or something like that? I have softies so I worry about that

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about it but have heard it reduces nutrients or something like that? I have softies so I worry about that
Most softies are pretty much bomb proof. The thing that will hurt ANY coral the most is bad lighting. I believe the benefit of using it FAR outweighs any nutrient loss.

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most softies are pretty much bomb proof. The thing that will hurt ANY coral the most is bad lighting. I believe the benefit of using it FAR outweighs any nutrient loss.
Interesting, I have good lighting so that won’t be a problem, what are some major benefits from carbon that you experience?

OP
OP
C

clownfish07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I have good lighting so that won’t be a problem, what are some major benefits from carbon that you experience?

For myself, the biggest thing I have noticed is water clarity. When I started using carbon in my filters I noticed a dramatic improvement in the clarity of my water. As I said, that yellow tinge that all aquariums get is no longer there.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back